Advice For Upset Grey Tummy (The D Word)

Guest Leah_siewert

Guest Leah_siewert

My boy drank some bad lake water at the park the other day and he still seems under the weather. He has to go out often because he has such bad diarrhea and I feel terrible he looks miserable and I don't know what to do to help him.

The vet said no food for 24 hours so he didn't get breakfast but I was thinking about feeding him some plain white rice later.

And advice on how I can make him feel more comfortable or help pass this sooner?

He is 85 pounds 3 years old

Did your vet diagnose him with Giardia? If he got into bad water, it's likely more than just a simple upset tummy. I'm big on the white rice and raw turkey diet for stomach problems, but in this case I'd follow your vet's advice and fast him.

ETA: did your vet put him on any meds? I'd normally suggest giving him some Immodium or Kaopectate, but it might be wise to ask about Flagyl (metronidazole) if he's got it that bad.

Edited by Brindles

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I'm sorry that your pup is under the weather. If Luna gets a little bit of D, I'll give her half of an immodium in the morning, and it seems to help. I agree with Rachel though, if it's really bad, you might want something prescription strength.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I'd be worried about giardia too. Defintiely fast him & if he's still not right, head back to the vet, sooner rather than later. Best wishes for your boy.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Standing water has a lot of bacteria in it and some can really tear up and hounds belly. I'd follow the vet's advice and fast him. Make sure he's drinking enough water to keep him hydrated and if he's not better by tomorrow it might be wise to start him on metronidazole.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Leah_siewert

Update: the fasting helped and then he was on just chicken and rice for two meals and then went back to normal feedings. Thankfully we did not need to resort to medications but thank you for all the advice it's very reassuring.

Thats greyt, it was an easy fix. You were very lucky. If he gets diarrhea again, you can always try plain applesauce, pumpkin or the Immodium. Usually w/diarrhea the vets recommend to have the dog fast a day and then start on the plain meat w/sweet potato or pumpkin or I use brown rice if I need to use rice. The rice does the job to firm but there is no nutritional value in it vs the pumpkin or sweet potato.

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

Guest BeakerBoy

I actually just heard about the pumpkin suggestion recently. Since I've never used it before, I'm curious to know how much pumpkin to give Beaker the next time the big D hits him. Should I mix it with his normal food or just give him the pumpkin on its own? A normal meal for him is about three cups of dry food, so any info on how much pumpkin to give him would be great.

Guest OPointyDog

Our girl has loose stools pretty routinely, so she gets pumpkin mixed with kibble frozen in a kong every day. We don't give her a lot - about 1/4 cup pumpkin seems to keep her busy for awhile. I'm not sure if it helps or not, but she loves it! If you give them too much fiber, that can also cause issues. Make sure you get the plain pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie filling, which has spices, sugar and salt added.

Guest greysmitten

Glad he's feeling better! Whew.

I always recommend pure pumpkin to friends. it certainly cant hurt and for my girl, it never fails.

During Azi's last bout of the big D, Imodium didn't touch it. Sure enough, my trusty pure pumpkin did the trick!

I recommend keeping a can of the stuff in your pantry ... You never know when you might need it.

If you don't use it for the dog, you can always make me a pie or some pumpkin pancakes :)