Toenail Completely Torn Off

Yesterday we were taking the dogs to the sitter for my husbands surgery and somehow Daisy tore one of her front toenails. Wow, the blood!!!! We got her to a really greyhound savvy vet in Oswego, IL and he had to put her under with propofol and cauterize it. Said he never saw one bleed that bad. I told him she is on 20mg aspirin therapy post stroke. He thinks that was why she bled so much. Now she's at the sitter all bandaged and sore. Do they usually heal quickly? Any one with experience with this??? We are on our way to Mayo Clinic for Dons surgery and I'm so sad.....

Guest mb_in_md

We have had dogs do that before, and they heal relatively quickly. It takes a while for the new nail to grow in, though.

Hopefully, the aspirin therapy won't slow down the healing process too much.

Good luck with your husband's surgery, too!

I doubt it was the aspirin-most likely it was one of those things--they do bleed like crazy. My girl had a splenectomy @ Ohio State and they never stopped her aspirin therapy AND she had a very low red blood count @ the time. She healed beautifully in a timely matter.

Hope your baby feels better soon!

Hope your husband will be ok-hugs!

Edited by tbhounds

both my dogs have gotten what seemed, in terms of size and depth, to be fairly minor cuts on their knuckles. in one case it bled a fair amount, and in the other it was just ridiculous. i came home and it looked like someone had gutted a deer in my living room, followed by a dog running around in the blood. it was a gory scene to be sure, all from a cut that was about 2 mm long, at most. i think these guys just tend to bleed a ton.

Guest sireltonsmom

Sir Elton pulled a nail out in the carpet. They didn't put him out or stitch him but did put him on antibiotics for a week or two. It healed well and he has a new nail that's fine, normal. Hope your baby heals fast too and hope your husband is going to be fine as well. Good thoughts to you all.

Guest Barbara

Cuchulainn tore his dew claw off today. It was torn about 3/4 of the way off at the base of the nail, and the vet just plucked the whole nail off before cleaning and bandaging. Will this nail actually grow back?

Edited by Barbara

Yes, in most cases, the nail will grow back.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Cuchulainn tore his dew claw off today. It was torn about 3/4 of the way off at the base of the nail, and the vet just plucked the whole nail off before cleaning and bandaging. Will this nail actually grow back?

The Labradoodle that I walk pulled one of his dew claws off 6 weeks ago....it has already grown back like nothing happened. (and boy did that bleed....he is almost white and it did look pretty awful...I think the other dog walkers thought he had lost half of his leg!)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT