Elsie Osteo Update

RobinM

My beautiful cowgirl has osteo. She is 13.5. We are still in dark and cold 13 days after Sandy ripped through our long sland waterfront home. We are keeping her and the rest of the pack warm with a generator with 3 heaters, hot water bottle and fleece blankets. We are all in the den and have the windows and doorways tarped.

She is wearing the harness made by carol over at Gods Greyts. Others than getting up 4-5 times a day to pee/poop she doesn't move.

She is eating well (on her bed which she has always done) taking and demanding cookies.

We have a ramp which we had made for polli after her amp back in 08. I take her each and every time by leash to make sure she doesn't slip and fall. She is shaky. Very shaky.

And then as the day gets underway, Elsie will sit on her bed and bark incessantly for her cookies. 2 days again she got 14 chicken strips within 30 minutes as she just kep barking LOUD at me. That's my Elsie.

She is eating well 3 times a day which she always did, that's how she is getting her meds. I give 150 mg rimydal and 75 - 100mg tramadol in the morning. 50 mg of tram about 2-3 pm and then at 8 she gets her last meal with 50mg of rimydal and 50 mg of tram. Total 150 rimydal and 200 tram.

Basically the only thing she's not doing any differently is meandering around the yard and playing hide and seek outside with me which up 2 weeks she was doing.

The most important thing for me is to keep her pain low without wiping her out.

Please keep her in your prayers and thoughts.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PhillyPups

Robin, this part of the journey so sukks, it is the part of the dance where we are stepping all over our toes, but the Dance is so worth it.

I know you will do what is right for Elsie, all our feelings aside.

Guest IrskasMom

OMG . I am Heartbroken to read this. The Condition you have to live , hopefully not much longer . You are all in our Thoughts and Prayers. I honestly did not realize , Elsie is that old/young. The most Important Plan is Pain Control. I am really praying hard.

Guest jettcricket

Oh Robin....I'm so sorry about your Elsie and your current situation. :( Keeping you, Rich and all your furbabies in thoughts and prayers. If there's anything I can do, please let me know. I wish we were closer.

Oh Robin, it sounds like Elsie is still ruling with an iron paw :beatheart. I'm keeping you, Rich, Elsie and the rest of your pack close in my thoughts :grouphug

Have you discussed with your vet about adding gabapentin for pain relief? There have been many of those with osteo that have been helped by adding it along with Rimadyl and Tramadol.

Have you discussed with your vet about adding gabapentin for pain relief? There have been many of those with osteo that have been helped by adding it along with Rimadyl and Tramadol.

I was also going to suggest this. It made a huge difference for Gabe.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how much Elsie means to you.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Robin, I am sorry beyond words. We here all know how special Elsie is to you and what an incredible spirit she has. I hope you have as many good painful days as possible with your special girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear about Elsie. As you well know, osteo sucks. Adding gabapentin helped my guys too. You may be able to increase the tramadol too. Hugs to your cow doggie.

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

8:45 am- What am I doing? Just because she eats, is that a reason to keep her going? Am I waiting for her to not eat?

Am I waiting until she can't move at all.

Do I give her the final gift and let her go on a full belly, lots of cookies?

What I am about to write was written 1 hour after I started THIS post.

9:37 Elsie whimpered ever so slightly and I knew she had to poop. I helped her up, rich was waking the other dogs. Put leash on and went to ramp and she froze. I tried coaxing her but more than usual she was not moving. She splayed, I went down on ramp trying to lift her (she is a big, solid girl of 70 pounds) and she was on top of me. She pooped right there. I said good girl good girl in my normal animated voice to her wondering how the hell I was going to get her and me up. I was literally screaming help but no help was to be had. How I lifted the harness with me on the bottom I don't know. We got back in the house and she hobbled into her bed and is eating her cookies. I called my vet. She will be here about 6 ish.

Please wish ms Elsie Lou the most peaceful of passing. I am destroyed.

Eta. I wanted so much for Elsie to let me know. She did.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh no. I am so sorry for everything you've been through. I'll be thinking of you and your sweet girl and praying that her passing is peaceful.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so very sorry. Osteo sucks. Hugs to you and your beloved Elsie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:weep It's a heartbreaking decision to make. The right thing to do is not always the easy thing to do. I'm so sorry.

How very true these words are. Robin, I too am very sorry :( . Please know that you and Elsie will be surrounded by those who are holding you in their thoughts. Give that sweet girl a gentle kiss for me.

I'm sorry Robin.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

:hope Sending prayers for all of you.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown