Need Senior Diet Advice - Kibble, No Raw, No Home Cooked

My almost 14.5 year old whippet Rickie has been on Wellness Core Reduced Fat for some time - because he has had cancer I wanted grain free, and because as he aged he was gaining weight, I wanted reduced fat. Plus, this kibble has relatively low Phosphorus which is also a big plus.

Problem is, he poops his body weight daily. OK, I am exaggerating, but he poops a lot (2 - 4 times per walk) and first thing in the morning, is likely to do it in the bedroom (a couple of times in bed, ick).

There is way too much output.

So I am looking for a kibble that is lower residue. It doesn't need to be grain-free as I think the high protein content may be a factor at this point.

I looked at the Acana senior food today and it has 33% protein.

I've picked up a small bag of the Wellness Senior food but it has a lot of grain - guess I was looking for something more in the middle.

If you have found a kibble that works well for your senior hound please share! Thank you!

Sorry - wrong forum - have asked the mods to move to diet and nutrition.

Edited by Rickiesmom

FWIW, I have half my crew on Techni-Cal Lamb & Rice. Poops are good, although the two oldest hounds (Betsy and Jessie, both turning 14 this month) sometimes go sooner than they planned--on the sidewalk instead of the grass. The poodles do not have the same issue. There is also a Senior Formula with lower protein and fat but higher fibre; I haven't tried it.

[Aside to non-Canadians: I think Techni-Cal is only available in Canada.]

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Trentsmom

We feed the Costco weight management- switched to it when my vet said my senior needed more fiber and less protien. Tootsie roll poops and the ingredienst are good and a low price, like $26 for 40 lbs.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/orijen-dog-food-adult/

Orijen got a good review from dog food advisor. May be too high in protein though.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

LOL Diane.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I bought a small bag of Acana Senior (same makers as Orijen) and I like their ingredients but the protein is very high for seniors - 33% and while poop volume is down, it is producing eye-watering gas.

I asked the store where I shop to bring in a small bag of Wellness Senior - I don't like the ingredients as well, but the protein is around 20%

When I go pick up the Wellness I'll bring a list of some of the other suggestions to see what they have / can get, and depending, may look elsewhere. (This store carries a lot of natural / healthy brands.)

Thank you everyone, this is very helpful!

Guest WhiteWave

I had good results on NOW Large breed senior. It is only 25% protein though, 11 % fat and 328kcal/cup. Casper was able to eat it and loose weight w/o feeling like he wasn't getting enough food. It is really big pieces though, but soften pretty easy. My old Jack Russel mix w/ very few teeth was able to eat it too if I added some water a few minutes before feeding.

http://www.petcurean.com/for-dogs/now-fresh/grain-free-large-breed-senior