Waking Up Frequently At Night

Guest clodagh

Guest clodagh

I don't get it. Clodagh, our 12 year old rescue, used to sleep so well thru the whole night. And, as a matter of fact, she would cuddle up against my husband first then switch to cuddle next to me when he (the husband) got up in the AM to sleep a little more.

Now, all of a sudden, she wakes up about 2:30am, standing on the corner of the bed, staring at the door, (nightlight is on), and panting.

Okay, we figure, maybe she needs to go out. So we get up and let her out and she roams around the yard, sometimes just lies down in the yard, sometimes "eating" the plants in the garden. Eventually she comes back in and decides to sleep on the couch. About an hour later, she wants to get up on the bed again, curls up and sleeps - for about an hour or so ! -then she repeats the above scenario. This behavior just started a couple of nights ago. (BTW, she doesn't pee each time she goes outside on these "excursions"). We've had her for about a year and a half and, except for this behavior at the beginning for a couple of weeks, she's been always sleeping all thru the night until now. Help, please...any advice or reasons why she may be doing this would be most appreciated.

At first I was thinking she was cold... but not if she is getting out of bed with you! Panting can equal pain, or she's too hot with you.

Could she be hearing something outside, and feeling the need to check-it-out?

hmmmm

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

I would guess pain or maybe some older dog dementia? When Jack my puppy started having eye pain, he would get up at night, I thought he had to pee but it turned out he was just uncomfortable. Now that his eye is fixed, he sleeps soundly through the night just as he did before. Good luck

Linda, Jack and Keeva

An adult dog should be able to easily sleep through the night without going out (barring other health concerns), so I doubt if she really has to. When she does this behavior, gently, but firmly tell her to lay down, either back in bed with you or down on the floor on a dog bed near your bed. Give her a treat once she settles.

You don't say how old she is, but it is also quite possible she is having some arthritis pain or something else is making her uncomfortable. A vet visit might be in order.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

At the age of 12 and panting, I would suspect pain of some kind. Might be worth a check at the vet to see if something is brewing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I would guess pain or maybe some older dog dementia? When Jack my puppy started having eye pain, he would get up at night, I thought he had to pee but it turned out he was just uncomfortable. Now that his eye is fixed, he sleeps soundly through the night just as he did before. Good luck

Linda, Jack and Keeva

that's what I'm thinking....sounds a bit like Rainey's demetia. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

If nothing is physically wrong, and the dog doesn't pee when let out - I'd suggest that it might be that she's just waking up, and chieckig out what's going on.

GIve her more exercise, so she's ready to sleep all night. If you're SURE there's no medical issue - I'd just call it a quirk. "I woke up - I'm bored - what's going on outside? Hey - humans - I'm awake and want to see what's outside".

If there are NO medical reasons for needing to go out to pee - up the exercise - and ignore the "ask" for out. Don't let a quirk turn into a habit.

I have an open bedroom door all the time - but for certain dogs, at certain times, I'll close that door - with them either in or out, and after a night or two - they'll remeber bedtime IS bedtime - and "asking" to go out just for the fun of it - is NOT ok. You WILL be ignored.

Edited by sobesmom

Guest clodagh

Wow! You guys are terrific! So many thanks for your input. I think I've ruled out cold/hot - one night without central heat and no blanket = sleep disturbance.

one night with central heat on and a blanket = same behavior.

Does arthritis manifest itself more so in the nighttime? During the day, she doesn't exhibit arthritis pain EXCEPT occasionally, without any apparent reason, she'll "start" or stand up quickly and walk a bit. If arthritis, what do you give her to ease the pain? She does have one bad hip or leg which she barely runs on and sometimes quivers/shakes. Is the arthritis at night more pronounced in winter vs, summer? She never had this problem until it got cold.

Perhaps it is Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. She is almost 12 years old and has some symptoms like (from pets.webmd.com)" Activity and sleep patterns are disturbed. The dog sleeps more in a 24-hour period, but sleeps less during the night" and she "The dog seeks less attention, often walks away when being petted," but I always assumed that since she raced for six years then in a sanctuary for 4 years, she never really had much people contact. She doesn't seem to be showing any other symptoms. Sorry to be going on so long about this but I'd really like to figure it out. My husband is tired of getting up every 2:30am; 4:30am; and 6:00am (she goes to be for the night at around

10:30pm). Thanks again!

Guest DeniseL

I agree that it possibly is pain, and yes, pain can be worse at night. My maya did everything you described. She was in pain from her arthritis ( and later, other things) but my vet told me that restlessness, panting is a clue to her pain level. She also told me that it can be harder for maya to 'ignore' the pain at night, less distractions, its quiet, and she is lying in one place trying to be comfortable....

Edited by DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

Also...Maya had had the shakes when her arthritis was bothering her. There are many treatments you can discuss with your vet. Maya was NOT a greyhound, I have yet to deal with a hound with arthritis, but what worked for Maya was Dasaquin/ Adaquan, accupuncture, tramadol, and deramaxx. I started her on tramadol and deramaxx when she was about 10, and she stayed on it for almost 6 years. I regret that now, even though it was very helpful. I would have tried accupunture and adaquan earlier as this was also very helpful and doesn't have the possiblity of nasty side effects like the deramaxx has. Good luck!

have her checked out by your vet, it might be the start of "doggie dimentia", Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. my welsh terrier had it, panting and pacing were part of his symptoms. days and nights were mixed up, he marked his bed everytime he nested in it, eventually was so stressed he could not settle. once we had his examined and he was clear of pinched nerves or any other physical aliment we initially tried a sedative at night(it did buphkas- we had a stoned welsh terrier pacing and crashing into things). older dogs, like older humans can be difficult to deal with,be calm and thorough.

I would suggest pain, as well. Here's the thing about arthritis......they always tell you that mild exercise is good.....keeps things moving and limber.

Then at night, when you're laying in one spot for usually more than a while, it stiffens up & aches.

I know this is true; I've got a bad shoulder that is usually fine during the day when I'm moving & working, but at night? Oy.....it usually wakes me

up at least twice with the aching.

I would think a vet visit and a prescription nsaid would be in order.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest clodagh

Can/should I give her aspirin for the pain? My Vet isn't open on Saturdays and it'll be Tuesday before I can get over there. What about Glucosamine? How much? Anything else over the counter?

Guest clodagh

Good news, Everybody! Clodagh actually slept all through the night last night!!! Hooray! I gave her 1000mg of glucosamine - wonder if that did the trick? Let's see if it continues tonight- hope, hope, hope!

Hello Friends,

We're two for two!!! Thru the night again last night. Could it be the glucosamine??? Whatever....let's hope it continues!!

I'm glad you're seeing improvement. Before we got James, we bought a bottle of glucosamine to feed to him, but with his stomach issues we never started him on it. His stomach has seemed to settle down, so we're considering incoporating it into his diet. Did you notice any adverse effects (in the poop arena) to adding the glucosamine?