Big D....need Advice

Slick has had issues with soft stool and diarrhea since we brought him home. Our vet is working with us however, with his toe taking all the attention we have moved it to the back burner. This past week his poo has been getting worse by the day. Friday when I came home from work he had actually lost a little control. There were drips of poo from the living room to the kitchen where he greeted me. I took him out and he had the squirts. That night we fed him only boiled chicken and rice. Saturday he got chicken and rice for breakfast and dinner. At 4 am I woke up to his belly squealing, the only way I can describe his poo is to say projectile diarrhea. He seems to feel ok, his nose is cold and wet. What else should I do?

Everyday-4.jpg

Guest sirsmom

call the vet and explain what's happening. We had something like that with 2 dogs 2 summers ago with some blood. We stopped kibble and gave the rice and chicken diet, panacur for 5 days, and then slowly introduced the kibble over a weeks time.

Anytime Rocket has those squeals along with the runs, we end up de-worming with Panacur and then sometimes Drontal Plus if the Panacur doesn't take care of it. The fecal tests for worms have never been positive, but usually de-worming takes care of the problem. Sounds like he is fairly new, so worms are highly likely. Panacur also tends to settle the tummy somewhat.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MyHoodies

For years, Damion had boo boo belly problems and poop was always mushy. Until this year!!! We have him on Taste of the Wild Pacific salmon. Only this brand and flavor. He has normal poo finally! I cant tell you how many times her was at the vets checking for everything and all i needed was a food change.

Good luck and only other recommendation is pure pumpkin.

Offer Pedialyte if you feel he might be dehydrating (important to every organ not to need to deal with thick blood)

Rule out Giardia. Rule out Salmonella. Bring worming up to date.

Substitute chicken with Turkey. You could boil up some turkey meat and rice. Once settled again try Iams with fish, barley, rice.

My dog is a big D dog if not fed sensibly and she's normally on this recipe now:

http://www.gelert-petnutrition.co.uk/prem-range.htm#adult (note no wheat but barley and maize in its place)

Iams, which i think has more beet in it, is a better firmer-upper but unfortunately she goes off it half way thru a big bag.

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry had a week long battle w/ the big D not long ago... He improved dramatically when I switched from rice to elbow pasta with Chicken broth and unflavored Pedialyte. He scarfed it down. I slowly added in a bit of wet food over a few days & he was fine

Thanks for the advice. I read through some old posts and tried some Quaker oats this morning and went out and bought some Imodium ad. Do you give them the child's dosage of Imodium? Time4Anap: we have had Slick for almost a year, wormed him 3 times in the first few months, tests always came back negative but we had to try everything. His last stool was soft so we are headed in the right direction.

Everyday-4.jpg

My Dustin has constant belly issues....tummy gurgles and sometimes boughts with bloody diarreah....In his case, we know he has a digestive tract condition...but given that you haven't had this baby that long, I would suggest asking your vet about a round of panacur for parasites that might not be showing in a fecal.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.