Not Eating The Way He Used To

About a month ago I switched Walter to Taste of the Wild because I thought he had a grain allergy. Previously to this switch, he would eat as soon as the food was set down and eat ALL of his food before drinking water and laying down. Since he was on TotW, he ate about half of his food, drinks and then lays down only to finish his meal later. I assume he did not like TofW because he LOVES grains (bread especially) and perhaps this was how he was adjusting to eating a less appetizing food.

I put him back on Acana (which he LOVES) and he's still displaying the same behavior - eats about half, drinks water, walks away. I've also noticed the past few days that he cries when he's done. I'm starting to suspect something else is going on. Originally I would leave the left over food in his dish so that he could eat it when he was ready - now I'm picking up his bowl after ten minutes because I do not want him to free feed.

I should also mention the last week here was really crazy with Sandy, not having heat, sleeping over someone else's house and general low air pressure stuff which he did not seem to be very pleased about.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

If the change in eating habits happened simultaneously with the switch to TOTW then I understand why you thought it was the food. Now though it sounds like that was either a coincidence or the food switch touched off a chronic problem. Sounds like time for the vet.

Wait. When did you switch him back to Acana? How long before Sandy?

Wait. When did you switch him back to Acana? How long before Sandy?

basically in the middle of it, this past week.

He cries when he's done? That sounds like pain and would worry me. I would go to the vet for a check and bloodwork including a test for pancreatitis.

He doesn't cry when he eats dinner, only breakfast.

7218108076_e406044464_t.jpg 7004700518_27fa752995_t.jpg Walter (Windy Walker) and Ernie (PG Ernest) @WalterWallerson and IG: WalterandErnie 7150803233_d0700ccbdc_t.jpg 7004711314_ceba54665a_t.jpg

How is he doing with food that isn't kibble? Cookies, etc? Any mouth pain? Gas? Runny poo (more than usual) ? The crying worries me, but leaving some food in his bowl doesn't (mine are free fed, and do fine with it). I sure hope he's ok!

He eats cookies no problem, no obvious mouth pain - I've been doing really good about brushing his teeth, too. Less gas than normal and normal poo situation.