Do You Consider Greyhounds High Maintenance?

Guest KTPrime

Compared to other dogs my family had growing up, greyhounds are air ferns.

Separation anxiety can occur with any breed of dog. Riley had it at first. What worked for us was alone training. For 15 minutes before I left, I ignored him. For 15 minutes after I returned, I ignored him. My leavings and returnings were very boring. I left him only for a few seconds at first. Then a few minutes. Then half an hour. We worked up to leaving for several hours at a time. My neighbor (whose own dog had separation anxiety and howled terribly) was helpful in letting me know when/if he cried, and for how long. Within a few weeks I could leave him all day. I still do the ignoring thing before and after I go out. It's hard to resist a happy bouncing dog who rejoices when you come home, but making your comings and goings a non-event is very important. A turnout muzzle will help prevent him from chewing things.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest KTPrime

As far as ignoring for 15 minutes when you come home - the first thing I do when I come home is let him out, because he's about ready to burst after I've been at work for 8 hours. Do you wait 15 mins to take yours out? I don't think my pup could handle it!

In "I'll Be Home Soon" the point isn't to ignore the dog, rather to make your arrival unexciting. Walk in the door calmly and walk straight to the leash and clip it on and calmly go outside to potty. Say hi and be kind but don't be exciting don't make high pitch squeals etc. The excitement comes when he's going potty outside with you.

Edited by inugrey

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

As far as ignoring for 15 minutes when you come home - the first thing I do when I come home is let him out, because he's about ready to burst after I've been at work for 8 hours. Do you wait 15 mins to take yours out? I don't think my pup could handle it!

He has access to a dog door and a small run during the day. If he didn't, I'd let him out. I just wouldn't make eye contact, act excited or pet/interact with him for that 15-minute window. I'd just matter-of-factly open the door to let him out.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg