Not Wanting To Walk On Leash

Hi everyone!

I have searched the topics here, but am still a little baffled at what I can do.

Moon will walk fine if we are going where she wants to go. If at any point (and this always varies) she decides she doesnt want to keep going, or go the way we are going, she plants her feet.

We have an easy walk harness on her that the leash attaches to at the front of her chest.

She will plant feet whether she is harnessed or just with her martingale collar, so its not that.

We try to coax her, try stopping and waiting, try leaning against her and moving her in a circle, try with treats.

I have tried walkin her with both Hattie and my shepard Tista whom she adores. That doesn't help.

With the harness when we try to go forward she tip toe walks as it tugs on her and tries to plant her feet even more.

We try varying the walk, going different places.

I am just not sure what I can do to get over this.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

This topic has a few posts. Here's what I wrote back in March about what worked for me. I've had Annie Bella over a year now and she so seldom plants herself that I don't even think about it any more.

The below info is at this link: http://forum.greytal...ng#entry5283679

If you decide he is done with his walk, that is he has P&Pd but is just not wanting to go home but you want to go home, here are some suggestions to get him moving that I wrote somewhere else on the forum (the link appears below).

When I first got Annie Bella (July last year), she planted herself more than walking, I swear. She still plants occasionally, but I have many ways to get her moving.

The first thing I recommend, which sometimes stops the planting, is to not slow down just 'cause your boy does, if indeed you ever do that. Walk along with the expectation he'll come along and don't slow or stop, even if he falls back a few feet. Without realizing it, we often pace ourselves to our dog's pace, and it should be the other way around. Don't let him stop and sniff just 'cause you think it's his right if he's one to stop and plant.

Try walking him in a circle. Hold him close to your thigh, walk around pressing on his shoulder with that thigh and as you come out, keep on walking. I don't use this any more because my Annie Bella is beyond that but it always worked for me, if not the first circle on the second.

Give him a gentle push on a shoulder with your knee or a hand. I don't know about other Greyhounds, but Annie Bella does not like that at all. Talk about giving me stinky eye. The push should be firm enough to make his feet move and that movement starts them walking again.

Using two hands, give a gentle, but firm, push on his side. If the push on the shoulder doesn't work with Annie Bella, I do the side push, firm enough so that all four feet have to move, and again, that movement gets her going.

The above two pushing/touching moves work the best. Once their feet are unplanted you get going and going quickly.

What also works for me, and I tried it out of frustration one time when I was really really really irritated with her, is to stand in front of her, bend down (I bend down so close that often her nose is touching mine), look her straight in the eyes and say with great firmness and aggravation, "Move!" or "Annie come." That always gets her going, because if I've reached that point, she knows I am pissed! tongue.gif (There are some dogs with whom this wouldn't work because of space issues. Annie has no problem with it.)

Often, especially when we're in the driveway heading to the door, she'll plant, or go slowwwwwwly, and I use my shame-on-you voice, and say something like, "Shame on you Annie Bella. Shame on you," my voice just dripping with disappointment and I tug. It took a few months of bonding before that worked.

You can always use treats. I never walk Annie Bella without treats in my pocket. They're good for training, if the opportunity comes up, and they're good to get her going. Gotta toss them, though, so your dog has to move. Once he's moving, you start out at a good pace with expectation in every step that he will follow.

The final way to get Annie moving - which I've had to use only twice because she refused to walk through a doorway -- is to hold her collar by the loop on the Martingale, which has her touching my thigh, and walk, tugging on the loop at the same time.

The thing is to get their feet moving again so don't be afraid to give that firm push, either on a shoulder or on the entire side. He may not like it but he will soon know that it will be done each time he stops. Annie Bella still occasionally pulls the planting thing and all I have to do is move my hands toward her body and she starts moving.

Good luck. I used to feel so foolish on a public street practically begging Annie Bella to move but those days are long gone, thankfully.

http://forum.greytal..._1#entry5145374

http://forum.greytal...ng#entry5184756

Edited by Feisty49

Honestly, Pop only planted himself once...and it was full on greyhound statue...we picked him up, carried him off the porch he had planted himself on, set him down about 5' from the porch and he's never tried that again :rofl

Good luck!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

A couple things work with Rocket.

Grab the leash up close to the martingale or harness. I find that the closer to his body that you grab it makes him realize that he is being led and not walked. This works more often than not. He also knows the words "this way." if I say "this way" while holding the leash up close to him he usually complies.

Sometimes it takes going in a circle or rubbing his ears to break whatever he is concentrating on that is stopping him. Other times, it seems like he just wants to cross the street. Lately, crossing the street seems to work and we continue on our way back home. I'm guessing that the smells are better on the other side of the street.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I will "boring-walk" a dog to death. Search for my topic on here. The dog's name was Patches, he was a foster. He planted his feet and would not move. Got me stuck and I carried him home - and that's not good for any of us.

The short version is: After the "stuck incident" I walked him in 10 foot squares with a stop. look. turn. at every corner until he was bored to death. By the time I made him bored and crazy about walking in a 10 ft. square he was THRILLED to go ANYWHERE else. I didn't let him out of that 10 foot square for walking for several days. Then we went out. And if he froze - it was straight back to the yard and the 10 foot boring square. On out first few "adventures" I never went too far.

• 3 months later...

I read this thread and the other one, and I can't wait to try these ideas out. I've got to say this forum is a lifesaver. I've gotten so much good information on my new grey. If nothing else, I know there's nothing wrong with her - she's just normal for a grey. :)

Guest Giselle

After having worked with so many different dogs from so many different backgrounds, I have to say that it seems like this behavior is waaaaay more prevalent in ex-racing greys than in any other "demographic" of dog. Moreover, it's way more prevalent in newly adopted ex-racers than any other dog. Knowing what we now know about dog vision (especially with sighthounds), it seems that "statuing" is related to overly heightened senses. It would make sense to me that the best way to overcome these situations is to

1) ask the dog to provide alternative behaviors starting in low-stress environments and working up to high-sensory environments

2) avoid high-sensory environments until the dog is able to focus on you happily

3) use some type of tool to block vision during statuing episodes, i.e. Calming Caps: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24734

My two cents!

Glad we could be of help. There's almost NOTHING you can ask here that somebody hasn't been through.

So - how's it going?

Pretty well so far. She seems to be statuing less over the last week, even without me doing much different. I did switch from a collar to a harness and then to another harness before I was happy, and I think this harness (the Premium Sure-fit) one is the one that is going to work, so that may be one reason for the improved walking. I think she likes it better too. With the new harness I feel comfortable pulling her a little harder because I don't have to worry about her neck, and on those occasions where she has statued, I pushed her or touched her ears to get her going again, and that seemed to work. Yay! Things are improving every day.

Pretty well so far. She seems to be statuing less over the last week, even without me doing much different. I did switch from a collar to a harness and then to another harness before I was happy, and I think this harness (the Premium Sure-fit) one is the one that is going to work, so that may be one reason for the improved walking. I think she likes it better too. With the new harness I feel comfortable pulling her a little harder because I don't have to worry about her neck, and on those occasions where she has statued, I pushed her or touched her ears to get her going again, and that seemed to work. Yay! Things are improving every day.

Good for you! I'm SO HAPPY that your dedication (the MOST important thing) and a little bit of advice from others.. has helped. Sometimes time, changing tactics, and confidence on everyone's part can make all the differece.

Stick with it. You're doing FABULOUS. I'm looking forwrd to the posts on GT when YOU are giving advice to people with the same issue. We learn from each other. WELCOME to the comminity. We all teach, and learn.

Thanks so much! You are really right about the confidence too. It seems like the more comfortable I get with Lara, the better she is. She is my first dog, so I had no idea how to "read" dog body language and behavior. I've been reading books and this forum, and that is helping tremendously. Thanks to everyone for creating such a welcoming and informative community. As a side note, I have to say that my husband is the one who wanted a dog, and I had almost no interest. I told him my main pet peeves were barking and dog-smell, and that's why a greyhound seemed like a good fit. But now that we have her, I am absolutely crazy about her, probably even more than he is. It's a great experience to have this evolving relationship with another creature. I only ever had cats, and while I love them, it wasn't nearly as interactive of an experience as having a dog.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much! You are really right about the confidence too. It seems like the more comfortable I get with Lara, the better she is. She is my first dog, so I had no idea how to "read" dog body language and behavior. I've been reading books and this forum, and that is helping tremendously. Thanks to everyone for creating such a welcoming and informative community. As a side note, I have to say that my husband is the one who wanted a dog, and I had almost no interest. I told him my main pet peeves were barking and dog-smell, and that's why a greyhound seemed like a good fit. But now that we have her, I am absolutely crazy about her, probably even more than he is. It's a great experience to have this evolving relationship with another creature. I only ever had cats, and while I love them, it wasn't nearly as interactive of an experience as having a dog.

I'm glad you "got" the confidence thing naturally. When I got my first grey - I tried to do everything right - by the book- stressed too much and mad myself a little crazy. What I eventually learned - was that this is a dog - life is simple - deal with it. Don't get too freaked out about any quirk - just wing through it and get some advice when needed - and as long as you're ok - the dog probably will be too. (not to say there aren't big issues sometime that have to be dealt with).

We have something in common. I'm not a "dog-person". My husband is. We never had a dog in our home, and he always wanted one. I did some research, and thought a grey would suit my "not-dog-person" personality. So - we adopted a grey. Then I really loved my first grey, Sobe, in a way I never expected -Sobe was absolutey MY dog. We were SO close. I got a "dog" for my DH, but he was totally MY DOG. I realized that while I'm not a "dog-person" I'm definately "the-right-kind-of-dog-for-me" person. Since then, we've fostered 14 greys, adopted another one of them, Diana, who is TOTALLY my DH's dog, but a grey I really love. I'm still not really a "dog-person". But I do like most greys more than other dogs. And I ADORE the 2 greys I adopted. I've had strong affection for most of our fosters. I HAVE had a couple fosters that I was happy to see the tail of going out the door - too "dog-ish" for my taste! LOL! But they got adopted into great homes - so we did our job!

• 2 weeks later...

I think greys must be the crossover dog for non-dog people. I kind of knew that going in, but I didn't know just how crazy I would be about her. :)