Incontinent - Poor Passion

Wonder

Passion has peed in bed with me 3 times in the last few months. Only when in bed laying next to me, thanks :lol

I have checked her crate and nothing. She's not peed on dog beds either.

I called my vet a few weeks ago to talk about it with him. He wants to rule out UTI and then put her on DES.

She's already on thyroid and phenobarb for her seizures so I really don't want to add anything and risk messing up anything.

I know it won't do anything to her seizures but I still don't want to take any chances.

This morning she peed in bed, looked at me and whined. So I felt under and sure enough, it was wet.

She didn't move and kept laying in it until I made her get up so I could change the sheets.

I don't care if she pees, it's easy enough to change the sheets but why does she lay in it????

Cute pic I snapped last night of her and Lena on the couch

177081_10151068587272583_994522528_o.jpg

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Aw, poor Passion. Hope you find something that works for her with her existing regimen.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

I don't know the differences between Proin and DES, drug-interaction-wise, but it might be another option. Poor little Passion. I didn't know she was having seizures too. :(

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

She may be sleeping so soundly all snuggled up to you and doesn't wake up. If she's not peeing at any other time that would be my thought.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She may be sleeping so soundly all snuggled up to you and doesn't wake up. If she's not peeing at any other time that would be my thought.

One time she wasn't sleeping or I'd think you were correct.

Passion has always been a little quirky :lol

I don't know the differences between Proin and DES, drug-interaction-wise, but it might be another option. Poor little Passion. I didn't know she was having seizures too. :(

Vet wants to start her on DES.

I just hate to do anything if she's seizure free now. Again I worry and probably don't need to.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest cristaron

I'd go with the DES Kari.

Ron was started on proin a couple years back. First night he had 3 seizures. I didn't think anything

of it.

Second night, three more seizures. Then I knew - the proin was interfering with his seizure meds.

One time she wasn't sleeping or I'd think you were correct.

Passion has always been a little quirky :lol

Vet wants to start her on DES.

I just hate to do anything if she's seizure free now. Again I worry and probably don't need to.

Rainey was on DES for 5.5 years with no issues. Now, I can't say with 100% certainty that it caused (or didn't) her seizures, but I highly doubt it. I know how you feel, at one time Rainey was on: DES, Pheno, Zonisamide, Keppra, thyroid meds, Doxycillin, Pentoxifylline (vascular meds) and a 1/4 baby aspirin and to have to give her so many made me crazy, but it was what it was. If she DOES have another seizure you can always stop the DES. We only gave her 1 pill a week once she was under control (after like a month maybe).

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest cristaron

After Ron had those seizures I stopped the proin right away. Didn't want to try any more

drugs for fear that they'd do the same thing so I ordered the Vetri-Science Bladder Strength

and started him on that. It took about a month to build up in his system, but it worked.

Had him on it for about a year and decided to stop it and see what would happen?

No leaking at all. That was a year ago and he's still doing good.

It worked for us.

I'd go with the DES Kari.

Ron was started on proin a couple years back. First night he had 3 seizures. I didn't think anything

of it.

Second night, three more seizures. Then I knew - the proin was interfering with his seizure meds.

China was on proin and had a stroke.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I had a dog on Proin and had either a stroke or seizure. And it didn't really help that much. She didn't seem to realize where the wet was coming from either. We pulled the carpet and put tile down and kept plenty of towels and a swiffer around. Not to laugh, but the expression on her face when she'd wake up from a nap and find herself in a wet spot - she'd just look at me like I did something mean to her by putting water under her.

My friend has a dog that only leaks urine if it is in a very deep sleep,such as after a very strenuous exercise/activity day.Maybe passion is in a deeper, more restful sleep when she is sleeping next to you and her bladder and urethral muscles relax more than when napping.Maybe just restricting her water for a few hours before bed may help? I'm with you, I would only use medication if nothing else helps or if it just becomes too much.

I would lay a large washable incontient pad for you both to sleep on. I have done that and it wasn't for the dog. I agree with you about not adding any meds. If she is doing find, do not want to rock the boat.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Sutra peed in his sleep a few times...it was like he was in such a deep sleep he didn't wake up. I ended up buying a waterproof mattress pad for my bed so he could still sleep with me in bed.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My friend has a dog that only leaks urine if it is in a very deep sleep,such as after a very strenuous exercise/activity day.Maybe passion is in a deeper, more restful sleep when she is sleeping next to you and her bladder and urethral muscles relax more than when napping.Maybe just restricting her water for a few hours before bed may help? I'm with you, I would only use medication if nothing else helps or if it just becomes too much.

She wasn't sleeping the first couple of times though.

I did put a plastic mattress pad on the bed but holy mole, I sweat now. I need to put another regular mattress pad over the plastic.

I got one of those pads from the nursing home and put it on the couch for her.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I've never had anyone tell me that their dog leaked urine while awake, only when they were sleeping.I have several friends and co-workers whose females have this issue. Some treat, others don't depending on the severity of leakage.Godd-Luck, I hope it remains an occasional problem.

Poor you and Passion....sorry she is having that problem.... :bighug

Rascal lost control of his bladder and was on Proin for years. It worked well for him for a long time.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021