Can Dogs Get Cwd From Chewing Antlers?

Antlers have been a wonderful chew that my dogs so enjoy but I read in the paper yesterday :coffee that IN is asking hunters to kill specially tagged deer that might have escaped into the population with CWD. Does anybody know if our dogs can contract CWD from chewing antlers? :dunno I'm scared to let them have anymore until I find out.

The epidemiological study further concludes that, "[a]s a precaution, hunters should avoid eating deer and elk tissues known to harbor the CWD agent (e.g., brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes) from areas where CWD has been identified.

Even so, I don't know if I would take a chance. This was for human consumption and I'm assuming humans don't eat the antlers, so maybe they just didn't warn against antlers for that reason.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

The epidemiological study further concludes that, "[a]s a precaution, hunters should avoid eating deer and elk tissues known to harbor the CWD agent (e.g., brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes) from areas where CWD has been identified.

Even so, I don't know if I would take a chance. This was for human consumption and I'm assuming humans don't eat the antlers, so maybe they just didn't warn against antlers for that reason.

Yeah its scarey because I think it is 100% fatal. Thanks.

Per this article, CWD prions are present in antler velvet. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2687044/

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yeah, that was a thick one :lol . If you read the first sentence or two of each paragraph, you can get the drift tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just posted a thread in the food forum on fresh antlers http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/291668-fresh-antlers/

What is CWD?

Now I am hesitant to give them the antlers.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

If your deer come from an area where there is CWD (chronic wasting disease), I wouldn't give them.

All of the information I find says that there have been no known cases of CWD in dogs (or wolves who eat deer in areas with CWD). It appears to be unknown if the disease is even transmittable to dogs.

The antlers that I see for sale are from farm raised animals. Farm raised animals do not have CWD.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).