Euthanasia; Question For A Friend

robinw

Guest PhillyPups

I do not take my hounds with me. I feel it is a very personal, private time, the last words they hear are me telling them how much I love them. A private time with me and my pup. These are just my personal feelings. Zeus mourned Stepper and when I lost Stepper Zeus was never quite himself again. They were very bonded. SugarBear mourned Runner terribly, she never had quite the same bond with Stepper, but they got along fine.

I'm not sure it makes a difference for the companion dog to actually witness the euthanasia, but I do believe it helps them to see the deceased dog's body afterward for closure. I hear many owners say that the remaining dog seems lost and keeps looking for the other dog when the dog who died just never comes home from the vet. I seem to hear this less when the remaining dog is allowed to see the body.

I see a family who had a pair of littermate sisters (chow mixes) who were inseparable. They always brought both dogs along for their appointments because they said the one left at home would be distraught. Both dogs were recently diagnosed with serious health problems - Pepper with metastatic cancer, and Nutmeg with Cushing's. The owners expressed concern that Nutmeg wouldn't survive Pepper's passing. When they brought Pepper in for euthanasia last week, they actually didn't bring Nutmeg along. I hadn't thought to discuss this beforehand as I just assumed they would bring both like they always did. They had gone back and forth on whether to bring her and decided not to because they weren't sure it was appropriate. After discussing it with them, the husband decided to go home and bring Nutmeg back.

We actually performed the euthanasia on the table because the owner wasn't able to get down on the floor with Pepper. Nutmeg was on the floor and couldn't see what we were doing. When we were done, we set Pepper down on the floor. Nutmeg looked interested and came right over to see her, but after one brief sniff, she immediately turned away, walked back to the other side of the room and lay down. She showed no more interest in Pepper's body even when her owners tried to get her to go back over - it was like that one sniff was all she needed to know that Pepper was no longer there.

We just saw Nutmeg back today, and she is doing well. The owner says she has started sleeping in some of the spots where Pepper used to sleep but doesn't seem to be depressed or grieving. We sent them a card with a hair clipping from Pepper, and they said that when they showed it to Nutmeg, she started wagging her tail. Then they let her sniff Pepper's collar, and she wagged her tail again. Despite the earlier concerns, Nutmeg seems to be at peace with her sister's passing.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

In the past I have not taken the other dogs when having one put down. I can see both sides, but since I have two girls that are getting older and one of them with some serious health issues I've been thinking about asking my vet if she will come to my home when the time comes. So sorry for your friend. I guess I just tell her to go with her heart.

june

Geeze, I was sobbing way too hard when Kramer was put to sleep to even think about dealing with another dog there. Even the vet was crying! We sat on the floor with him and made it as easy for HIM as possible.

When one of my cats died very suddenly at home, I scooped him up and raced off to the vet so quickly the other cats never realized what had happened, and I SWEAR it changed one of them for the rest of his life. One minute his best buddy was there, and then he was gone and never came back. I do wish I had let him see that his friend was dead--but it was just such a horrible shock to see a six year old cat literally fall over dead in front of me I wasn't thinking.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Robin, can you let Nancy know we're thinking about her and Mark today and hope Mazy's passing is peaceful. I would but I can't find her email address. this is really really sad. I imagine it will be a very sad day for all of them including the kids and Max.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

In my own experiences, the dogs know. They don't need to witness it to know. When Icky passed in our yard, we let the pack see him and spend a few minutes with his body. When both Echo and Atlas passed, they were at the vets office and the pack stayed home. But the pack knew. There was no hiding that they were sick and dogs can sense this long before we do. It is not uncommon for an ill wolf to leave the pack never to return and in a way, I think the dogs are not any different in this. They know that the sick one will go and not return at some point.

Yes, they will grieve. Some grieve more than others. Just like us, they each handle it in their own way.

I would tell Nancy that she should talk to Max about it. Tell him that Mazy is (going to be) pain free and safe once more. Since it's a pack of two, I would encourage her to do something special with Max frequently over the next few weeks... longer walk, car rides... whatever he enjoys to help him through his slump. Like us, they want to feel that love and safety. But she should not be surprised if Max withdraws for a bit, doesn't eat as fervently, and even loses a bit of weight. He'll be okay, just as she will.

My thoughts are with them today. May Mazy be greeted by the angels and welcomed into the warmth.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Robin, can you let Nancy know we're thinking about her and Mark today and hope Mazy's passing is peaceful. I would but I can't find her email address. this is really really sad. I imagine it will be a very sad day for all of them including the kids and Max.

Yes please do so Robin if you can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending positive thoughts and strength to Mazy's family. May Mazy peacefully reach the rainbow bridge.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I tried to shield Raven by having the techs entertain her in another exam room while Argus was being put down. It didn't work. She knew exactly what had happened. Now I wish I'd let her "say goodbye" even if that just meant letting her see him/sniff him when he was gone. I don't know that I'd want another dog in the room at the time because sometimes euthanasia doesn't go as smoothly as anticipated (Tiny screamed and fought) and that might be very upsetting. But bringing the other dog in afterward to see the body and let it sink in is probably beneficial.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest DeniseL

Im so sorry it is time for Mazy to transition. Hugs and prayers to you. When it is time for one of my pack to go to the bridge, I will try to have it done at home and have all hounds present afterwards to understand what has happened....

3 of our pups (one a lab, and the other Rainey and Anubis) were let go at home with the other surviving pup right next to them. I think it was good to have them there so they know they are gone. Captain (our schipperke) was the only one that had any issues, and that was due to a brain tumor and not really the loss of his best pal Chester. Anubis could have cared less with Rainey's passing and Larry the same with Nube's.

if your friend has home euthanization available (and can afford it, it's quite a bit more than in-office) I would strongly recommend she does that. It's FAR more comfortable for everyone, especially the pup that is going on.

sending your friend hugs. This is the hardest, yet most important part of loving these guys.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

This is a very old thread...Mazy went to the bridge in 2012. but now they have adopted Ringo, a young energetic grey, and failed foster, who has fit in very well.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross