Acana Kibble

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

I am wondering if this food is too high in protein for my 2 greys. My male seems to *toot* a lot, but my female doesn't. Just wondering if anyone uses this food and how your dogs health is on it.

Guest WhiteWave

If I could afford it Acana would be one of my top 3 choices. My dogs did very well on the food but feeding 6 dogs it got too pricey. You may try cutting back a little on the food and see if that helps. It is a rich food and easy to over feed on.

Acana is produced about 10 miles from me and I have toured the plant and am very impressed with the quality of the operation. All ingredients are locally sourced I fed Acana for a number of years (not the lamb one) prior to switching to raw and still recommend it as a good choice for our adopters.

Mine had gas as well though - but good poops.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I love Acana...I hardly feed kibble so I can't give a complete review, but so far it is the only kibble I have tried that I like the ingredients of, and that doesn't cause problems on the other end when I mix it in. Orijin didn't work at all, I am actually not even sure the difference between the two (same company isn't it??) but for me the Acana worked out great. It is expensive, but it gives me piece of mind to know the ingredients are from here, and since I don't feed it exclusively a medium bag lasts me for 2 dogs for over a month. :)

This is what we feed - the Wild Prairie blend. This was the 3rd or 4th kibble we tried Bella on and her gas is almost non-existent on it, great poops, great overall health, etc. Tried the Pacifica (fish-based) - disastrous poops, horrible gas. Blended in some of the Ranchlands when we almost ran out of Wild Prairie and that works well for us, too.

Bella gets about 2.5 cups/day so one 28.5lb bag lasts about 6 weeks. I order it from PetFlow so it comes on a schedule - it's been the easiest way for us to do it since it's not all that widely carried by stores.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

When the XL Foods recall was going on I contacted them to find out if any of their beef was sourced from there. Here is their response, the key part of which describes their quality control process:

"We do not purchase any product from XL Foods, so the beef recall from this company does not affect our ingredient supply.

Our Quality Assurance department follows protocols for testing from the time ingredients enter our plant, through production, and packaging.Once the food is released to the warehouse it goes into a Quality Assurance Hold area. Our Quality Assurance technicians sample the product and send it to a Government Certified Laboratory for Microbiological testing. Every sample is tested for known pathogens: Salmonella, Listeria, Clostridium, and Enterobacteriaceae which includes E. Coli and other Coliforms.

All of our finished kibble is held before shipping in order to have Nutritional testing as well. No product is shipped until all of our tests come back clear."

I sure hope whatever happened, they are back on full production soon!

Edited to make the font more readable.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Good to hear, I was going to switch over to Orijen, but the food supply store said that their greyhound customers have been using the Acana, Made by the same company but is lower in protein and may contain grains (like oats).

The difference between Acana and Orijen is the proportions of meat to carbs/veg/fruits. For instance Acana Pacifica is 60% fish and 40% carbohydrate/vegetables/fruits with a protein level of 33% compared to Orijen 6 Fish which is a 80/20 split with a 38% protein level. I used to feed the Orijen 6 Fish and all mine did super on it.

Acana has a wide range of products from those with grains and those without. I like that they have also developed single source protein foods for those on limited protein source diets.

Yep, Acana is lower in protein which Bella does better on and is grain-free. I was able to order my normal 28 lb bag of Wild Prairie again so I think they're back on track.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Acana and Orijen are made by the same company (Champion) and Acana is lower in protein which is why I like it. As far as I know, Acana is also grain free.

I am feeding Orijen at the moment due to the fire. I'll be switching back to Acana when it becomes available

again here. I too prefer the lower protein.

Acana and Orijen are made by the same company (Champion) and Acana is lower in protein which is why I like it. As far as I know, Acana is also grain free.

Some are grain free (Regionals) But the classics contain steel cut oats as a single grain;

http://acana.com/products/classics

I hadn't realized that since I have always used Ranchlands, thank you for that information. If I were going to go with a grain-inclusive food, oats would be an attractive choice.

Guest Celestrina

Just started a bag of Instincts Beef and Lamb. We had to switch cold turkey because we didn't have enough for a slow transition. Keeping our fingers crossed that she doesn't get the big D.