The "i'm Starving" Act

Guest driser

Guest team_tonio

Ayyyep! That's my Antonio... aka Starvin Marvin. He'll scarf his dinner then follow me around for the next hour or so leaping like a kangaroo at anything I have in my hand. Is it food? Is it food? :lol

Merlin doesn't give a crap, but Sagan starts giving me his desperate look aroind 40 minutes before dinner. He paces and then lies down right at the entrance to the kitchen, looking forlorn and pathetic. :rolleyes:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Eli will watch me intently for an hour and a half before mealtimes and leap up whenever I twitch. Well, that's only if he isn't grazing the floors - if he thinks I'm just not feeding him, he wanders around the room looking for anything he could possibly ingest like leaves, crumbs, fluff... Haha

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

My current foster dog, a 9 yo bounce who was also my first foster Grey years ago, is the champion of "I'm starving!" Last week he stole an entire 2lb pack of boneless, chicken thighs. He ate the entire thing in record time & was working on the styrofoam tray when I caught him. That was around 5:45 PM. Promptly at 6:00 PM, which was apparently dinner time in his prior home, he was up in my face barking for his dinner, "Hurry, hurry!! I'm starving!" As usual all the other dogs gathered around to support his cause, "Hurry, hurry!! We're all starving!" Oy vey.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Mine complains about lack of food regularly. She tells people I starve her, and shows them her ribs to get pity.

Hehe. Mine checks her dish every time she comes in from a turnout, there just might be something there!

all of our dogs have been total food hounds. ALWAYS hungry. I swear they'd eat an entire 35 # bag of kibble given the opportunity.

Larry now goes and lies by the door to the garage around 5pm waiting for Bruce to get home (Bruce home = dinner time) -- and he gets home around 6pm.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest zombrie

Minerva was nuts when it came to feeding, even barked at me while I was getting it ready. She was quite obnoxious, really! I never fed into it and gave her a sharp "ah ah!" When she barked at me. She is now a lot more patient and calm. Doolin could care less, he is not at all a food hound! Sometimes I have to call him over to come eat.

Eli will watch me intently for an hour and a half before mealtimes and leap up whenever I twitch.

Willow does this too, but we don't really have a set mealtime. I feed them dinner anytime within a roughly 2-hour window, depending on when I get home from work, and what I'm doing at the time. So she usually only does this if we're getting closer to the end of the mealtime window, and I'll feed within 15 min or so of her starting to stare at me. If I make prolonged eye contact with her but don't move, she'll bounce over and bark at me from a few feet away.

Yes, because he's a normal dog and that's what they do!

:nod I often tell people that behavior like this doesn't necessary mean a dog is starving. Most dogs just love their food and would be happy to eat at any time.

I also find that how you respond to begging behavior will affect whether it progresses and continues. If a dog gets attention and/or snacks for the "I'm starving" act, the behavior will be reinforced. Other than Willow's behavior described above, my dogs rarely beg from me, either for their own food and treats, or for my food when I'm eating.

Strangers are a whole nother story. They are all very cute and expert beggars that most other people can't seem to resist. So they get rewarded a lot for begging. When I take my little boys (Ollie and Corey) out with me to seminars at Beach Bound Hounds, they almost always score snacks from the people sitting near us. And Willow has suckered a stranger at a lure coursing trial out of entire sausage patty, even as she kept saying that she had so save some for her own dog. :lol

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

We too, don't have a set mealtime but I try and keep within and hour or so because of Poodle's insulin.

If "breakfast" time comes and I am asleep Buddy is the one that starts to complain. He's like an alarm clock that gets louder if I don't get up. He snuffles and stretches, nudges the bed then whines very low. If I don't get up he whines louder and LOUDER until he resorts to barking. After they are fed he doesn't bother me again.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Jacks_Human

When Jack was rescued, he really was starving, and was still significantly underweight when I got him, so he's pretty obsessed with food. He's also perfected the 'I'm a sad starving hound' face, even now that's he's a healthy weight, and once I had to stop a woman from feeding my 'poor skinny dog' an entire package of Walker's shortbread.

Magic can get pretty demanding around meal time. Mornings he's not too bad but on some mornings he will bark at me when I come downstairs and not stop until I pick up his bowl. Evenings he gets really silly - jumping, play bowing, barking, spinning. He even knows the word "supper".

He goes out generally 3 times within about 45 minutes or so after supper and wants a cookie every time he comes in.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I must be one of the only ones whose dog doesn't seem to care that much about food! Most of the time he will eat fine, but he rarely gets excited to eat. And sometimes he just doesn't care to and would rather sleep. Same with treats (all kinds)... Doesn't much care about them unless he is bored.

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir