More Diarrhea To Discuss

I have just done enough reading on the internet to think my dog has kidney failure. So ya'll please talk me down.

Inu has always had a sensitive stomach. The latest round of diarrhea started a week ago. We started flagyl on Thursday. On Saturday we visited the vet and he noted blood in his stool and said sit tight sometimes it takes more than week for it to clear up. Historically, it has only take a day or maybe two before Inu is on the mend.

So I went to the web, dumb.

I would describe his poo as dark, glisteny and not liquid but no pudding either. Internet makes me think he's got internal bleeding around his small intenstine.

It stinks, the internet runs the gamut on why that may be.

He has psychogenic polydipsia, so we have controlled his water intake for about seven years. I can't tell if he's increased his drinking and urinating because I control it! :riphair

He is on gabapentin for neck pain.

He is on his second week of accupuncture for the same neck pain.

He is eating with gusto (chicken and rice) and goes on walks willingly and begs for treats. He doesn't appear to have lost weight yet.

He is current on heartworm treatment with Heartgard and Trifexis (not at the same time).

We have not taken blood samples to test my kidney theory.

Other ideas?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Do you give Heartgard at the first of the month? If so, that could contribute to current issues (since today's the 5th). There's another thread going about diarrhea triggered by heartworm meds.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm noticing that our IBD dog, Spencer, gets diarrhea for days after dosing with Trifexis. The vet said they hadn't noticed such a problem with Trifexis, but Trifexis' own information does note it as a side effect. It probably depends on the sensitivities of the individual dog, but that's a possibility.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Nothing to add about the other meds, but it's probably not the gabapentin. I've had three dogs on it (osteo, spinal issues, neuroma) and none of them have had any gastric upset. I am very careful never to give it on an empty stomach though.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Nube got bad diarrhea when we first started him on the Gabapentin, but it was under control in a few days.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The heartgard is due today. I was going to give it to him tonight.

If he is already not feeling well, I'd hold off.

George is currently having pudding poo and I'm sure it's form the Heartgard. Unless you live somewhere warm, the risk of giving the Heartgard later than you might is minimal.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Vet and I talked and decided if the highly digestible chicken and rice wasn't working to go the route of high fiber. So we're trying a prescription diet for a few days. If that doesn't work we're headed to the vet for serious diagnostics. :(

I really really hope this fiber does the trick.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)