Do You Feed Your Dog Breakfast?

kronckew

before I had a greyhound I gave my dogs one meal a day, was told greys need two meals a day so both dogs get fed twice a day now. (had to change other dog from one large meal to two small meals). Anyway Bobby has suddenly decided he no longer likes the kibble I have been giving him, not a cheap one either. So I had to get a small bag of another type of food to mix in with it go get him to eat it. Also he wont eat just kibble it has to have something added to it, sardines or left overs from human dinner the night before, weatbix or maybe an egg mixed with milk plus some water. The grey is a fussy eater like all the cats we have ever owned, none of the other dogs have every been fussy. Just as well we love him :hehe :hehe

Good to know that I can increase their stuffie searching potential. ;) Don't know if you call it breakfast but we sleep odd hours here from all my years of bartending. I generally get up around noon or 1 and they eat then as well as around midnight so Poodle can have his insulin shots.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Buddy wakes me up around 6 every morning for his milkbone (that's why I'm up now). He is like an alarm that increases in volume. He'll wine softly and if I don't repsond whine louder, the louder and finally bark to tell me to get him his dang milkbone.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Most dogs in the US are fed twice a day. Back when my Dad was a kid (he's 83) most dogs were fed once a day.

I sure wouldn't want to be fed once a day. It takes me less than 5 minutes to feed the dog. Not sure why I'd even consider only doing it once.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We also feed twice a day, breakfast and dinner. I've always fed my dogs twice a day and wouldn't ever consider just once a day. I can't imagine consuming just one meal and being hungry later and no more meals are forthcoming.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We feed twice plus an after dinner snack..sometimes I do share my breakfast cereal wth her. She likes captain crunch...lol

Edited by rschultz

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

Guest Celestrina

Twice a day plus some evening snacks. If Angie goes too long between meals because gets so hungry she feels sick and won't eat. There were a few times I had to force feed her for this reason. Then she realized she was hungry and finished her meal on her own.

I'd better or they would be crushed. They lubs thier breaky- it is the meal with the yogurt and other goodies. And on the weekends it is a big country breakfast: 4 eggs( fired on Sat & scrambled on Sun), toast, sausage or chopped steak etc., maybe some grits or other goody thrown in. Often times there is a bully stick for dessert afterwards. Mine LUBS breaky.

Guest starbuck

We feed three times a day: breakfast, dinner, and a before bed snack. We were finding that if Starbuck didn't have anything in her stomach overnight, she'd start throwing up bile in the morning. By giving her half her dinner portion just before bed, she can make it through the night without getting ill. One time a day would not work well with her.

Guest Giselle

Hmmm. Just read the journal article (Behavioral Processes), and I have several thoughts...

First, if the conclusion is that glucose enhances performance, then they should have added a condition where the dog performed a working memory task after having been fed pure fat v.s. pure glucose v.s. a pure placebo food (if this is possible...). I think, imo, this is where one of the weaknesses of this study lies. There was no control for the food condition.

Second, if it's blood glucose that is the explanatory variable here, then why didn't they measure blood glucose? That would have bolstered their argument for the different responses between 30 min v.s. 90 mins.

Third, I don't think the visible displacement task is a strong indicator of performance. If you look at the set-up, not all of those cups are equivalent in terms of odorant and spatial cues. I also don't agree that it does enough to distinguish between motivation and optimal performance.

Better follow-up experiments will hopefully pare down the details, but I think a better set-up, anosmic animals, better controlled experimental conditions, and quantitative physiologic measures are needed. It's definitely very interesting, but not convincing. As for the initial questions, yes, I feed my dogs two meals a day anyways ;)

We feed three times a day: breakfast, dinner, and a before bed snack. We were finding that if Starbuck didn't have anything in her stomach overnight, she'd start throwing up bile in the morning. By giving her half her dinner portion just before bed, she can make it through the night without getting ill. One time a day would not work well with her.

I'd have to look for the article, but there is some research a few years ago that showed that some dogs will have reflux unless they have a late night snack to tide them over to morning. This was really about the effects of fasting a dog before surgery (reflux can result in aspiration and esophagus irritation). The results showed it was beneficial to give the dog a very light snack 6h before surgery, however, the sample was small, so would need to be corroborated by a larger study before following the protocol, and I haven't pursued it.

We do the same for our hounds. :)

Exactly the same for Peggy who get's 1/3rd of her food in the morning. I have noticed that boring kibble on its own will get left until she comes back in from her morning walk, but if we put table scraps or her favourite turkey mince (whenever the supermarket has it nearly out of date), then she will eat it all up as soon as she sees it.

Maybe now we know the other reason by the Police specialize in dawn raids on junk-food eaters. ;-)

Guest SealDogMermaid

Yes, Walter gets breakfast and dinner and sometimes an afterschool snack of yogurt or pumpkin.

Just curious what brand of yogurt you feed? I am thinking of adding a bit of it to my 2's dinner (yes they eat breakfast too hehe) because i hear it is an excellent probiotic (instead of buying over-the-counter supplements) and that it curbs gas! I was thinking of going with a plain unflavored greek yogurt - is that the right direction?

Twice a day here too plus a snack midday and at bedtime. I think one meal is just too much for their tummies to have all the days food needs in one go and also feeding twice plus snacks gives my oldies more times in the day to look forward to and enjoy.

Sue from England

I feed morning and late afternoon meals (1.5 cups each) with dog treats in between. Annie B gets very little people food mostly because I don't want her begging from me or anybody else.

Edited by Feisty49

yes...in fact, they get breakfast, lunch AND dinner. We used to just feed 2 meals per day (breakfast and dinner) but after Nube bloated, the vet suggested we should break the 2 into 3 smaller meals. Used to be 5:30am, 1pm and 6pm and now it's about 7am (Nube had an alarm clock in him, I swear -- Larry lets us sleep in now!), 12:30pm and about 7:15pm (due to our 6:15pm walkie with Daddy).

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Yes, Walter gets breakfast and dinner and sometimes an afterschool snack of yogurt or pumpkin.

Just curious what brand of yogurt you feed? I am thinking of adding a bit of it to my 2's dinner (yes they eat breakfast too hehe) because i hear it is an excellent probiotic (instead of buying over-the-counter supplements) and that it curbs gas! I was thinking of going with a plain unflavored greek yogurt - is that the right direction?

I used to use Trader Joe's yogurt--full fat to encourage weight gain. I would think any human kind would be decent, just check to make sure there are no artificial sweeteners.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne gets two meals, both called "supper" in our house. We never call our own meals supper, so we can freely talk about preparing our own food without getting the dog hyped up. In addition she gets a cookie whenever she's crated, which is usually 2 times a day (when we leave for work and at bedtime).