Hills I/d... Anything Comparable?

Guest team_tonio

Guest team_tonio

Anyone familiar with a dog food comparable to hill's I/d? Not the best ingredients, beyond expensive, but seriously ... best. Poops. EVER.

He got sick and our vet put him on hill's... and Holy Crap. Literally :lol Been mixing it with natural balance lid sweet potato and fish (his normal food) but really loving his poos now and almost no gas!

Would love to hear anyone else whose hound did well on I/d and if you found something comparable. Thanks! :)

Beth has stayed on I/D for about a year and a half now and I'm not planning to change despite the high price. It has been fabulous for her in every way. And frankly I feel much more confident in Hills' quality control standards than most other companies, few of whom manufacture their own foods.

Non-prescription Science Diet Sensitive Stomach is somewhat similar in formulation and has great reviews from people who've actually used it (i.e. on petco.com). It does have a higher fat % than I/D though so I haven't wanted to try it as we've figured out that's an issue for Beth (she went on the I/D after having a pancreatic issue).
Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Not exaclty like I/D, but we feed Rocket a food that is highly digestble. Great poops and no gas. Precise Foundation. We are in the 2nd year of feeding it with no problems. We order it from Wag.com since no one locally stocks it.

They also have a Lamb & Rice forumla for sensitive stomachs called Sensicare that has worked great for several hounds that we know of with IBD.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest team_tonio

Thanks for the recommendations! Im not a fan of switching up his food so much and he does well on it... but it was undeniable the improvement of poo... and we all know how important that is :)

Id probably stay w hills but the cost is simply outrageous. Almost double what I pay now.... and the lid is a bit pricey as it is... tempted to try the precise but not convenient that no one carries it! Going to check my local agway and we have a new tractor supply coming in so I'll see what they stock. Thanks again!

I want to add a recommendation for California Natural Grain-free Venison & Potato. The poops from all 3 have been so good I've often been tempted to take a picture of it and post it on one's of these threads :lol. I can get it locally, but have ordered through wag.com and been very satisfied with them. They have 2 day shipping that is free if your order is $50 or over. A 30 lb bag will last Nadir for 1 month and is $65. Natura has a promotion going on where you buy 10 bags and get 1 free which brings the cost per bag down to $59.

Guest team_tonio

The poops from all 3 have been so good I've often been tempted to take a picture of it and post it on one's of these threads :lol.

:lol I know the feeling... I kid you not I made my son come over and check out his poo. He was far less excited than I was haha... Thanks for the input!

Look for Purina Vet Formula. I am sure there is an equivalent to Hills I/D. You don't need a 'script, just need to find a Vet that sells the Purina. I currently have a dog in Hills L/D and I am hoping to be able to get him off of it by the end of the year.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest SoulsMom

Soul has been on the I/D for many years now. Any time I tried to switch him he'd start bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract. I even tried home cooked. So for us, nope. Nothing comparable

I can second the recommendation for Precise, either the foundation (chicken/rice) or sensicare (lamb/rice) formulas. Where I work, a 44 lb bag of Precise Foundation costs $53 + tax. The ingredients are much much better than Science Diet. In general, you don't only judge the quality of poo by its texture.. but also by how many days it takes to fully decompose. Foods with lots of preservatives will take weeks, while more natural foods will take usually take a week or less. Raw food poo can take 1-3 days.