Oatmeal Really Does Work

Guest FinnsMom

Guest FinnsMom

So we have had Finn now a little over a month, and have maybe had two firm poops the whole time. I tried pumpkin but that seemed to make his more soft. Someone on here (can't remember name or thread) posted about oatmeal. So, this morning I made a bit of oatmeal and added 1/4 cup to his kibble and his first poop of the day was nice and firm. It's amazing how picking up a nice firm dog poop can brighten the day. LOL So I have to say a HUGE thanks to whomever it was that posted about oatmeal. I'll be adding it to each of his meals now and hopefully this isn't a one poop deal. :)

Guest grey_dreams

Oatmeal also has some kind of calming factor in it. My dogs are more mellow when I give them oatmeal. It's also very good for their bloodstream and arterial system. And someone told me that the fiber is just about perfect for anal gland health.

Guest grey_dreams

I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, approximately 4 teaspoons per 60 pound dog, just pour some boiling water on them (enough to cover well) and let them soak until cool. Then I add it to their food (they are raw fed). I also add about half a teaspoon of Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw Organic Powder Nutritional Supplement, which contains a lot of dried vegetables, vegetable sprouts, and grasses. Then mix it all together and serve.

Steel cut oats here. I eat them for breakfast and often make enough for the dogs. A little extra work, but worth it. I start them the night before.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Oatmeal was the only thing that helped to stop my Golden Retriever's chronic diarrhea when she was on a very rich kibble (Orijen puppy). Worked like a charm. :)

Guest FinnsMom

Nope, he's hardly had any gas since I added the oatmeal to his meals. And when he does start to make my eyes water I just take him for a walk, he poops, and all is good again. :nod

We have used beet pulp fiber (available at the feed store for under $10 for a lifetime supply).

I juice and often use beets in what I make so if I kept the beet pulp would that be the same as what is bought in the stores?

I could either dehydrate it or just add it to his meal as is.

Edited by FinnsMom

Guest grey_dreams

I juice and often use beets in what I make so if I kept the beet pulp would that be the same as what is bought in the stores?

I could either dehydrate it or just add it to his meal as is.

Beet pulp fiber is derived from sugar beets, which are not the same thing as edible red beets.

I feed in a similar fashion. They get raw meats (usually ground with bone) plus green vegetables run through the food processor and with another meal they get the soaked oat flakes (usully soaked in goat milk but often I will make a bone broth with soup bones and use the liquid for soaking). with cooked swet potato and either a small amount of canned pink salmon/sardines in water-no salt or steamed whiting filet.. Sometimes I mix oat and barley flakes and soak them both per Juliette de Bairacli Levy who raised the worlds top afghan hounds. I use a mix of ground dry herbs for supplement plus oil. brit

I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats, approximately 4 teaspoons per 60 pound dog, just pour some boiling water on them (enough to cover well) and let them soak until cool. Then I add it to their food (they are raw fed). I also add about half a teaspoon of Garden of Life Perfect Food Raw Organic Powder Nutritional Supplement, which contains a lot of dried vegetables, vegetable sprouts, and grasses. Then mix it all together and serve.

During the cooler months I crock pot a suppliment for my girls that has chicken, chopped apple, oatmeal, zucchini and carrots. They get about 1/2c mixed in their food and love it. At first I was afraid they would protest when I stopped it in the warmer weather, but they transition back to plain kibble without a fuss. It's a bit of extra work, but cooking it in the crock pot makes it much easier. Some people cook chicken until the bones turn to mush, but I remove the bones after it is cooked. The girls love it! No problems with soft stools or gas.