Do Heartworm Meds Cause Gastrointestinal Problems?

Guest BrindleBabes

Guest BrindleBabes

Three times in the past three months both of my hounds have experienced gastrointestinal issues (one watery diarrhea, the other with blood in her stool and upset tummy). After the third episode I got out the calendar and found that in at least two instances, the problems occurred within two days of administering their heartworm med, Iverhart Max.

Our vet said: IVMax has pyrantel, ivermectin and praziquantel--it is hard to say if any of these have caused it or it is coincidence. Therefore, we could try HGPlus and see if any change; if it is the ivermectin causing it the only other thing to switch to is currently off the market.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Did switching to a new med resolve the problem? If so, what product did you switch to?

My guys have been taking Heartgard Plus and have had soft poop with every dose for nearly a year. I'm beyond pissed off about this. I actually plan their doses around when I'll be home to deal with the dogs' need to get outside in a hurry. And my senior boy most especially doesn't need this problem on top of his other problems. With my guys, they're in gastrointestinal trouble within 12 hours after they take the chewable, and they're usually better within 24 hours. Reportedly, it actually is the flavoring (pork and soy) in the med that causes the problem, but the company no longer makes an unflavored version.

If Interceptor doesn't become available soon, I'm going to talk to my vet about the dangers/risks of giving the plain liquid stuff: you have to be pretty precise about the dosing, so I haven't wanted the inconvenience and risks, but I swear Sam has had his last bout of Heartgard-induced liquid poop.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My whippet would develop projectile diarrhea on chewable heartworm preventatives. At the advice of my vet, I put him on liquid ivermectin and never had another problem.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I haven't had a problem, but what about going to topical heartworm meds like Advantage Multi or Advantix? (That's what we use now anyway -- my vet switched from recommending Sentinel to recommending these as he believes they are the most effective against the range of internal parasites.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Summit was on Sentinel last year with no issues. This year he's on Advantage Multi. If you have hounds with gastrointestinal issues after using a chewable product maybe a topical would be a better choice. You have Frontline in the States (must be nice! ;)).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Neither Frontline nor Advantix prevent heartworm, which is the most dangerous of the batch; Advantix and Frontline are topicals for fleas and ticks. I'd have to know a whole lot more about Advantage Multi. It's not one my vet has ever recommended.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Maybe Advantix is the wrong name, but there's one that does all including heartworm and ticks I think.

Advantage Multi is listed as safe for greyhounds on some site that lists that and is extremely effective. My vet is top-notch and would not recommend a product he does not think is first-rate in effectiveness and safety. We've used it for maybe two years now.

Eli takes a little blue ivermectin pill that was recommended to me by the rescue when I adopted him (I buy the pills through one of the volunteers) - all the volunteers use it on their own dogs. He never has a problem with it - his issues actually arise a few days before he takes his ivermectin. Vet calls it a bacterial infection. *shrugs*

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest cristaron

Does anyone know when, or if, Interceptor is going to become available again?

They've been telling us for over a year now that it would be a couple months.

I have a boy that only does well on that - diarrhea wise and seizure wise.

Needless to say, this is VERY frustrating. Everything else I've tried causes problems.

My vet said the latest letter they got from Novartis promised Interceptor would be available in November.

I may talk to my vet about getting the liquid form and dosing my two myself. And, since the weather has cooled down here, the risks to my 12+year old boy from heartworm are much lower than the risks of continuing diarrhea. (Which doesn't solve the problem for my younger girl, but we're good until the first of December, anyway.)

Thanks for all your input. I will definitely ask my vet about Advantage Multi.

Advantage Multi doesn't protect against ticks. It's also not safe to use if you have cats in your household, as it can be very toxic to them.

The most comprehensive flea, tick, heartworm prevention recommended to me by three different vets is Heartguard and Frontline Plus.

A

Advantage Multi doesn't protect against ticks. It's also not safe to use if you have cats in your household, as it can be very toxic to them.

The most comprehensive flea, tick, heartworm prevention recommended to me by three different vets is Heartguard and Frontline Plus.

You right that it doesn't do ticks, but you're wrong about it being toxic to cats. Advantage Multi for dogs and Advantage Multi for cats have the exact same chemicals (imidacloprid and moxidectin) just at different concentrations and amount. I use it (among other things) specifically as a cat-safe topical for my dog (I have three cats, who are also on the cat version). You must be confusing it with something else (Advantix?).

Edited by PrairieProf

A

You right that it doesn't do ticks, but you're wrong about it being toxic to cats. Advantage Multi for dogs and Advantage Multi for cats have the exact same chemicals (imidacloprid and moxidectin) just at different concentrations and amount. I use it (among other things) specifically as a cat-safe topical for my dog (I have three cats, who are also on the cat version). You must be confusing it with something else (Advantix?).

You are right! I was confusing it with K9 Advantix. Advantix has permethrin, which is toxic to cats.

Janney has been having diarrhea issues since we had to switch to Heart Guard. I found that it helps some if I give it about 6 hours after eating. Needless to say, she now gets it on the first Sunday of the month instead of the first day of the month. I can't wait until Interceptor is available again. When I looked up side effects to Hear Guard on line, it said that diarrhea was a very rare occurence. Obviously not.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon