Raw Feeding : Beef Question

Josie

Otis is raw fed (mostly poultry) and it's going good.

FIL is a butcher and is offering us for xmas 1/4 beef that he will cutt himself...

I was wondering what parts that normally butcher discard I could ask him to keep for Otis...

thanks!

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I would probably take any part he has! I have friends who order half or quarter cows for their families and I take all of the extras that they don't want to eat. Last year I got tongue, tail, heart, liver, and kidney plus some freezer burned roasts. Also, any trim or bones are great if you can get them. I have even fed things like stomach, lung and spleen. My butcher here saves boxes of beef and lamb trim, heart, offal, etc. for raw feeders. It is fresh, local and great quality (no hormones or antibiotics), just not the type of parts most people want to eat.

Guest KennelMom

When we get our cow every year from a local farmer, we tell the slaughterhouse that we want everything. We don't get the skin, brain, eyes and really weird parts but the all the weird scraps, organs and random bits and bobbles get put in bags labeled "dog scraps" or "dog bones"

thanks!

well Otis is not really a 'bone chewer" so wont give too much bones to entertain him... I bought him some beef ribs last summer and he chew about 10-15minutes and left them in the yard...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop