2 Year-Old Male - Do You See Hip/spine Issue?

Guest Kaila

I'm not denying what anyone is saying. I'm just saying that I need to see the dog with my own eyes before I give up on him or take on an expensive medical process.

Glad to know it might not be a dealbreaker, Dennis. I'll keep what everyone said in mind and update this weekend!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello friends!

Kaila, I didn't notice anything in his races that would alarm me, other than the fact that when he fell behind and could not sight the lure, he just followed the pack. This is not highly unusual track behavior. In the second race, he broke alertly and rushed up in close quarters with the wave, which would tend to suggest that his hindquarters were not bothering him to any great degree at that point.,

If I'm guessing correctly, and at some point the dog had a bout with metabolic acidosis, it's absolutely not a deal breaker. Some good feed, lots of liquids and massages, and proper exercise should be all he needs. And if he requires some chiropractic adjustment, that's not too hard to find nowadays.

Oh my WORD!! I never thought in a million days this would ever happen!! Dennis, welcome back!!

I got to spend time with the hounds this past weekend. I had a blast! I saw Stormy's gait and felt put off by the things everyone cautioned me about, even though he gets around fine and is not at his ideal weight yet. (I did the skin stretch test that Dennis recommended and his skin was elastic but snapped back quickly.) But the trainer is thinking about washing him out (i.e. placing him as a pet only) because during his recent training he's been spooking (not a desirable service dog trait). So she partnered me instead with a very calm, confident female. Meet Zolie ("Bella Zolester")! :)

http://www.flickr.co...ngs/8176894405/

http://www.flickr.co...ngs/8176805119/

http://www.flickr.co...ngs/8176849857/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riHpE3djujg&list=PLjX5X3PRv_8Ux4_xjeYJobb824QAL-MuA&index=4&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnCGZrtG-Gg&list=PLjX5X3PRv_8Ux4_xjeYJobb824QAL-MuA&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Edited by Kaila

Zolie is so cute, congratulations! I may be a bit partial to white and brindle girls. ;) Her all-over big spots (as opposed to just flecks of ticking) are quite unusual! Love her butt view in particular! :D

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Zolie is so cute, congratulations! I may be a bit partial to white and brindle girls. ;) Her all-over big spots (as opposed to just flecks of ticking) are quite unusual! Love her butt view in particular! :D

I think she has some sunburn on her thighs because she just loves to lay on the patio and sunbathe! lol! :lol:

More videos:

Edited by Kaila

She certainly is a robust, confident-looking girl! Very illustrious bloodlines too. :) Does this mean she's definitely going to become your dog? At what point does she come home to you?

It will be a few months. She's still in training, so it can be anywhere from 4-7 months depending on how quickly she picks things up--which so far is fast, but I'm not getting my hopes up! ;) But as of right now, she is slated to become my dog. I was really uncertain on Saturday. At that point we had decided that Storm was a bad match for me and the trainer really wanted me to consider Zolie, but Zolie wasn't really warming up to me. She worked with me and was pleasant to work with, but it was ALL business. She wasn't affectionate or lovey at all. But then Sunday morning, she ran right up to me and nuzzled me, snuggled with me on the floor (and pawed at me for attention when another dog came up to be pet), ran around in the yard with me.. ;) So I felt MUCH better that we would be able to bond. I was so sure I wanted a male, but she's pretty darn cool.

Zolie is a good-looking girl! She'll warm up to you just fine once you become the keeper of the cookies. ;)

That's what I think too. She would do aaaannnything for food, but luckily she's not so crazy about it that she'd tear open the trash can or your cupboard trying to get to it. ;)

I just want to thank everyone who gave me advice on this thread. It may not have been advice that I wanted to hear, but I'm SO glad that I came here before committing to a specific dog or bringing one home. I now feel so much more comfortable that I'm picking the right dog for me, even if I didn't think that I'd initially pick a female. Thank you GT!!

I wonder if the hesitation to lie down is because of the hard surface. I know mine seem to put more thought, hesitation, into it when they have to lie down on a hard surface like that.

This was my initial reaction to that particular video as well.

I'm obv not a vet, but as someone with a dog with LS I don't see that. You can easily check though by doing Dr. Stack's pressure test, and also checking for nails dragging and feet that don't unbuckle.

Having said all of that, his hind end does look off and his gait stiff. He also seems to weight bear a bit more on the right when standing and hold his left leg out to the side a bit. Makes me wonder about a groin pull. Those can be difficult to diagnose, especially with a get who isn't truly gh savvy and very tough to heal. If you add the amount of exercise he's getting to that injury, you could definitely see overcompensation issues with the back and hind end.

Apply pressure with your thumbs/fingers when you meet him. First make your way down the muscles alongside his spine, then reach under his hip "pockets" and press up. See if you notice spasming anywhere as you do it. That would be an indication that at the very least he's got muscle tightness or injury.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."