Alternative To Frontline Plus ?

Guest JoyceJ

My vet has discontinued Frontline Plus and is promoting the newer flea preventatives. I've used Frontline since adopting our first greyhound in 1999. Autumn is 13 and Jack is 11.5, so I'm not going to experiment with anything new as long as I can still find Frontline Plus. I use TriHeart for HW prevention. I prefer two separate products so as not to over-expose them to chemicals.

From the comparison I just did, it appears K9 Advantix II has the added benefits of repelling fleas, repelling ticks and repelling mosquitos.. It's also a little more expensive than Frontline.

Has anyone switched a senior grey to K9 Advantix II in recent months?? If so what was your experience??

Many thanks!!

I switched a 6-year-old grey to Advantix, along with Heartguard. I had no difficulty (& no beasties) and, in fact, OSU uses Advantix themselves. Should you switch, here's a tip: Unlike other topicals like Advantage, Advantix is "greasier". It really helps to apply it all along the back, in many spots. I average at least 10 spot when I do it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

You can get Frontline Plus on Amazon.com with no prescription--exact same stuff you used to get from your vet.

That's where I get mine.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SealDogMermaid

Our 6 y/o female Seal got really itchy when we tried Advantix with her. It instructs you to administer it in little droplets straight down the length of their spine, so for about three days she was itching her back by wiggling upside down on the carpet and she would rub up against anything sturdy (including us!) like a cat! Not saying that this would happen to all greys of course, but it was unsettling that she was that uncomfortable. I didnt notice a rash or anything however and she didnt show any other signs of an allergic reaction other than the itchiness, but it was enough for me to switch back to the frontline for now. Interested to see what other brands folks suggest :-)

Guest team_tonio

Switched to Advantix just this year and its great, frontline wasn't working for us. Worst thing about it is the greasy strip down my boys back for 2-3 days after application. But to me so worth it for the protection from creepy critters!

Guest LittleGreys

I use Vectra, I have seen posts on here that some people won't use it on Greyhounds, but my vet and I both use it on our Greyhounds with no issues.

I'm curious for those using Advantix did you actually have a tick problem or just wanting to avoid one? The reason I ask is because we are now having a tick problem here so I decided to treat with Advantix and it is neither repelling the ticks nor killing them after they bite. Every day I'm pulling ticks off of them and it is beyond disgusting.

Edited to add that this is Advantix II that I am using and it is not working here.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest team_tonio

I'm curious for those using Advantix did you actually have a tick problem or just wanting to avoid one?

We have ticks galore here. Have not found any on my boy since switching from frontline... sorry it doesn't seem to be working for you :(