Coyote Greyhound Encounter

I let Tracker loose in my 2 acres fenced in field (former goat pasture) every few days so he can run (we live in a rural area). This morning, right after I took off the leash, he immediately put his nose to the ground and got really excited. He started tracking something like a bloodhound. When I looked into the direction he was headed towards, I noticed a coyote at the far end of the field, running along the fence to find an escape route. The poor guy kept jumping up the fence to get across and couldn't. He was clearly in a panic. Tracker spotted him at the same time and took off like a bullet. I had no idea what to do--recall isn't exactly Tracker's strength and he would have never "heard" me anyway. I had no idea whom I had to worry more about. Anyway, the coyote realized he couldn't jump the fence so he decided to run, and he did so towards me. He ran like a rabbit--changing direction constantly, which worked pretty well. Tracker had a blast and didn't look like he was actually really serious about getting the coyote, because I think he could have, had he tried. Eventually, Tracker cornered the coyote into a fence corner, after he (the coyote) bashed into the fence near me pretty hard (I just cringed, but he seemed unharmed). Tracker clearly didn't know what to do next, he just stood there watching the coyote. He then approached him slowly, the coyote lunged at him and bit him in his hock, which made Tracker yelp, back off, and just stand there looking. By that time, I had fetched the leash, called Tracker, and he immediately responded, to my major surprise, by slowly walking towards me. The coyote, in the meantime, did the only smart thing, which was to not move. We left the field and I left the gate wide open so the coyote could leave later. I have no idea how he got in there, because all gates are always closed, but maybe he had the time to push through a narrow gap somewhere when he first entered.

Tracker has a less than dime size wound, that's clean and will heal nicely.

Maybe my dog simply doesn't have enough of a prey drive (something to be grateful for)?

Anyway, suffice it to say I'll check the pasture for uninvited guests in the future before I let the dog loose.

Edited by christinepi

Guest greytone

Oh my goodness! How scary!

My hubby and I live in the county with 7.5 acres and I am constantly worried about wild life getting in the fenced in area. I know we've had deer, coons, rabbits, and cats in the fenced in area but they've gotten out by themselves. I guess I've just gotten in a habit of turning on the backyard light and then take the flashlight and shine for other furry creatures.

Guest RooMcClanahan

Holy cow, Tracker earned his name tonight! So glad everyone is relatively ok. Very impressive that you were able to keep a cool, clear head throughout. :thumbs-up

That is good news Tracker and you are okay. Any cornered animal will fight so it's good the bite wasn't worse.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

When we lived on the Illinois side of Terre Haute, Indiana we had 17 1/2 acres and our gh, Icabod. He actually was off leash whenever on our property (never anywhere else). There was still a short stretch of fence left from a cow pasture. Icabod had absolutely no prey drive. While he was sniffing away near an abandoned tractor trailer I saw what I thought was a dog jump the fence, then another, then yet another. They all looked identical, then I realized they were coyotes. They were running like he!! to get out of there. Icabod never noticed them. We had loads of coyotes down there.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Guest greybookends

Glad Tracker wasn't hurt. However since he did get bit you might want to take him to the vet to get a rabies booster just to be on the safe side.

I'm really not that surprised. Only two of our eight greyhounds (lifetime, we only have four at home now) have had any clue what to do with an animal once they catch it. It's almost like once the "prey" stops moving, they're stumped, and they just stand there and wait for it to move again. :dunno On their own anyway. If they're in a pack, all bets are off and any small animal is usually extremely unlucky.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

OMG !!!! You are so very lucky. We live in a very rural area and coyotes generally dig under to get in our yard. Also 2.5 acres,

fully fenced. The coyote got our tri-pod grey. Ripped he skin all the way off on her right side. We think the only reason

She "got-away" was the other 5 Greys heard her yelp and came out to see what was going on and scared it away.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest grey_dreams

Glad to hear that Tracker is ok. Maybe a vet trip would be worth it, let the vet look at and treat the wound and tell you about other possible complications. I'm sure you will be checking the area pretty grood now. Really happy to hear that the incident wasn't worse.

OMG !!!! You are so very lucky. We live in a very rural area and coyotes generally dig under to get in our yard. Also 2.5 acres,

fully fenced. The coyote got our tri-pod grey. Ripped he skin all the way off on her right side. We think the only reason

She "got-away" was the other 5 Greys heard her yelp and came out to see what was going on and scared it away.

Wow, I hope she is ok!

Oh, the poor thing!

Must have been terrified.

I know a Greyhound who died crashing into a fence...so all in all it worked out OK, but I would have the bite looked at I think.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Glad Tracker wasn't hurt. However since he did get bit you might want to take him to the vet to get a rabies booster just to be on the safe side.

Exactly my thought. My dogs have run coyotes many times, but the coyotes (and deer and whatever else)

always have space to get away. Glad your guy is o.k. and there was not more than one coyote trapped in

the pen.

Thanks for the suggestion. he actually got his most recent rabies shot only 3 months ago. But I'm wondering does anyone know about any other coyote communicable diseases?

Distemper.

Guest greybookends

Thanks for the suggestion. he actually got his most recent rabies shot only 3 months ago. But I'm wondering does anyone know about any other coyote communicable diseases?

A few years ago 4 of mine caught a cat in the back yard. The cat did not go down quietly. The cat had no tags. The vet gave ALL of them a rabies booster even Bill who had just gotten his rabies just the month before.

I'd definately make time for a vet visit...infections, whatever. Tracker is very very lucky. Unfortunately we also have coyotes in our neighbourhood and we live in the suburbs.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I would've been so scared and probably pooped in my pants ! So glad everything turned out ok! Glad I have a small yard!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but SPOOT WARNING!! I just laughed so hard that my coworkers came around to ask what was so funny.

Whoooo, that was scary. I'm glad your boy is OK and the coyote made it out relatively unscathed. Did the vet give a rabies booster? Usually if it's been more than 2 weeks since their last booster they'll give them another if the dog has been bitten by a suspected rabid animal.

Mine turn into psychopaths when they see a coyote. Even gentle Raven. They get a crazy gleam in their eyes and snarl and bark so hard spit flies from their mouths. You don't need a translator to hear them barking, "Kill! Kill! Kill!" Not sure what it is about coyotes that inspires such hatred, but it's frightening to behold. Several years ago we had a bad experience once involving several coyotes trying to incite my dogs into jumping the fence so they could pack up on them, the dogs flinging themselves against the fence to get at them and me in my pajamas trying to drag two enraged hounds back to the house through 3 1/2 feet of snow without getting bitten. Fun. Not.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg