Have You Had Success With Homeopathic Remedies?

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

We will be starting our dog Tatam on Arsenicum Album tonight at his bedtime. This my first experience with a homeopathic remedy. Has anyone used arsenicum album before?

He's been prescribed this by our vet who is also certified in veterinary homeopathy.

We are really hoping that this will address his restlessness at night. We've been getting up with him night after night and it's really getting frustrating not knowing what's causing this. He's gotten better from when I first posted about his condition: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/290706-reluctance-to-lie-down/ but he's still got a ways to go -- particularly at night! :(

You'll get a lot of mixed opinions on homeopathic treatments. All I can say is I've tried various of those tiny little pill balls for this and that and never particularly noticed anything. I prefer veterinary drugs. That being said, I will swear by colloidal silver! -- Summer was developing a UTI and I fed her a teaspoon every hour for a day and it was GONE. I also like to spray it on wounds. Currently, I suspect she has an irritated eye and I'm applying it with an eyedropper before I decide if a vet trip is necessary. I am fully expecting the eye to be fine very soon!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I've not used arsenicum album, but have used several other homeopathic remedies for both my dogs and myself with good success. I particulary like Traumeel, a homeopathic analgesic, anti-inflammatory. It's worked well for me and for my dogs. And I've been really impressed with a combination by Newton Homeopathics simply called Detoxifier. My galgo was diagnosed with renal failure in June. The Detoxifier has really helped him. He doesn't need fluids nearly as often right now. Finding the right homeopathic remedy sometimes takes a couple of tries. I really like the idea of helping the body heal itself as it was designed to do. I hope this remedy works for him. If it doesn't, there might be another that will.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

In theory I think it's great, but I've tried multiple things myself and seen no results. I've also seen people who believe in. it use it on their dogs and the results were horrific. They were extremists though. I have never heard of what you are trying. My feeling is was long as it doesn't hurt the dog, it's worth a try.

Never had anything homeopathic work on my pets or myself for a medical issue. There are skin care remedies and such that seem to work, like tea tree oil to soothe skin, oatmeal to cut itching, but I just don't find that the "natural" remedies work well, and in fact giving some herbs to my dog to help him through his SA caused his liver enzymes to spike!

I'll stick with better living through chemistry for both of us!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think the key here is to use a holistic vet. I ended up going to a holistic vet for Kiaba's allergies that came out in his mouth. With Chinese herbs and a diet change his mouth cleared up within six months. Even Dr. C was impressed.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest happygrey

I think the key here is to use a holistic vet. I ended up going to a holistic vet for Kiaba's allergies that came out in his mouth. With Chinese herbs and a diet change his mouth cleared up within six months. Even Dr. C was impressed.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. We are using a holistic vet. She's using everything at her disposal to try and help us resolve what's going on with him. He's also been started on a new probiotic -- Proviable DC.

His bloodwork is all great and he had a full abdominal u/s that showed no abnormalities. (Good news! But we still haven't a clue.) Stool & urine samples were completely clear.

Last night he did get up, pretty much right away after lights out, but we left the babygate down in our room -- so he left the room and came downstairs to sleep by himself. That's fine with us if that's what he wants! It's a huge improvement than him standing at our bedside for hours -- tiptoeing around in the hopes that we'd get up (we have wood floors so we can hear him clicking). We were finally able to get a good night's sleep. :)

They have worked remarkably well for me. I have been prescribed arsenicum album 2 or 3 times for my animals. Once for a racehorse that had sore shins and once for one of the hounds but I don't recall what for. Slim might have been prescribed that for his broke leg too if I remember correctly. I know it was not for queiting them down though. Actually from what you described I would be inclined to try BACH flower essence therapy first. But at any rate the answer to your qustion is yes. I have used them on my animals and myself- in fact I regularly use important ones like arnica and Traumeel for them when they need it- and know beyond the shadow of a doubt that they are effective because the improvement in whatever conditions you are treating is unmistakeable-you can SEE it.. I found out when I had a terrible tooth abscess also that a study had actually been done showing that Traumeel was very effective for dental pain. I don't like chemicals/drugs except as a super last resort due to the side effects so I tried the Traumeel instead of taking anything else and I found out the study was right- it really stopped the pain. Like one of the other posters said though it has to be the right remedy. If the remedy doesn't match the condition then nothing will happen good or bad-which is another advantage to homeopathy IMO because it generally does no harm if the wrong one is used. It is not uncommon to perhaps have to try more than one to hit on the right one but my holistic vet is so experienced she pretty much knows which one is the right one right at the start. Hugs to Tatum. (PS- I am a chemist. That is why I so strongly resist putting chemical pharmaceuticals in the body.)

Edited by racindog

Never had anything homeopathic work on my pets or myself for a medical issue. There are skin care remedies and such that seem to work, like tea tree oil to soothe skin, oatmeal to cut itching, but I just don't find that the "natural" remedies work well, and in fact giving some herbs to my dog to help him through his SA caused his liver enzymes to spike!

^ This. And there is a reason for it. The "science" behind homeopathy is quack science. Some herbs can be beneficial, but it very much depends which ones, what they are used for, and what they are used in conjunction with, as they can be fatal (> St John's Wort) when taken by people with certain conditions or people taking other remedies . A common misconception about homeopathy and herbs and the like is that people should try it because, even if it doesn't work, "it can't do any harm". WRONG. There have been cases of people dying from using Chinese herbs. And homeopathy, while it won't actually harm directly, being nothing but the equivalent of a sugar pill, can harm indirectly because often people who resort to homeopathy are doing so as an alternative to proper medicine, and this could endanger the patient as he/she is not receiving any actual treatment. Of course, what often happens is that proper treatment is rejected, homeopathy is tried and then when the condition subsides homeopathy gets the credit for it, even though it most likely had nothing to do with the improvement in health - it was just a case of regression to the mean (i.e. the patient was going to get better with time anyway).

Homeopathy is based on anti-scientific and magical notions based on the idea that water allegedly retains the "memory" of an ingredient that was then diluted in water thousands of times - so many times, in fact, that the presence of that ingredient in the little bottle of Bach flower essences that you buy is a big fat ZERO. In sort, you are literally just buying scented water. And a little alcohol. That's it. Since there is no active ingredient that can cure anything, it acts like a placebo - a sugar pill.

ETA - this is from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenicum_album)

Several studies have been done into Arsenicum album, however, homeopathic studies are known to have problems, such as evidence of bias, lack of rigour, and failure to blind the experimenters or subjects to which group is being analysed that prevent them from being considered definitive evidence for any effect.[7][8][13] In addition, the ideas behind homeopathy are scientifically implausible and directly opposed to fundamental principles of natural science and modern medicine, which means that poorly-conducted, small, or unblinded studies are not considered scientific proof of efficacy.[4][10][11]

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Homeopathy IS based on science. It is energy. Everything is energy. We see what we want to see sometimes. I see where the medical profession kills 8 times more people every year from "medical misadventures" as they call them than die in auto crashes in the US . It is easy to find "justification" for any opinion with all the info out there but that doesn't mean it is correct. To me it just boils down to respecting other peoples opinion. Live and let live. Kumbaya lol :flip

Homeopathy IS based on science. It is energy. Everything is energy. We see what we want to see sometimes. I see where the medical profession kills 8 times more people every year from "medical misadventures" as they call them than die in auto crashes in the US . It is easy to find "justification" for any opinion with all the info out there but that doesn't mean it is correct. To me it just boils down to respecting other peoples opinion. Live and let live. Kumbaya lol :flip

I'm totally with you!! Remember, someone on this board gave her dog Rimadyl and the dog died from an adverse reaction. We should respect each others opinion. Homeopathy has worked wonders on our dogs. You need to find a good vet who specializes in homeopathy.

Yes, we have had success with some homeopathics much to my surprise & incredulity. It falls into a category of vet med we've nicknamed voodoo. Each time it worked I told my self that spontaneous improvements could have happened even without the treatment. A couple times though we had enough control & enough repetitions that it became... um... somewhat more credible.Traumeel is an example of a homeopathic that seems to have very real value. http://www.traumeel.us/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?id=1304585&bc=TRAUMEEL%20TABLETS%20100CT%20RETAIL

I still hold out a lot of doubt about homeopathics but am willing to drop $5-$20 to give a homeopathic treatment a try as long as a delay in other treatment options will not result in imminent death or suffering. If it doesn't work I can always call my vet & have something else prescribed.

-----

MerlinsMum, your point that these "natural" treatments can be dangerous is quite valid. It is important though to recognize the vast difference between homeopathy, traditional Chinese medicine, Western herbal medicine & Western pharmaceutical based medicine. As you state, just because something is labeled as natural, holistic or homeopathic doesn't mean it is safe to try. Also, in the course of trying one treatment you could be delaying treatment without something else that could be more effective or safer overall. Remember though that Western pharmaceuticals can be quite dangerous & caution is always to be advised. Aspirin can & does kill. It is also based on an herb.

As with any type of vet medicine you need someone with adequate knowledge of both the patient & the treatment. And of course you need the medicine to be produced safely, properly & with quality ingredients, be it Eastern, Western, pharmaceutical, herbal or homeopathic. Even then some patients may have adverse reactions. Every years many people die from complications of taking Western pharmaceutical prescriptions. Others can suffer greatly without dying. Sometimes it is a quirk of the patient's physiology. Sometimes it is related to improper prescribing, dosing or administration. Sometimes it is related to production of the drug. Here is a current example: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57530886/steroid-injections-tied-to-meningitis-outbreak-may-cause-joint-infection/

To me it just boils down to respecting other peoples opinion. Live and let live. Kumbaya lol :flip

:nod

Edited by kudzu

I'm a vet who practices conventional Western medicine, and I'm also mostly a very analytical and scientific person. However, I believe that science doesn't have all the answers, and there is a lot out there that we don't understand. Just because certain things (such as homeopathy, energy/Chi, animal communication, etc) can't be explained scientifically, doesn't necessarily mean that they are not valid.

There are things that we take for granted as part of conventional medicine can't be explained scientifically either. For example, despite the long history and widespread use of gas anesthetic agents, the mechanism behind how they work is still unknown and not fully explained by science.

IMO, it doesn't hurt to keep an open mind as long as we consider all available options and don't lose sight of the big picture. I feel that there are many chronic problems and diseases that are not adequately addressed by conventional Western medicine, and incorporating holistic alternatives can often help.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

There are things we can't explain, but homeopathy isn't one of them. It's a money-grubbing scam, plain and simple.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I used.homeopathis remedies with FedX. Hehad seizures and one of the biggest triggers was anxiety. We used a few remedies over the years prescribed through my vet and I saws difference within 24 hours. You definatly have to work with an experienced vet though, we did try a couple remedies that either didn't work or had an opposite effect before finding the right one.

When FedX had osteo he had a bout of vasculitis, he couldn't take the usual prednisone as he reacted badly to it once. We tried another remedy and it cleared up within 48 hours.

I use chemical, natural(herbs ext), and homeopathic solutions for my pets andhave seen excellent results with each and not so goodresults with each. I always figure it is worth a try because it may just work!

I'm a vet who practices conventional Western medicine, and I'm also mostly a very analytical and scientific person. However, I believe that science doesn't have all the answers, and there is a lot out there that we don't understand. Just because certain things (such as homeopathy, energy/Chi, animal communication, etc) can't be explained scientifically, doesn't necessarily mean that they are not valid.

There are things that we take for granted as part of conventional medicine can't be explained scientifically either. For example, despite the long history and widespread use of gas anesthetic agents, the mechanism behind how they work is still unknown and not fully explained by science.

IMO, it doesn't hurt to keep an open mind as long as we consider all available options and don't lose sight of the big picture. I feel that there are many chronic problems and diseases that are not adequately addressed by conventional Western medicine, and incorporating holistic alternatives can often help.

Perfectly stated!! Thank you

I've had a lot of positive experiences with holistic treatment with my two, myself and my s/o. We haven't used the one the asked about, but it is in my holistic emergency kit.

I wholeheartedly agree with Nichole. My beloved Sheila lived to be 15, she lived 5 years of a quality life after losing her sight to SARDS. My vet put her on supportive homeopathic supplements right after the diagnosis and I truly believe that is why she lived so long. Most dogs with a SARDS diagnosis don't live more than a year or so afterward.

She also had Carl on Thuja for some real ugly skin bumps came up on his legs and snout. We'd tried him on other things, but none of them worked. Once on Thuja his bumps began to reduce in size within 2 weeks and were completely gone within 6 weeks. His corneal rings began to disappear after we put him on Soloxine, but they were still present in both eyes. After she had me start giving him Niacinimide daily the ring in his left eye completely disappeared, the one in his right eye is still visible, but per his ophthalmologist, it has reduced significantly.

Both of my two are on supplements, per my holistic vet, and their bloodwork has never been better, truly. This year their bloodwork was absolutely perfect. I trust her implicitly.

My s/o's cholesterol was through the roof, he did not want to treat it with Western medicine. He consulted with a nutritionist who believes in supplements and he reduced it through the use of supplements - and diet, initially. I can tell you first hand that he is not working on it through his diet 4 years later, but he is still taking the supplements and his most recent blood work was great!

I understand there are others who don't believe in homeopathic treatment, I respect that that is your opinion and your experience. My experience is completely the opposite and I hope that you will be respectful of my belief and concrete experience as well.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I try to use both approaches...if something more "natural" will work I will try it first. If not, I go to conventional. I think a balance between the two works best for me, and I have found some things to work, some not. I had huge success using devil's claw/joint formula for my old dog. I also love colloidal silver, that stuff has worked so many times on infections for me. My old dog's chronic pancreatis/IBD was also "cured" after just a few days of feeding a natural diet/enzyme mixture. I am also a skeptic though, any product claiming to cure any and every illness (as many natural products do) I am leary of. I have had friends who have taken their dogs the natural route after traditional medicine had no answers...some had great success, so it is always worth a shot.

Homeopathy is based on the principle of like cures like. The idea is that minute amounts of something that will cause the symptoms can also trigger the body's own healing response. I was a doubter. When western medicine couldn't help me I tried it, under the care of an N.D. Not a doubter anymore. And my life and health are better for it.

finalsiggy.jpg

My hounds are much healthier due to homeopathy, it's a mainstay in this household, and our first line of defense for health issues.

Here's a website that has more information.

Extraordinary Medicine

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest happygrey

Well, we are on night 3 (I think) of using the arsenicum album. I'm happy to report that we have seen a positive change in his ability to finally settle and sleep. And let us sleep in the process!

That said, it's impossible to isolate his change to just the arsenicum album since we've also started him on the probiotics and changed our routine at night by leaving our bedroom ungated. Something or everything is definitely having a positive effect on him and for that we are grateful. It was really hard to see him the way that he was. He's almost 100% back to his "old self."

Before this thread got buried too far I wanted to thank you for your very thoughtful and open minded approach to this and other forms of treatment. Your clientele and patients are very lucky to have someone like you.

I'm glad to hear that all the changes are working, who knows all three can have a part in it...just keep doing it. You are all happier now!!!

I believe in homeopathy remedies assisting conventional medicine. I do it for me and for my dogs. As the vet says we can't give the answer to why some things work, and thats hard for the scientific minded/trained people. I am in the health field and I also do eastern med practices with my western med researched methods and my patients are amazed at the results...its a combination of things and an open mind is the best medicine to see if it may work...

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.