Hello, I'm New And Waiting For My Dog!

Guest KatyC

Well we knew of the place through my sister in law getting their greyhound eli from there. So I gave them an email to speak about our situation and if she thought we would be suitable and then had a phone call about it and the lady said she had a dog in mind who was still racing but she thought that she would fit in well with us and also was a relation of eli (sister we found out later). The next Saturday we drove there to see peggy and any others that might be suitable. We briefly saw another dog first and then peggy. We took her into the paddock and spent some time with her ( and got smitten!) Since then we have been to see her race and got to give her a cuddle afterwards which was nice. She is due to be spayed a month before we get her and then she will recover for the remaining time in the ladies house so will get a bit acclimatised to not being kenneled. Then when she comes to us at the beginning of january they will do a homecheck. We will give 100 pound donation and get a lead, collar, bag of food, muzzle and a months free insurance :) a bargain!!

Is the process different in the usa?

I wasn't sure... In the US, traditionally, you fill out an application with one of the rescue groups in your area. Then the group tries to match you to a dog who is appropriate for your lifestyle, other pets, etc. There are usually a handful to choose from who are either in foster homes or in a kennel that contracts with (or is owned by) the adoption group. They work with the dogs for awhile to evaluate their personalities. So by the time you are ready to choose, the group has a pretty good idea of which dogs are safe with cats, other dogs, and children. If none of those work, there are more dogs standing by at the racetracks. There is usually a fee the adopter pays to cover veterinary expenses, muzzle, and a standard collar/lead. Some people are able to adopt directly from the racetrack if there is a particular dog they are interested in. It pretty much depends on where you live and which adoption group you're working with. I live in the Pittsburgh area, and there are at least five different groups that have their own ways of doing things. Interesting to see both similiarities and differences between countries!

My DBF is in finance (Global Banks with BNY Mellon) so there is always a chance we could end up somewhere else in the world.

That's interesting! They obviously put in a lot of work to find a suitable dog for you which is really good :)

Well if you were to move over this way ever there are lots of adoption groups in the uk. We had to travel about an hour, but there were closer ones :)

(I actually work for an american company in the uk by chance! As does my partner.)

the place peggy is from is an adoption centre but also kennels racers as well so peggy has been there nearly 4 years. I think she deserves a squishy bed now :)

I'm just hoping that she enjoys living with us, although we are so excited it is a little bit nerve racking too. I raised and trained my parents dog (flat-coated retriever) from a puppy and have always had dogs growing up but this will be my first dog of my own. So its very exciting :)

How many greys have you got a_daerr? (sorry I don't know your name!)

How many greys have you got a_daerr? (sorry I don't know your name!)

My name is Alicia :)

And we have two greyhounds currently, Henry (turning 5-years-old next month) and Truman (14 months). Henry is a retired racer (he only ran 10 races, and was retired at age 2 1/2). Truman we got as an AKC puppy. He was bred for professional show, but was not able to compete due to having only one descended testicle. There were times with boy of my boys that I thought, "OMG, I made a terrible mistake!" But with some time and patience, they really do become amazing dogs. I think you're going to have a lot of fun with Peggy. From her pictures alone, she looks like she has a really cute, goofy personality.

Aw thanks :) I think she will be goofy!. I'll keep in mind what you've said about time and patience :) and thanks for taking the time to write to me. I really appreciate it!

Guest FijiHound

I understand ALL about the waiting game :). I live in Fiji and had to adopt my greyhound from Australia as New Zealand did not adopt out of the country. Bad enough waiting for the dog they felt would fit with me, let alone the shipping and quarantine times (it was only 7 days but felt like forever!!! Especially knowing she was in the same country!) I applied in August and Miss Nugget arrived safe and sound in Fiji on the 1st of Feb :).

I was just in the UK a few weeks ago, in Cornwall and got excited about the handful of greyhounds I saw :lol Nugget was the only one that I had ever met AND the only one in Fiji.

I would recommend holding off on all the toys till she arrives though - I still have a box full of new toys that she refuses to look at and it'll be 2 years in Feb! :lol

(Although she does have a lovely collection of collars now)

Peggy looks gorgeous - exciting times!!! :)

Aw wow! You really did have to wait a long time! Cornwall is lovely, although no where as nice as fiji I would guess!

We won't buy anymore toys yet then! We've already got a few, which my parents dog hunts out and steals whenever he comes over bless him!

I seem to see more and more greyhounds lately, which is lovely as it means more people giving them homes :)

Aw wow! You really did have to wait a long time! Cornwall is lovely, although no where as nice as fiji I would guess!

We won't buy anymore toys yet then! We've already got a few, which my parents dog hunts out and steals whenever he comes over bless him!

I seem to see more and more greyhounds lately, which is lovely as it means more people giving them homes :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd put up some more pictures of Peggy, as I am getting desperate for her now! 26 days to go!

Peggy and my fiancee Jay :)

p5.jpg

Having a sniff :)

p6.jpg

Me and the Peg (apologies for my moon face I was being battered by freezing winds just before it snowed!)

p7.jpg

Guest Jenniferz13

Wow peggy looks gorgeous! My wait seemed like forever too. I adopted Stanely in September and he raced 87 times. Now hes the king of 3 sofas at my house. Congrats to you!

Thank you :) Time seems to be going so slowly! I'm sure you felt that too. I think she had her last race this week! Did you see stanley race? Its very nerveracking to watch!

How has stanley settled in? Any tips for me?

• 3 weeks later...