Peeing In The House

Guest 1038839

Guest 1038839

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I have had my wonderful greyhound for 4 months now. She has been nothing but a blessing in my life, but we are having a little bit of an issue. She has been peeing in the house. At first it would only happen when I would come home from work, let her out, and then leave for an hour or two to run errands. During those hours,which was maybe once a week, I stopped giving her access to water in hopes that she would stop urinating when I was gone. It seemed to subside when I figured it was an SA problem and would give her a kong and a bone when I left. Now it has become unpredictable. Sometimes when I come home from work after 8 hours, which is the normal time that she is alone during the day, she has urinated on the carpet. Sometimes it even happens when I leave during the evening even if I have taken her out and given her a kong. I can not crate her because she has crate anxiety, and she is blocked off from the rest of the house in the living room during the rest of the day. I had also just taken her to the vet and it is not a UTI. I need help! What should I do!?

When she goes outside, do you always watch to make sure she has peed before she comes back in? Are the accidents inside large or small amounts of urine? Is she going in the same spot(s) inside? Are you cleaning the areas well with an enzymatic cleaner?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

How much time is she spending alone? How much actual exercise is she getting (and I don't mean you open the door and let her outside while you stay inside doing something else)?

It's important for her to have both physical and mental stimulation. I work too, but I make sure my dog has a Lon walk every day before work--and I also try not to leave him alone any more than I have to on week days since I feel that the 9 hours he's alone is already a lot.

Perhaps try a long walk before work? It was a game changer for George. His SA was so bad when I first got him, I considered returning him. That was five years ago, and with a bit of patience and a LOT of walking and a ridged schedule (so he wasn't confused about what to expect) and we got through it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree with GeorgeoNE. More attention, some fun training time, watching to be sure she potties when she is outside and enzyme based cleaner for the carpet. One other thing; can you gate her in a room without carpet? kitchen? It would be easier to clean up if she potties and some dogs are more willing to potty on carpet than bare floor. Good luck!

june