Yelp While Pooping

Guest BrindleBoy

Guest BrindleBoy

This probably isn't a big deal, and I did search for the subject, but didn't find anything.

We have a short-time foster, displaced because of Sandy, and she hadn't pooped since the day we got her... so it was 3 days until she pooped again. However, she was barely eating anything, no doubt due to stress, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Last night, she gave out little whimpers when getting up from a snooze, and while she was walking around. Then she went to be and slept fine. Walked her this morning, and she FINALLY pooped- and let out one loud yelp when she did. Probably just constipation? The owner didn't mention anything about problems in this area, and I know she eats because she's a bit overweight.

Otherwise, she has settled in nicely, and acts perfectly normal. Even after the "incident."

We may only have her for 1-3 more days, as the owner is supposed to get power back, but wanted to gather info to give the owner when we return her.

It could be impacted (or compacted, I can never remember which) feces. When I was walking a dog that did this and was brought to the very she said it would only get worse without intervention. She didn't give 1 yelp though. She screamed and screamed. It was horrible.

It could be anal glands issues.

Or it could just be constipation. If it was 1 quick yelp and she is acting fine otherwise, I might just keep an eye on her.

It may be helpful to try to increase her fluid intake to help moisten the stool and make it easier for her next time.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest BrindleBoy

1) we can smell her anal glands, a couple times a day, figured it was also due to stress, as well as not pooping. I forgot to put that in the original post, that we thought her anal glands might have something to do with it.

2) she's been drinking fine, just not eating much. Finally got her to eat some last night and this morning.

Guest BlueCrab

If you can smell the anal glands, that might really be the problem. They may be impacted or infected and probably should have a look-at from a vet. Normal bowel movement is supposed to aid in regular emptying of the anal glands, but oftentimes doesn't work that way. Particularly if there have been irregularity issues.

I never cease to be amazed by the dog owners out there who have not idea about anal glands. They've never had their dogs' checked or cleaned, didn't even know such a thing existed. One of our bridge guys had problematic glands that had to be cleaned a couple times a year and regularly threatened to become impacted. Our other bridge guy had fistula back there, which was worse.

Edited by BlueCrab

I have pup who can literally hold it for 48 hours or more. I have a fenced in yard but he will ONLY poop on leashed walks. He's quirky. If I can't get him out for a walk due to storms or other general life craziness, he will yelp when he poops. I have to be super diligent with him to make sure I don't let him go over 24 hours. I've had him for three years an he's always been like this. I did ask my vet about it and he said not to worry unless he started straining. Like I said, he's quirky but no worse for the wear.

I don't know about yelping, but I have definitely emitted an audible sigh of relief after pooping. :gmark

TMI???

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I don't know about yelping, but I have definitely emitted an audible sigh of relief after pooping. :gmark

TMI???

:rofl And yes!

If the poop was hard and very large in diameter and it doesn't happen again (and normal bowel movements resume) I might not worry about it. It happens occasionally mostly with my girl Violet. I feed a raw diet and too much bone in one meal can cause overly hard stool - I've noticed sometimes she'll end up with lots of smaller pieces of rock hard stool that try to come out at once making for too large of a diameter of hard stool. How's that for detail? :P

Anyway, I think it's not impossible if she was constipated, but if it happens again, I would take her into the vet. Infected anal glands can become pretty problematic so it's something I'd want to nip in the butt.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FinnsMom

If your smelling anal glands they need to be expressed.

I was just going to say the same thing. I had a pitbull that had gland problems. She had the best poops of any dog I have ever owned but every few months would still have to get her glands expressed.

Guest BrindleBoy

2 days later, update: she finally pooped again, same result. Yelped. Poop was ROCK hard, much harder than my dog's ever is. And we are smelling her anal glands less, but still smelling them

? - we read that stress can cause the anal glands to express? That's what we assumed it was since she's misplaced from her home and pack.

The owner is supposed to have power back no later than sunday. She'll probably poop one more time between now and then. I'll tell the owner she nets to go to the vet. I'd take her myself if I had the time and money. I feel bad for the owner: she has 3 dogs, one of them is 16 and not doing well...heading to the bridge soon, and the owner herself was just diagnosed with pneumonia, and now her grey has a problem, all this with almost 2 WEEKS without power, being displaced, and her dogs being displaced as well. It has not been good her in NJ since Sandy.

Yes, if poop is rock hard, this may well be the problem AND the reason you are smelling her anal glands. Normal to hard poop expresses the glands nicely, as nature intended. It may also be 'gas' you are smelling if it's between pooping (although as you note, stress can make them evacuate), and the way to tell the difference is that while both smell evil, anal gland product has a distinctly fishy smell.

Other than that, dogs with lower back, hip, pelvis or thigh muscle/ligament problems will yelp or scream on pooping due to the pressures of the 'squeezing out' movements in a squatting position.

Also dogs with IBD or colitis will scream, but that doesn't appear to be your problem!

Liver will often cause bowel looseness and is one of the more pleasant ways (for the dog) of relieving the problem. Try just a little cooked liver in her dinner each night until she stops squealing. It can however cause powerful-smelling gas, so might not be so pleasant for you! :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop