Advice Ahead Of Vet Visit Tomorrow

Guest AndyUK

Hi guys

Long term lurker here, big fan of the 'cute and funny' board :)

I was wondering if I can get some input/opinions from you. I will say though that I have a vet appointment tomorrow evening so obviously will see what they say.

My older grey, Misty, is 11.5 years old.She's previously been in good health, and whilst she's 'slowed down' a bit (e.g. doesn't want to run around zoomying) loves her long walks and so on.

Anyway, in the last two days (and definetely seems to have co-incided with the weather here in the UK going very cold), she's changed considerably. Basically it's like the strength in her legs seems to have been sapped.

She's eating fine, no vomiting, bowel movements etc are fine.

However - out of nowhere she can't climb/get down stairs (getting down seems the main issue) - up until Friday she was running up and down with no problems.

Laying down seems awkward for her and takes her a while.

Jumping up onto bed (she sleeps with me and my other grey) - very reluctant. Took her for walk yesterday she was very slow and dragging all way around.

Other than that doesn't seem very happy at all (other grey is picking up on it too).

Also struggling wiht things like getting out the door this morning (has a small step down into garden).

That said she doesn't seem to be in any pain as such - hasn't been any yelping/crying.

Any ideas what it might be - arthiritis or something?

Really worried about my girl :(

thanks

Andy

It does sound as if it may be arthritis, if it is all-over and coincides with colder weather. Or she may just have pulled a muscle or something? But greyhounds can be very stoical about longterm pain, so this may be something that has been building for a while without her letting you know. Glad you've got a vet visit booked, maybe you can bring that forward? Keep her nice and warm meanwhile and don't make her do more than she wants to. If it is arthritis, there will be lots of things that can help - anti-inflammatories, joint supplements, physio- and hydrotherapy have all helped my 11 year old boy greatly.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

thanks :) I've got her jumper on anyway as she normally gets chilly in winter and put a blanker over her at night.

Can't bring vet appointment forward sadly. Do you think it' best not to walk her tonight at all?

Your hound is gorgeous by the way :)

Andy

Hopefully nothing too serious. I suppose it could be arthritis/cold or maybe a pinched nerve.

L.S. popped into mind as a possibility, but such a sudden onset without any previous trouble would seem odd, even for early stages of this diagnosis. http://www.greytheal...umbosacral.html

Hopefully others will have different suggestions. Please let us know what you learn after your veterinary appointment. Good luck.

Edited to add: I would not ask her to take a walk again before your veterinary appointment. I agree that Greyhounds are very stoic and she could be quietly feeling pain.

Edited by 3greytjoys

thanks :) I've got her jumper on anyway as she normally gets chilly in winter and put a blanker over her at night.

Can't bring vet appointment forward sadly. Do you think it' best not to walk her tonight at all?

Your hound is gorgeous by the way :)

Andy

Thanks, yes Doc is a handsome boy and I think he knows it! Re the walk tonight I'd be guided by her - if she wants to go, take her but keep it short and on the level. (From past experience Doc gets most unhappy on 'bed rest', sometimes constipated too, but just 5 mins round the block is enough to cheer him up and keep things moving.)

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

thanks, much appreciated. I'm hoping it is something treatable..like I say up til now she's been fine and it was literally Saturday that this seemed to start.

I will try and get her out for a short walk tonight then keep her nice and cosy and lots of cuddles.

She's done well for her age and I guess I knew she is getting on a bit .. the thought of it being anything serious/the worst case just breaks me up.

Hi... It's always worrying when one of our hounds starts showing problems like that. I can tell you the sudden onset of the cold weather did the same to me and brought general low grade arthritis and rheumatism back onto the agenda. There are also the rapidly decreasing levels of light, made worse by the clock going back. So for me it's back onto fish oil and Vitamin B complex to restore energy levels.

My last dog, Angel, had an injured shoulder and it always got worse at this time of year. She was on Metacam long term (more about that later.) What used to help her (apart from the loose stools it caused) were those Pedigree joint care chew sticks that you can get in the supermarket. They have Glucosamine and Chondroitin in them. I'd see a difference in Angel within about 3 days.

So, as you are going to the vet for the first time about these problems and because your dog is a certain age ypu need to be able to listen to what the vet says and have a few questions lined up.

Quite possibly the vet will examine the dog and flex her joints within normal movement ranges, they will push and prod all over the place. But first get them to actually watch the dog walking. You could maybe make a little video on your cellphone?

Often the vets will simply prescribe Metacam or Meloxicam. Now these are powerful NSAIDs which can come with some important side effects. Stomach bleeds and kidney trouble. So before starting an older dog on either of those, have a blood test done to rule out exisiting kidney and liver issues. (Kidneys can't be repaired so it is not advisiable to give something that will speed up their deterioration unless, of course, it is a quality of life balance.) As the initial dose of Metacam is a big one, ask the vet to prescribe Antepsin (Surcalfate) as well for the first week or so to prevent stomach inflammation.

I hope her condition is treatable one and that she can have her pain controlled. You need to keep their routines going too, so even if they aren't going to walk very far, take them in the car to their usual places. Help them, where reasonable, on and off the bed etc. It was just awful when Angel could no longer get on the bed so you need to show them they're just as much loved as ever.

thankyou so much John - really helpful reply, I appreciate it. Definetely a good idea about filming her.

I'll pick up some joint chew sticks tonight. She's eating fine and still loving her treats :)

It's nice to be able to talk about these things, I find with 'non-dog' people they don't get how upsetting it can be.

Thanks

Andy

Add my vote for arthritis as first suspect. Pain alone can contribute to the symptoms you describe. While it could be something more worrisome involving the spine or nervous system, even sof of those are actually offshoots of arthritis. I had a senior, male Grey with spinal arthritis. It caused problems similar to what you describe. At first a simply joint supplement with good amounts of MSM & tummy friendly form of Vit C was fine. Next was added an antiinflammatory, meloxicam. Eventually we added low dose gabapentin & ultimately added tramadol. All that was over the course of 3 years from age 10 to 13.5.

As has already been mentioned earlier in thread, it is a good idea to do blood work before starting NSAIDs. It's a good idea for blood work in general. I'll also mention that my girl started slowing down around the same time she started show other symptoms of hypothyroid. If this issue with your girl doesn't turn out to be orthopedic or only partially so then it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a full thyroid panel to rule that out. It would not be my first though but past experience tells me it can contribute to such problems.

Good luck.

I don't have any advise, just good wishes that it turns out to be something easily treatable. I would suggest writing down everything you noticed before visiting the vet. Sometimes, I forget something so if I have it written down, I can ensure I asked about everything on my list.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks all. Vets tonight!

Last night I got back home and she seemed in much better spirits, got up from sofa and met me at door.

Gave her dinner with some cod liver oil and then a joint-care chew thing which she loved.

Managed a 30 min walk all fine.

Still struggling with steps and things.

Will let you know how vet goes tonight.

Thanks again, really appreciate it

Glad she's feeling more cheerful and here's some good luck for tonight :clover :clover :clover - let us know how you get on!

It could be anything from a pulled muscle to a pinched nerve. And yes, it could be weather related pain.

If she does have arthritis, two things are very important: keep up the exercise. Gentle leash walks are best, but if she's used to 30 minute walks, no reason not to continue those. It seems counterintuitive, but NOT exercising actually makes arthritis worse. Second thing is to keep her slim. If she's carrying any excess weight, get it off. If she's not, make sure you keep her slim.

She (and all older dogs) need muscle tone to support their joints. Greyhounds are not built for excess weight.

I am an arthritis sufferer myself, and these things hold true for human beings as well! My doctor said the ONLY thing I had going for me is my weight (or lack thereof) and he ordered me to stay slim for my own good!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi guys

Thanks all.

OK so had vets yesteday, she's pretty sure it's degredation (sorry can't spell) of the spine which is causing nerve pinching in the rear legs (mainly the right one) and some tightness of the abdomen.

Misty has had a shot of anti-inflamattories to the spine, and I've got Metacam to give her, plus some glucoasmine. Sh'es going back in a week to check progress. Vet has also said for her to have no walks for three days whilst the AIs bed in.

Last night I popped to shops and I came back and she'd managed to run upstairs and jump on bed just fine :)

She doesn't seem to be in any pain as such and her appetite's great.

So just a case of wait and see how the AIs work I guess, and loads of cuddles in the meantime.

Thankyou all for your support, really appreciate it :)

Andy

Guest barkdogs

If there is someone near you who does canine acupuncture, I highly recommend it! There is an amazing woman who works on my dogs (unfortunately a bit far from you in the UK!) and it has been incredibly helpful in many cases. I have adopted numerous seniors over the years so I have had numerous opportunities to see the results. Best of luck to you and your lovely girl.

Thanks, I've found one locally. What I'll do is when I see the vet next week is get her to sign the forms for it, also want to see how my girl responds to the AIFs first as well, but very keen on trying it.

Just want my girl not to suffer and enjoy her life as much as possible. Can't stand to see her in pain or discomfort, breaks my heart, I'd do anything for her.

HI guys

Well what a change in such a short time! She's not happy as she isn't allowed walks until Sat. However there has been a huge improvement, she's been running up and down the stairs again (mainly up - to the bed!) and her mood is loads better.

So nice to see improvement although we'll have to monitor it. Vets next Tuesday to follow up.

She's been such a good girl with it all though :)

just wanted to say a big thanks. The other day I was feeling so low as I was just thinking the worst. She's improved so much it's great. I know that she is getting on though but it's great to see her being stubborn about it!

thank you guys and have a great weekend with your hounds :)