Slick Is Having His Toe Amputated Today

We finally pulled the trigger and made the appointment. Since June 1st we have been dealing with a cut that just would not heal. After 5 months of leash walking, the poor boy has lost so much muscle tone from not running and playing. We just feel that it is not fair to him to continue trying to save the toe. After reading the devastating post about Rogan and his amputations I took the extra precaution and painted his toe nail with a pretty purple sparkle nail polish. So please say a quick prayer that all goes well today and my boy heals this time.

Everyday-4.jpg

:hope for an uneventful surgery and quick recovery!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good luck to Slick; please keep us posted! My best advice is to *really* restrict activity to a bare minimum the first week or so, like crate rest. My girl got bad abrasions from the wrap on her foot which led to other complications. (The foot changes shape with the amputation and the wrap rubs in places it wouldn't normally.)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I had a message from the vet by the time I got to work this morning. She said that she had looked at his foot and it didn't look that bad, maybe we just needed to give it more time. I thought oh no, I've taken this long to talk myself into the amputation and now the vet is saying we need more time???? We talked and she agreed with his history that the amp was the correct action to take. Of course, after we hung up I called my DH to reassure me that we were doing the right thing. We picked him up tonight and the vet said that once she got in there she could see that the inside of his toe was shredded. It was being held on by one lone tendon. That made us feel so good about making the call to amputate. He is doing real good, ate a good dinner and is mostly sleeping, not bothering his foot at all. The vet gave him a very timely wrap......

100_2311E.jpg

100_2312E.jpg

Everyday-4.jpg

He looks great! Sounds like everything is going well!

Which toe did you have removed - an outside or an inside?

One of ours broke a toe last November and now has arthritis in it and, like you until recently, we've gone back and forth on the amp discussion. We're still holding out as the toes doesn't seem to be as bad as what Slick has been going through.

All the best for a speedy recovery.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I'm glad to hear that he's home. I hope he heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Scouts_mom

My Bree says to tell Slick that he will be able to run and play just fine without that silly toe. Bree broke a toe racing and it didn't heal correctly, so when she came to my adoption group it was amputated. I don't think she notices it is gone it certainly has not slowed her down,

Guest grandmagrey

My grandog Teddi is facing a possible toe amp for a tumor on his left rear leg. Appreciating this thread tonight. Eases the worry of the aftercare. Thank you and best wishes to your beautiful boy! I also live rhe way you have the bowls attached to the wall. May have copy that. I hate cleaning out the plastic riser bowls.

Edited by grandmagrey

Slick slept well last night, a lot better than me. It was a rainy day here so we all napped the day away. Unfortunately, the big D that we were battling last weekend is back. Going outside seems to wear him out and he pants for a while after coming in. He was very excited at dinner and bounced around like normal. All in all, he seems to be doing really well. We go back to the vet on Monday for a check and then again on Friday to remove the stitches.

Everyday-4.jpg

Guest BaltimoreHounds

My bridge hound Aersomith lived with three toes for the last 4 years of his life. He made a complete recovery and was a happy go lucky boy.

His initial injury came from romping around in the back year, and tearing the toe nail.....and the thing wouldn't heal, so in the end the toe had to come off.

I got a look at his toe last night at the vets, from what I could see it looks really good. The vet checked for any signs of infection and said all looked as it should. He only squealed once as she was cleaning the area before rewrapping it. He still doesn't want to put any weight on it, but he normally won't walk on the foot when it's wrapped. We go back again on Friday to remove the stitches.

Everyday-4.jpg