Insect Sting? Strange Behavior

Guest OPointyDog

Guest OPointyDog

Zoe had a strange "incident" on our walk this morning. She was walking along normally, and then suddenly stopped and started frantically pawing at her face (right front paw, right side of her face). She was trying to walk and scratch at the same time for a few strides, then stopped completely. Then started shaking her head violently, and foam started coming out of her mouth. She gagged a little, snapped at the air a few times, then started shaking her head again. Eventually started rubbing her face against the sidewalk, and then laid down in the leaves on her side. At that point I was starting to panic and wondering how I would get her home to go to the e-vet (and wondering why these things always happen on a Sunday when the vet is closed!). She was awake and alert - I've seen seizures before, and I'm fairly certain that's not what was going on.

Then, as suddenly as it started, she jumped up and started off on the walk as if nothing had happened. I tried my best to look around on her face and couldn't find any sign of a wound or bite. I wondered if a wasp or bee had stung her (I got stung by a wasp near the same area a few weeks ago).

She has rubbed her face a few more times, but no more foam. She finished the walk just fine - peeing and pooping normally. She had breakfast and ate normally. The only change at home is that she's not showed much interest in her "Spot's Chew" - a dental stick that I give her to chew on. Usually she chows them right down. This time she played with it, but has left it otherwise unchewed. Do you think her mouth is hurting her? Worth a visit to the regular vet tomorrow? Anything I should look out for? I've looked in her mouth a bit, and don't see anything amiss. Nothing on her face looks red or swollen.

We have benadryll, tramidol, and previcox on hand. I've never given her benadryll, though.

Guest OPointyDog

Oh, that's an interesting idea! Maybe she had something fly into her mouth that didn't taste good... She has been drinking a lot of water this afternoon! Hmmm.

Oh, that's an interesting idea! Maybe she had something fly into her mouth that didn't taste good... She has been drinking a lot of water this afternoon! Hmmm.

My first thought was perhaps she'd been stung inside her mouth, but if that as the case she probably would not have eaten her breakfast.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg