Cds (Doggie's Alzheimer's)

Guest RodeoSunshine

Guest RodeoSunshine

My Sunshine is 15 years old and has CDS. She wonders around, stares at walls, and numerous other symptoms. She doesn't recognize her name anymore. The worst of it is she has forgotton her house training. She is pooping in the house right in front of us, and she has no idea what she is doing. It is happening very frequently I can take her out for quite awhile, she doesn't go. But may go 5 minutes after I get her in. If she wakes up during the night, I must take her right away or she has an accident. She has arthritis in her back hips and cannot stand for very long. I am beside myself. When do I know it is time to send her off to be with her brother, Trent who I had to put to sleep due to cancer? My tears just flow thinking about.

it's a really hard decision to make, but she's not really there anymore. i went thru doggie dimentia w/ wonderful willie wonka. at the end he was a very very freightened dog who was no longer comfortable in his own skin. it stinks outliving our faithful companions, it stinks even more when they are in discomfort and it stinks having to make difficult decisions. very very few dogs (and people) can pass gracefully in their own time. fortunately dogs do not have to suffer as much as people. :grouphug

I am really sorry to hear this. We recently went through the same thing with one of our seniors. We try and live with "better one day too soon than one day late". What helped us make the decision is we asked our dog sitter to tell us what she saw through her eyes when she would come each day and let all the pups out. She "saw" what we were not seeing because we were so close to the situation. It is such a personal decision to make but go with your heart and what your gut tells you.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest RodeoSunshine

. Sunshine does get startled all the time. If you walk up beside her and pet her, she jumps. It is so sad and I don't want her to suffer. You are so right, she is not there anymore. Her eyes are so sad. I have much to think about and I know what I should do, but doing it is another story. I can't be selfish and do what is right!

. Sunshine does get startled all the time. If you walk up beside her and pet her, she jumps. It is so sad and I don't want her to suffer. You are so right, she is not there anymore. Her eyes are so sad. I have much to think about and I know what I should do, but doing it is another story. I can't be selfish and do what is right!

:grouphug I know it's a hard decision to make.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest 2dogs4cats

It's a hard decision to make but if you do want to try something, try liquid Vitamin E. Your vet can tell you what dose is safe. It was recommended by my vet and it did help. Vitamin E stimulates nerve endings and brain activity. I remember it was a pretty high dose. Hugs.

:grouphug That is a decision only you can make (hopefuly with your vets help and advice).

My sisters dog Stevie Ray was deaf, blind, 16, walked into walls, stood in corners and had lost all housebreaking skills for the last two years of his life. Someone would follow him around with a towel toward the end. He had absolutely no clue where he was 100% of the time. We had several conversations about it but she refused to help him on his way and I'm not sure that was the kindest thing.

Again, only you can make the call but as Brandimom said, asking others like petsitters, relatives and the vet can maybe help you get a clearer picture.

:grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest RodeoSunshine

I really appreciate all of you. I have a lot to think about and trust the decision I make is the right one. i just know she is not going to get better and she is not living the life she would like> but I have to do what is best. thank you again. I think I will ask my relatives what they see. The ones who see her every once awhile have noticed a big change. I just need to pray for the will to do what is right for her.

I put my dachshund on ProNeurozone. Vet recommended it to start as it doesn't affect the major organs. It was like a miracle drug for his dementia. Check it out online. It's not expensive, either. Took about a week or so until I saw improvement, but most of the dementia signs disappeared. He lived to be 16 years, 8.5 months. Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of his death, as his body just eventually gave out.

That is a decision only you can make, but right at this minute, my father, who has Alzheimer's, is laying in a bed in a nursing home, basically a,vegetable, and if we could have him put to sleep, the entire family agrees we would do it in a heartbeat. My father is long gone. He has no joy, no pleasure. He is incontinent, mostly blind, mostly deaf, can barely swallow, but the law does not allow us to send him peacefully on his way. So he lays there...

Ask yourself if you are keeping your dog alive for her, or for you? Would she choose her current daily routine? Does she have any joy left?

Best wishes for you in this difficult time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am so very sorry you are going through this. When my whippet began sundowning and having cognitive dysfunction, I put him on Cholodin at the advice of a vet which seemed to help ease his symptoms and made other adjustments for him, such as timers keeping lights on so it never got dusky or dark. But, he was not as far along in the progression as your sweet baby. I have since lost him and I understand your pain. I can only offer sympathy and understanding as you decide what is best for her. Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

It is a very very hard decision to make. We went through something similar with out Dalmatian at 14.5 yrs and it is so hard of a decision to make. She was my special girl and I made the decision while DW wasn't so sure. My mind made the decision my heart didn't want.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your sorrow.I will tell you of my experience with an old lab I had.He was not acutly ill, but could no longer stand for any length of time without his backend sliding out from under him and he too had very sad eyes.When I no longer saw joy in his eyes anymore I felt it was the right time to let him go.I think that because you are asking us what we think, there is a part of you that feels that it is the time to let go but are struggling with the decision.You know your dog better than anyone,and if you feel that your Sunshine no longer feels that sunshine in her heart,it is O.K. to help her find that sun again. It's just so sad that they can't be with us forever.

It's a very hard decision to make. Rainey had something like CDS (along with seizures) and at the end, she was no longer the Rainey we knew. It was SO hard to let her go but the sense of relief (for us and for her) was huge and we felt that we did the right thing. She wasn't happy either anymore and we know she is much happier at the bridge.

sending hugs :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway