What Do You Do When They Don't Enjoy The Walk?

Let me preface by stating that Wendy is about as perfect a dog as anyone could wish for. My one disappointment is that she has not been a good walking companion. She seems to dislike the walk and is quite done after about 10 minutes of sniffabouts and reading pee-mail. I've tried taking her on a good, steady, say...1/2 hour walk but she acts like she's at death's door and really seems not to enjoy it at all.

My question is this...should I gently encourage her (hate to say force her...but) to walk with me whether she appears to like it or not? She'll get over it... Or should I respect that she's just not a walker? I know, I know...the one with opposable thumbs makes the rules! :blush

Thanks for your input!

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Summer would poop in my shoes if I tried to take her for a 1/2 hour walk. No more than 15 or 20 minutes for her ladyship. But we do have access to other greyhounds and she gets to go to playgroup with them a few times a week (sometimes just one or two hounds, sometimes as many as 25) and run freely. And there's always zoomies, toys and the beloved lure pole in the back yard. So walking isn't a requirement for her, exercise wise. We just do it for stimulation so if she only wants 15 minutes of that, we're okay with it. Does Wendy need to walk for exercise?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

No, Wendy is quite fit and maintains a good weight. She has a large yard for zoomies and we play just about every day with the lure pole and other toys. It's all about me, really...I want to walk with my hound! :dunno Oh, well.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I have the same issue with Capri. For Capri the issue seems to be the temperature. If it's over 75 degrees, she's a wilting lilly and drags her butt along behind me at the extreme end of the leash with her head down looking all pathetic. I don't buy that a dog that raced for 3 years in Daytona can't handle Virginia temps. :lol

For you, perhaps you can shorten the lure pole playtimes on days when you really want to walk. She may be tuckered out.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I have the same issue with Capri. For Capri the issue seems to be the temperature. If it's over 75 degrees, she's a wilting lilly and drags her butt along behind me at the extreme end of the leash with her head down looking all pathetic. I don't buy that a dog that raced for 3 years in Daytona can't handle Virginia temps. :lol

For you, perhaps you can shorten the lure pole playtimes on days when you really want to walk. She may be tuckered out.

Yah, Florida is really hot but I've read that the kennels are A/Cd so in actuality, the dogs don't spend that much time outside in high temps. I suspect when they're turned out for play and P&P, they don't do a lot of playing in the hot hot weather.

Guest grey_dreams

Probably the temperature is too hot for her. I just checked, and you've been having temps in the upper 80's. That's way too hot for some dogs, who may be more sensitive to heat. Also, if she has an underlying condition that you don't yet know about, she will be even more sensitive to heat.

Wait until the temperatures drop. You may find that she's more than willing to walk in the cold weather.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest zombrie

What kind of surface are you walking on? Could her feet be sore from walking on asphalt/is it hot? All of mine had to start out walking short distances because their feet weren't used to it. Now we walk 2-4 miles everyday and they could keep going. Could just be her, too!

Guest BrindleBabes

It's all about me, really...I want to walk with my hound! :dunno Oh, well.

I can relate to that! One of my hounds actually lies down in the grass when she's done walking (about one block). The neighbors think it's hilarious, but I don't. So I usually walk her back home and take my other, more willing, girl for a longer walk. The problem is that I'M not getting enough exercise!

The heat is an issue with Wendy. Her Highness does not do heat! But, the aversion to walking is not contingent on the weather.

I'm curious, does she seem more tired? Or just overall more reluctant?

Her health is excellent; she's always been a reluctant walker.

What kind of surface are you walking on? Could her feet be sore from walking on asphalt/is it hot? All of mine had to start out walking short distances because their feet weren't used to it. Now we walk 2-4 miles everyday and they could keep going. Could just be her, too!

Nah, it's just her! I don't walk her during the heat of the day. If it's too hot for my bare feet, I know it's too hot for hers.

That would drive me nuts. I'm a walker. When I picked out Summit my all important questions were:

1. Does he have separation anxiety? (landlord lived above us)

2. Is he small animal safe? (we have 3 rabbits)

3. Does he like to walk?

Summit does slow down in the heat but he'll still go several hours with me even on a warmer day (just at a slower pace). We take him all day hiking with us.

The puppy pretty much has to walk. She has no choice at this stage!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

The puppy pretty much has to walk. She has no choice at this stage!

So you're thinking I should force gently encourage her to follow she-who-provides- kibble on 1/2 hour walkies?

Teague loves to walk, he can do hours a day, but he drags behind if it is warm or if we are doing a "boring" walk around town. If it is even a little bit warm or humid he starts dragging, and we can only go for short periods. If I take him hiking, or on a new trail he perks right up though. You may want to take a drive somewhere new and see if that perks her up to see if she is just bored or if she truly does not enjoy walking.

Some greys are probably quite satisfied with a 15-20 min. walk (not mine!! lol). You can try to gradually build up her endurance and do varied routes for interest if she seems okay with it.

Guest FrankieWylie

We had to entice Charlie to walk! He would statue like pure concrete when we reached the end of the drive way.

Basically I put some kibble in my pocket and every few driveways would give him a piece. After about three days I started increasing the distance between kibble pieces. He is so food motivated he would keep walking in hopes of one more teeny piece of kibble.

Guest twogreytkids

Pay attention to your humidity. High humidity can sometimes make long walks very uncomfortable.

My boy walks fine and can go for long walks when the humidity is lower. In Miami, high humidity can really be a downer for people and for hounds.

Yah, Florida is really hot but I've read that the kennels are A/Cd so in actuality, the dogs don't spend that much time outside in high temps. I suspect when they're turned out for play and P&P, they don't do a lot of playing in the hot hot weather.

Pay attention to your humidity. High humidity can sometimes make long walks very uncomfortable.

My boy walks fine and can go for long walks when the humidity is lower. In Miami, high humidity can really be a downer for people and for hounds.

Also, remember that dogs adjust once they're adopted (if they didn't, it would be truly cruel to adopt a Florida dog to Canada, would it not? ;) ), and may adjust to lower temperatures quicker than you think. And yes, humidity will be a big factor. I can do quite well in dry heat, but I feel like I'm dying in high humidity at the same temperature.

Another thing to consider is where you are walking her. Not only the potential heat from the pavement, but are you going somewhere interesting for her, or is it always the same route.

My dogs have always been so-so about walking the local routes which we do often, but when we take them somewhere new, they perk right up.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Des is another one of those (who raced in Fla for 3 years) who cannot tolerate heat......heck, he doesn't even do warm very well.

Over 70 & he acts like I'm dragging him to his doom.

I've found that his favorite temp is in the 40's. That makes him act like a frisky colt.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

One of my girls was a slow/reluctant walker from the beginning, but when the weather warmed up and she started laying down where she stood I took her to the vet. Turns out the poor girl has a heart condition and the warm weather made it worse. She wants to go with the other dogs so I walk all three around the block or half block depending on how she is doing and then leave her home and the rest of us go for a real walk. She is OK with that, but if I don't take her around the block you can hear her screaming two blocks away which can't be good for her heart!

june