Changed Dog Food, Now Dry, Itchy Skin!

Guest undergreysspell

Mine gets a fish oil capsule plus a small drizzle of olive oil on her morning kibble and has good skin, shiny coat, with no dandruff.

One thing to look at is if you changed proteins. Some dogs don't do well on some protein sources like chicken for example. If you changed the protein source in your food, that may be the problem.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When I tried switching Henry to TOTW, he had some weird reaction to the protein source (bison and venison). He started licking his paws and bum and had real itchy skin. It could likely be due to the food switch. How is she doing otherwise (poops, energy level, etc.)? If everything else seems fine, you could try a skin coat supplement like fish oil. But it might be easier to find a food that agrees better with her.

When I tried switching Henry to TOTW, he had some weird reaction to the protein source (bison and venison). He started licking his paws and bum and had real itchy skin. It could likely be due to the food switch. How is she doing otherwise (poops, energy level, etc.)? If everything else seems fine, you could try a skin coat supplement like fish oil. But it might be easier to find a food that agrees better with her.

Her energy level is the same, sometimes a ittle more crazy than usual. she has started chewing at her bum area and is missing a lot of hair around the base of her tail and she is red and irritated back there. also chewing at her back legs a lot as well. The other day I spotted a flea on her and I treated her for it, havent seen any since. maybe she has a flea allergy?

Her energy level is the same, sometimes a ittle more crazy than usual. she has started chewing at her bum area and is missing a lot of hair around the base of her tail and she is red and irritated back there. also chewing at her back legs a lot as well. The other day I spotted a flea on her and I treated her for it, havent seen any since. maybe she has a flea allergy?

Ooh, based on those two things, I would suspect food allergy. Is the protein source different between the old and new foods?

Chewing at her tail sounds more like a flea problem than a food allergy to me. I would wait it out and see if the flea meds kick in...whenever any of my dogs have fleas their fur seems to go a bit dry. Also, when they shed their fur can be a bit itchy and dry, so it could be the weather. I would add an omega oil if possible (I prefer salmon oil) and wait it out at least a week or two before switching anything.

If she is really allergic to flea bites it only takes a few fleas to cause a lot of discomfort. This fall has also been pretty bad for grass/ragweed allergies which would also cause itching and biting. If you guys have had a frost this week the grass allergies should go away soon.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I agree about flea bites irritating her skin, and possibly weather. A flea comb can help you find (and remove) fleas and/or dark spects of flea excrement left behind.

Innova is a better food, so you might give it a few months. (Natura recommends a slow, one month food transition.) Innova is made with a balanced amount of oil already in the food.

Later, if a change is needed, CA Natural is a simple ingredient food that can work well for sensitive hounds.

i would go back to the old food

use hydrocortizone and aloe cream on the itchy areas(apply liberaly 3xs a day- those itchy areas turn into hot spots)

make sure there aren't any other fleas, one flea can cause havoic,so be diligent

once the weather changes, after the first frost and allergens are lower try the same protien source but an adult food.

i do remember trying a chicken based food, felix reacted within a couple of days(itching/biting/nibleing his coat/bum). put him on another protien source, no problems. most foods have chicken fat, they don't react to the fat.i challenged my findings a couple of years later, a different season- same reaction

Yeah, it seems very coincidental that the symptoms only occurred following the food switch. I would probably switch her back to the old food. If you don't want to do that, consider switching to a different food with the same protein source as the old food. In the meantime, keep the itchy areas clean and apply a topical ointment. If she continues to lick, you might need to muzzle. Keep us updated! I'm curious to see what happens.

I switched her back to the old food, she is still itchy and I knew there wouldnt be any sudden changes when I switched her back. I gave her a flea bath today (along with my other 2 dogs) and ddid find a few fleas with the comb after the bath (they were dead) and I have started putting the coconut oil on her food (took me 5 stores to find it!) But, I will keep you updated to see what happens! thanks for all the help!