Huge Eye Goober

Hello Everyone,

Pete always has eye goobers, sometimes he wipes them off, sometimes I do. Well I wiped one off yesterday and there was pink skin underneath. He has since scratched at this spot and I have taken q-tip with Hydrogen peroxide to it. I cleaned it before bed last night, today he scratched it again and there was a speck of blood. When I cleaned it again just now with the q-tip and HP it fizzed and there was color to the q-tip. I applied a tiny bit of Vaseline to the eye crease after cleaning it to cover the abrasion. Does anyone know if this is the correct way to apply first aid. It's not bleeding, he lets me clean it. it looked better this AM but not when I checked it later this morning. All help and comments appreciated. If it doesn't look improved tomorrow AM I will take him into the Vet. I'm sure with all the Greyt Wisdom here somebody knows exactly what I'm dealing with. Should i cover his dew claw with a wrap or not?

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Generally using hydrogen peroxide isn't recommended--it can destroy healthy tissue. I wouldn't worry about cleaning it for now since you're taking him in tomorrow. I'd leave the dew claw alone--bandaging them can cause pressure sores, and then you have two problems. Iwould talk to your vet about possible allergies, or what else might be causing the eye goop and irritation.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Hydrogen peroxide is really only good to clean something one time. After that, it tends to interfere with healing tissue. And the scrape needs air to heal, so vaseline is not a good choice, either. (Often, skin under eye boogers looks all red and irritated because the crusty stuff has blocked oxygen to the skin in the first place.)

I'd just leave it for a day or so. If it looks dirty, I'd wipe gently with a cotton ball or a bit of paper towel that I dampened in plain water. Don't rub hard enough to damage any scab that might be forming: you just want to wipe off any soft new eye goop.

Don't wrap his dew claw. If he starts to rub at his eye, just try to distract him.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Okay I will leave it alone. Thanks

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

I would leave it alone, and if there are changes take him to the vet. He will probably get a salve to put on it if bad enough. I would also see whats causing to have the big eye goobers. I know my girl gets them more when she has beef products, and her ears get more waxy/dirty too. We try and stay away then she doesn't scratch her ears as much or eyes.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Pete's eye crease has healed with no additional issues. I know it's drier here than most places...and when running and playing in the yard he does kick up a lot of dust. We've cut back on the playing with the Jolly ball for a few days and that has cut back on the amount of eye goobers. Thanks for all the help.