New Trooper Update

Guest kellybrown

Guest kellybrown

Scott and my daughter went to visit yesterday. They said he was so out of it that they don't think he knew they were there. I was working and couldn't go. But the surgeon called a few minutes ago and said there has been major improvement in Trooper since yesterday. He said last night and this morning Trooper was able to go outside without the assistance of a sling. So he seems to be getting his balance. He said if he continues to improve he will get to come home Monday or Tuesday. The vet tech told my daughter that some dogs get so stressed they won't eat and get diarrhea, but Trooper has just been

chillin out. That's my boy! I've been in contact with Ohio State. They are going to send his chemo here to his doctors. How awesome is that? I would have never known about Ohio State if it weren't for Greytalk My daughter took a picture for me. He has tons of bruising, which I knew was coming thanks to all the great info here on Greytalk. He is blood red all over his stomach and legs. But the surgeon feels this is slowing down. So for now, sounds like he is on the way to recovery. Scott's uncle who is 53 has the exact same thing in the exact same place. He thought he had sprained his knee. The pain was so bad they did an MRI and found osteosarcoma, which is apparently rare in adults, it usually strikes kids. It totally destroyed his knee. They said they had never seen anything like this. He has to have 12 rounds of chemo. Every round is a 96 hour drip, so he has to spend 4 days in the hospital for each round. Then he usually gets so sick that he winds up back in the hospital. So he has had 4 rounds and then yesterday they did his knee replacement. They had to remove 6 inches of his femur. His surgery was very long yesterday. He is at Wake Forest. But his scans are all clear so hopefully it has been caught in time. Osteosarcoma is very serious in people and pets. Maybe one day that can cure this. Thanks again for all the good thoughts. I hope we will have many more years together.

Edited by kellybrown

I was sure a replied earlier, but it isn't here! I'm so glad to hear how well Trooper is recovering! I'm sure you can't wait to get him home.

What an irony to have Scott's uncle diagnosed with the same thing, I too, have heard this is extremely rare in adult humans. My thoughts go out to him and his family as well.

One thing to note is that the approach to iv chemo is very different in humans and dogs. The treatments are not nearly as difficult on dogs as they are in humans. This is largely because the dosages are proportionately much smaller in dogs, and do not produce the same level of side effects. Certainly some side effects may be seen, but they typically do not significantly diminish quality of life. Any negative side effects seem to be cumulative, so treatment may be cut short if it appears that it is having too much impact on quality of life.

Looking forward to more good updates!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties