Earthquake - Excessive Peeing?

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

This may sound strange, but I thought I'd ask!! I was beginning to worry that Doolin was getting sick. He wasn't settling down and he wouldn't stop crying/whining, just very very distressed (I've never seen him like that ever, he is sooo easy going!). I had to take him out 3 times within an hour and he peed A LOT each time. Then he had an accident, and this dog has never had an accident in the 2 years I've had him. Right before this started, we had an earthquake. It was the first one I've ever felt (I live in Boston) so I had no idea what was going on until afterwards. Could Doolin's huge amounts of peeing be caused by the earthquake? He has finally settled down and sleeping.

I'll frequently take him out though, just in case :) It was just so scary seeing Doolin like that, he is my bomb proof dog so I thought something was seriously wrong! Freaked me out! It's funny though, Minerva is my big baby and she had no reaction ;)

Guest DragonflyDM

Interesting you have mentioned that. The past week, Boomer has been restless all night every night and I have taken him out today a dozen times this evening for marathon pee sessions. He will do one in a day…but not one every hour. Sometimes it is those trickle pees and sometimes it is a flood. I wonder if there are doggie kidney stones.

I've seen articles indicating that animals of all kinds can often feel tremors long before there's an actual earthquake. There's a good chance he was feeling the tremors or tuned in with what was about to happen. I definitely wouldn't rule it out that the earthquake caused him to be like that.

Hope that's all it was and that he's ok from this point on.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest OurIndy

Does he usually hold his pee for a very long time? Meaning, is his bladder usually super full when he relieves himself? If so the stress could definitely have caused the strange behavior which was manifest as a result of having a full bladder, but other wise I'd be suspicious of something else. Distress wouldn't be able to actually generate the large volume of urine, but it sure could make him change his normal behavior!

I'd just keep an eye on how much he's drinking and peeing for the next couple of days and, if it seems different than normal, you'll know you can't chalk it up to the earthquake. Which was pretty cool by the way :)

Hope Mr. Doolin has settled down!

Hmmm. I live in the same area and felt nothing. Nor did I see any news reports that I should have...

In any case, I did use to live in Southern California. We had four dogs and two horses, and they were normally pretty unphased by earthquakes. Also, if anyone is wondering, horses do NOT rear up and whiney when they see a snake except in the movies!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SoulsMom

ZoeDQ was acting weird right before it happened. Normally she is my 'normal greyhound' in the evenings and crashes out. But last night about a half hour before it happened she was sleeping soundly and then all of a sudden woke up screaming. Scared the crap out of us. Then she was velcro girl, which is unusual for her at night. Kept trying to let her out, but she would just woof at the air. We couldn't figure it out. Then the earthquake happened. She settled down and crashed out about fifteen minutes later

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest zombrie

Hmmm. I live in the same area and felt nothing. Nor did I see any news reports that I should have...

http://www.boston.co...NIUP/story.html

It was so small, I did not even know what it was until afterwards, I thought someone was using machinery around my apartment that made my room rattle for a couple seconds.

Anyways, Doolin is 100% normal now and I'm relieved his weirdness was just a result of the little earthquake. I knew his distress was from it, it was just strange the large amount of urine was coming out of him and he has never done anything like that before. I wasn't home too long before the quake happened, so maybe he felt it before hand and in nervousness was drinking a lot of water? I don't know. I'm just glad he is normal now :)

I called my mom to tell her what was up with Doolin, and apparently Mira did the EXACT thing. She was let out a couple times because she kept going to the door and she had an accident inside. Very strange they reacted the same.

Edited by zombrie

Guest itsagreytlife

Had a similar experience with Selah last fall/winter. She is mybombproof dogbas well, fyi. Was walking her after a rainy morning in neighborhood & suddenly we heard a far off hunting gun go off--not the 1st time she heard one--& she skittered & slipped on a back leg. Not much later she was lying quietly on her bed when I noticed it was wet. Sure nuff, she had "an accident" but was really just leaking. Called vet & ended up putting on a little diaper. She. Was fine later that eve. Trauma 4 sure.