Health Question.new To Greytalk

Guest Greyhoundpups

Guest Greyhoundpups

If anyone could let me know if this sounds like something their grey has had or know what it might be....We went to the er vet last night and I will be making an appt Monday for a check up on everything.

So last night My 9 year old grey(who we have had for about 4 months now) started acting weird. The first thing was she was drinking water and then walked into the kitchen(and I didnt get to witness this) she opened her mouth and water came out? But when I cleaned it up it was like clear salivia not just water....maybe a combination?

Then she just couldnt get comfortable and kept standing in weird spots in the living room and looking at us. She finally laid down on the floor,not her bed, and we thought that was strange....THEN she started shaking. like her front half....arms/shoulders neck/head. Nothing out of control or anyhting but she would shake for a few then stop and then it would start again. When she stood up I felt her stomach and her heart was beating really fast. Then she started panting a little bit.

We took her to the er( I was nervous about bloat or that she ate something poisonous) they said her heart rate was high and her blood pressure was high. They took xrays. There were air bubbles in her stomach and he said her stomach was probably hurting her. He said she could stay over night there but I knew she would get more worked up so we took her home. He gave her a shot to help her stomach pain and she seeemed much better when we got home.

Today I talked to the er vet on the phone and he said that the second opinion of the xrays came back with no abnormalties. He said to start feeding a bland diet and keep an eye on her. He mentioned that it could be pancreatitis?

We are keeping a close eye on her...she seems better more comfortable but I feel like her heart is still slightly fast.

Anyone have any thoughts or questions I could bring up to the vet. Thanks a lot!

Guest 2dogs4cats

Is she overweight and/or eat a lot of fatty foods? May want to have her glucose checked. There is sometimes a correlation between pancreatitis and diabetes. Either order can occur. Daisy had a bout of pancreatitis and resulting diabetes. I don't know what an :attack" of pancreatitis looks like, so I am no help there. She had it before I got her. Good luck and keep us posted. How scary for you!

Guest Greyhoundpups

No she is not overweight. She does not eat a lot of fatty foods either. We have had her for 4 months so I dont know what she had before that.Ps my dog is Daisy too! She came with the name she call her Daisy Lou or Dazel. Thank you for responding

Guest amazing_gracie

I'm so sorry to hear about this!! I hope you get answers soon and Daisy Lou feels better!! (By the way, this is purplegreyhound from Instagram.)

Edited by amazing_gracie

Guest Greyhoundpups

Oh my gosh,haha hey! Yeah I need to get this figured out....for once Im looking forward to Monday so I can set up an appt with the vet. Thanks

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear Daisy Lou is poorly. :( So wish they could talk & tell you what's wrong at times like this.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Did they run bloodwork-any idea of the results? A big air filled tummy may have been from her panting-happy they didn't find any obstructions. Hopefully, this was just a transient belly ache (gas)--wonder if she had some tummy regurge and could benefit from a round of antacids but, glad your getting her checked out.

Congrats on your new adoption-thanks for adopting an older gal too!

Guest Greyhoundpups

Ugh I know! Im always like quick just tell me whats wrong and I will pretend like I never heard you say anything,haha.She seems fine right now. Im just paranoid. Wanted to see if anyone had anything like this happen.

Hmm, scary. Has she been able to eat/drink normally today?

I hope it was a one-time quirky situation and that she will be fine soon.

My boys will sometimes drink water then regurgitate it (yeah, thicker saliva-water) a half-minute later. No other similar symptoms though.

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest Greyhoundpups

Thanks tbhounds! I love older greys! Yeah I hope it was gas or something silly. They are having us give her something like a pepcid once a day. Im going to set up an appt Monday. Might recheck xrays and they said if it gets worse an ultrasound.

May want to have her glucose checked. There is sometimes a correlation between pancreatitis and diabetes. Either order can occur. Daisy had a bout of pancreatitis and resulting diabetes. I don't know what an :attack" of pancreatitis looks like, so I am no help there.

With Poodle his pre diabetes pancreatitis was drink, vomit, repeat until I scooped him up and we got to the vet. He did the classic arched back sort of like a halloween cat vomiting pose. Second the question of it they did bloodwork.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest 2dogs4cats

No she is not overweight. She does not eat a lot of fatty foods either. We have had her for 4 months so I dont know what she had before that.Ps my dog is Daisy too! She came with the name she call her Daisy Lou or Dazel. Thank you for responding

Wow, what a coincidence! Daisy was Bluedaze and her previous owner named her Daisy. Well then hopefully it's not pancreatitis! Please let us know. Sending healing thoughts.

Guest Greyhoundpups

Yeah she has been eating and drinking normally. Today we were told to do a bland diet and not her regular food. She has been great with it. Everything seems normal...food/water and bathroom habbits. It was so weird. Thanks greydawg

Guest Greyhoundpups

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Yeah she has not vomitted...just that weird water thing and I didnt see her do.......my boyfriend saw her. He said it just looked like she opened her mouth and burped water out...no noises or anything. They didnt do any blood work last night but Im sure our regular vet will want to do it(he has a bunch of greyhounds of his own.) Its funny you say that arched back halloween cat because she did two little mini "halloween cats" as I call them. It looked like she was just trying to stretch a little.She has not done anything out of the ordinary today though. She did one last night in the er and I pointed and said to my boyfriend "did you just see that halloween cat she did?!"

My greyhound hasn't done the drink too much water and burp up,(he just lets the excess run out of his mouth after drinking) but my Golden does, it's like he forgets how much his stomach will hold, and then up comes the slimy water.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

How's Daisy tonight?

Did you get her into your regular vet for a checkup??

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Just makes me think that she drank too fast and got too much air in her tummy, which is uncomfortable. Then she had what I would call a "puky burp" and that's where the saliva/water mix came from. But because her belly was full of air, she was uncomfortable. Some dogs when they are uncomfortable can get a little bit scared and they'll shake out of nervousness...

Ace has done that before and done the arched cat back followed by stretching out her back legs...classic signs of tummy hurting somehow. She had gas pain :blush I now keep Gas-X tablets at my house.

Not saying you shouldn't speak to your normal vet, but, if she seems to be feeling alright and is eating well with no vomiting or diarrhea, I'd be inclined to call it an isolated incident.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Our first greyhound, Dancer, did this often enough to earn the nickname "The Puke Hound." We elevated the water bowl. That solved 95% of her puking.

However, Dancer was still affectionately called "Puke Hound" for the remainder of her life. :beatheart

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Glad to hear she is doing well. I would still get her bloodwork done by your vet to rule out anything and keep an eye on her, it may have been a freak incident of gas and discomfort. Try the bowl raised and see if that helps if you don't already.

You can take a deep breath now.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Guest Greyhoundpups

Hey everyone thanks so much! She had a check up this past Thursday and it was good! Our vet thinks she just had an upset tummy. She has been perfectly fine ever since. She just needed to scare us like out other Grey so now theyre even,haha! And no she has never had a seizure before. I hope this was just a hurting stomach and nothing more happens. Thank you all for your concern and advice!