The Difference Of Missing Just One Dose

I've had Nadir on Gabepentin twice daily ever since I learned in early July that it helped him maintain control of his bladder. I no longer come home to him in a soaked incontinence pad or a puddle on the floor. About 3 weeks ago I realized on my way to work I had forgotten to give him his morning dose. I came home to a puddle later that day when I returned home from work. Just this past Thursday I came home to find a puddle on the floor. My first thought was oh no, its starting again. That was until I found the 3 cheese wrapped Gabapentin I had forgotten to give him sitting on top of the microwave. Its hard to believe one dose could make such a difference, but it does.

As far as I'm concerned Gabapentin has been a miracle drug! So glad it's helped Nadir!!!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I sure can relate to this Judy. I get so mad at myself when I forget or I'm late with Jake's gabapenten.

Yes, Chris we too think it's a miracle drug. Jake would not be here if he wasn't on it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Three per dose? I am giving George 200 mg once a day. I wonder if he could use more. He isn't making it all night lately.

If I even reduce his dose of NSAID, he has an accident! The vet wanted me to give him his dose split morning and evening, but that doesn't work (and its OK to give it in one dose).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Susan, I would definitely discuss with your vet about putting George on the Gabapentin at least twice a day. Gabapentin is most effective when given in 3 divided doses. Twice a day dosing should really be the minimum with no longer than 12 hours between doses. 200mg 2x a day was working for Nadir's urinary issues, but he was still doing a lot of panting from pain on this dose so I upped the dose to 300mg and that really seemed to make a difference not only in his panting, but he was also more playful so I knew he was feeling better. Unfortunately the limp in his right leg which I thought was somehow related to all of this has been worsening so I've got to get him back to the vet to be looked at again.

Gabapentin for urinary issues? Can you tell me more? I come home quite frequently to a puddle from Zim. She had a big workup this past winter which revealed it was behavioral. (No big suprise) No one ever offered me gabapentin.

I had been dealing with coming home daily to puddles from Nadir for nearly a year and my vet never mentioned it either. In his and your vet's defense though the use of Gabapentin for pain related issues for canines in issues like this are fairly new. I suspected Nadir's urgent needs to void were nerve pain related and after reading on here how well it is tolerated I brought it up at one of his vet visits and he was put on it. I'm really not sure of the actual source and cause of Nadir's pain that is causing this, but I have suspected Interstitial cystitis or Painful Bladder Disorder. Interestingly I came across a study in which Gabapentin was found to be effective for reducing pain and the urge to urinate in patients with severe cases of PBD.