Weight Gain For Sensative Stomach

Guest Trentsmom

Guest Trentsmom

My two 1.5 yr greys need to gain some weight, one has a fairly sensitive belly. I found recommendations for raw eggs on line- anyone give raw eggs? I tried hot dogs purely for calorie content, but that was too much for him and resulted in diarrhea.

If there's a food he does well with, why not just feed him more of that? Maybe a third meal in the day? Rather than play Russian roulette with what might or might not agree with him, if you have no idea what he might not tolerate. Kibble is more calorie-dense than most things you might supplement with, anyway.

FWIW my grey's "sensitive stomach" turned out to be an inability to tolerate excessive fat, which I learned after she had a close call with pancreatitis. Looking back pretty much all her diarrhea incidents before that were linked to fattier foods. She is much much more stable on a low fat diet.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest wylie_coyote

We feed raw eggs in with their kibble. Maybe 2 to 3x a week but non of ours have sensitive stomachs.

I did cut back on the eggs (was every other day) because all were gaining weight. I also now pull the skin off their chicken quarters for the same reason. With what we feed our pups these 2 things were probably a big factor in their weight gain.

I don't think I can be much more help but I am sure someone else on here will give you some advice, lots of experience around here :)

If there's a food he does well with, why not just feed him more of that? Maybe a third meal in the day? Rather than play Russian roulette with what might or might not agree with him, if you have no idea what he might not tolerate. Kibble is more calorie-dense than most things you might supplement with, anyway.

:nod Excellent advice, which I believe is the best way to go unless the dogs won't eat more of their regular food. If the dogs are self-regulating and won't eat more kibble, then I'd reassess whether they really need to gain weight. Your greyhounds are both very young, and it often just takes time for them to fill in. As long as the dog is healthy, I don't worry too much if a young, active dog is slightly underweight.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg