Dental Care Questions

Guest BobbiD

Any advise for routine dental care? I brush regularly, use an oral solution daily, and have tried many products, the latest being Perio-Support recommended by our vet.

Placque and tartar are building up, her gums bleed badly during brushing, and her breath is horrible.

It's been 1 year since a pro dental cleaning, I think she's due, our vet dissagrees.

Any suggestions on products that work well?

Guest BrindleBabes

I have been using Biotene drinking water additive daily, brushing with CET enzymatic toothpaste 4-5 X week and giving them a Greenie as a treat (2-3 X week). They are 8 and 9 years old and have each had one dental since their first one off the track. When they do get a little plaque, I flick it off with my fingernail. So far so good.

BUT, I do think some greys have worse teeth than others and your girl may (unfortunately) just be one of those.

I use an enzymatic toothpaste also and try to do it daily. If I skip a few days, her gums are bleeding again. I also use Petzlife spray 3-4 times a week but need to do it daily. I noticed Ruby's teeth are getting plaque and I just bought a tooth scraper to see if I can get some of it off. She doesn't have bad breath though and they are pretty white except for the canines. Turkey necks work really well but I have not been able to find them over the Summer. May go look for some today as she didn't have any plaque until I stopped giving her those. I fed them 3 times a week frozen as a meal. Good luck.

Karen

I don't understand your vet-if your hound has dragon breath with noticeable calculus then your due for a cleaning. Is there a veterinary dentist in your area? We have a greyt one here-Dr Linick @ Plainfield Animal Hospital, Plainfield, NJ but, I can imagine that would be a bit of a hike for you.

http://plainfieldanimalhospital.com/vet_linick.php

I brush regularly

How often is regularly? Do you brush at least once daily?

Placque and tartar are building up, her gums bleed badly during brushing, and her breath is horrible.

It's been 1 year since a pro dental cleaning, I think she's due, our vet dissagrees.

Why does your vet disagree? If she has significant plaque and tartar build up and gingivitis, she needs a professional cleaning before any home dental care is going to be effective.

I noticed Ruby's teeth are getting plaque and I just bought a tooth scraper to see if I can get some of it off.

I generally don't recommend trying to scale your dog's teeth at home. To effectively remove the plaque and tartar contributing to periodontal disease, you need to get under the gumline. This is not a comfortable process (as most people know from our own dental cleanings), and most dogs are not going to allow you to effectively get under the gumline where it matters. If you're just scraping visible build-up off the crowns of the teeth, you may be creating a misleading appearance of clean teeth while periodontal disease continues to progress below the gumline.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I have no intention of digging under her gums but lots of people scrape tartar off their dogs teeth. It seems like when there is already a coat of yuck on the teeth, it builds up even quicker. Her gums look healthy and don't bleed at all when I brush daily. Her vet says they look great but I want her canines looking a little cleaner.

Karen

Guest greysmitten

My girl benefits from an annual cleaning. Some dogs just build up quicker than others.

My goal was to brush daily, but that just didn't happen. I brush her when I can (ends up being once a week or so). I have used the water additive, but didn't notice a different, personally.