Favorite Dog Bones

beledi

Guest sirsmom

I just checked this out and it is made in China..............

UGH. That sucks... these are still the best I've found, so I'll probably still use them. I do worry about the Made in China rawhide though.

That's funny...I bought a package of these yesterday at Petsmart and my package says made in USA. BTW, the dogs love them but I do supervise as they are smaller than I would like.

Guest FinnsMom

UGH. That sucks... these are still the best I've found, so I'll probably still use them. I do worry about the Made in China rawhide though.

That's funny...I bought a package of these yesterday at Petsmart and my package says made in USA. BTW, the dogs love them but I do supervise as they are smaller than I would like.

I grabbed a bag from Petsmart that were quite small as well. Upon reading the bag it said small to medium size dog (didn't read bag in the store) so I went to Global Pet Foods and they carried the large ones, as well as having a raw food section. I am in total dog heaven now. No more Petsmart for me as Global has it all. When I gave him the large one he looked at the bone, then looked up at me with a "what the hell am I supposed to do with that" look and walked away. :hehe So I had to start him off on the smaller one and then do an "exchange" and now he's been chewing on the big one happily for 2 days. :chow

I grabbed a bag from Petsmart that were quite small as well. Upon reading the bag it said small to medium size dog (didn't read bag in the store) so I went to Global Pet Foods and they carried the large ones, as well as having a raw food section. I am in total dog heaven now. No more Petsmart for me as Global has it all. When I gave him the large one he looked at the bone, then looked up at me with a "what the hell am I supposed to do with that" look and walked away. :hehe So I had to start him off on the smaller one and then do an "exchange" and now he's been chewing on the big one happily for 2 days. :chow

Yessssss! How do the teeth look so far? I kind of like the smaller size just because my guys lose interest after they chew all the meaty gunk off. So at that point, I just throw them away and give them new ones. I've never had any issues with them choking or trying to swallow them whole, and we've been using this same brand for about two years. I probably should've mentioned that it says "small dogs" with a picture of a Westie on the package though. :P

Guest wylie_coyote

What do you do about a dog who devours things like marrow bones?

Magic doesn't chew, he eats. They got these huge (marrow?) bones on Monday, like, the size of a steak, and before we knew it, Magic had this thing down to nothing.

8185100794_bf6e99203a.jpg

upload by *just_me*, on Flickr

He's the only one that did that. Sherry and Charlie both were content to just chew, and theirs look as if they weren't really touched LOL!

I don't think so. At least, I've never had any problems. Are you giving him the bones raw, or are they smoked/dehydrated? I give knee bones (the ones you buy in pet stores), which have already been processed. The one time I gave Henry a raw knuckle bone from the butcher shop, he had explosive diarrhea for days. If your dog tolerates raw bones, then by all means, give them to him raw. But because marrow is rich and high in fat, there's the potential that it can cause diarrhea. You might want to split it in half (if possible).

Guest sirsmom

Yessssss! How do the teeth look so far? I kind of like the smaller size just because my guys lose interest after they chew all the meaty gunk off. So at that point, I just throw them away and give them new ones. I've never had any issues with them choking or trying to swallow them whole, and we've been using this same brand for about two years. I probably should've mentioned that it says "small dogs" with a picture of a Westie on the package though. :P

The teeth are great after giving these kneecaps. How often do you give them?

Do be a bit cautious with those big bones and aggressive chewers...they can sometimes cause slab fractures. I personally do feed them every once in a while, but none of my dogs are aggressive chewers and they kind of just grind the meat down and leave the bone. :) I would be watching very closely with a strong chewer and take it away if they get chewing too hard.

The teeth are great after giving these kneecaps. How often do you give them?

Twice a week. We also give them rawhide rolls (Sam's Club brand). I prefer the rolls because one of my guys tries to swallow the strips whole. Between the bones, chewies, and Dental Fresh added to their water, both of mine have great, white teeth. Henry is turning 5 next month and has never had a dental.

Guest FinnsMom

So far no issues with the bones. I've only given Finn a couple of the small ones and he hasn't chewed on the large one in a few days now. All the good stuff is gone so that one will be in the garbage tonight. I do watch closely with the small ones though as I'm still a nervous first time grey mom. LOL He gets turkey necks as part of his diet a few times a week so he doesn't need the knee bones all the time.

I did buy him a large split raw beef knuckle bone and will give that to him tomorrow for a treat.

Can you give a grey chicken necks? The turkey necks I buy are huge so I cut them in half, but at Global, they sell bags of chicken necks as well, they are a lot smaller than the turkey necks so I'm wondering about the safety issue.

So far no issues with the bones. I've only given Finn a couple of the small ones and he hasn't chewed on the large one in a few days now. All the good stuff is gone so that one will be in the garbage tonight. I do watch closely with the small ones though as I'm still a nervous first time grey mom. LOL He gets turkey necks as part of his diet a few times a week so he doesn't need the knee bones all the time.

I did buy him a large split raw beef knuckle bone and will give that to him tomorrow for a treat.

Can you give a grey chicken necks? The turkey necks I buy are huge so I cut them in half, but at Global, they sell bags of chicken necks as well, they are a lot smaller than the turkey necks so I'm wondering about the safety issue.

Hmmm... never tried chicken necks. We give chicken feet, which are disgusting and look like witch hands... but alas, the dogs love them.

Guest FinnsMom

I think I'll stick to the turkey necks then, at least I know they'll help clean his teeth as it takes him a while to eat it. My guy loves the chicken feet as well. Me ... not so much. I give one to him and have to leave the room. LOL