Paw Pads Cut

A muzzle with a poop cup will stop any bandage removal or licking.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

1 week update

the wound seems to healed nicely.. slowly..

but I just notice that wraping the paw made an other problem.. friction made a open small hole beetween 2 toes :(

I tried to put a cotton beetween with a little polysporin..

should I leave the paw unbandage more?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Personally I would leave it unbandaged indoors. Would likely use a boot or layer baby/toddler socks w/ plastic wrapper to keep it clean & dry outdoors. If the outdoor covering doesn't work or is impossible then you can just leave it alone outdoors but be sure to soak or at least rinse the foot once back inside. My dogs always lick antibiotic ointment off if the foot is left uncovered. Have come to a compromise with them. As long as they do not lick obsessively I will leave it uncovered & spend "quality time" with them for 15 mins or so after applying the ointment. It won't be the protective barrier I want for long term but at least it gets a chance to absorb a bit before the hazmat team attempts clean up. :)

thanks ;)

this evening is the last antibiotic pill.. hopping everything goes well after..

I'll take a pic tonight to show the evolution of the healing..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

You should be able to leave it uncovered by now. If it's wet outside, I might cover, might not, depending on how it's doing. Definitely try and keep it clean and keep soaking it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

this week I soak Otis paw n warm water with epsom salt (not easy to keep a hound still with a paw int a bowl of water!!! :lol: )

the wound is not completely closed but it's guetting there.. slowly... but its still bleeds a little during potty walks.. well not a big thing.. spoting ( ladies will understand :lol: )

when Otis is inside I put only a baby sock on his paw.. :)

keeping putting polysporin on it...

I'll try to take a pic this week-end..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

It sounds about right for the timing. Be patient. Pad wounds can take a while to heal due to the fact they have to keep walking on it. NO RUNNING though!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest borzoix4

How I do paw cuts is get a mason jar, and put in warm water- then add enough beta iodine to look like strong tea. Then after going outside when coming in, get a old towel, and put the paw in the jar, and 'swish' the beta iodine water around the paw. Pat the paw dry remembering the iodine mixture stains ( ie old towel).

Do not wrap the paw it needs air, but contain so as not to reopen the wound. After about an hour of using the iodine, add a bit of regular ( not the pain relief) of neosporan. I keep my dogs from licking it for about 20 minutes as not put on so heavy.

Only time I wrap the paw is when going outside. I use a gauze pad with a vet wrap.

good skin growth around the edges. there will be a flap of dead old pad, do not cut it. your dog will trim it, time to let the air dry it out. the epsom's salts dry things nicely. also the french gray seasalt that you can purchase in a gourmet shop or health food store really promotes healing. this is usually the point where a dog wants to chew away- amends or gold bond foot power relieves the itch. i don't know if they still make BFI foot powder, that stuff works wonders on healing stitches and wounds. i would stay away from a petrolium based antibiotic, he had oral antibiotics, the petrolium retards the healing.

is polysporin petrolium based? :unsure

yup, a vasoline base suspends the meds, vasoline- oil based, the miracle of the oil boom! i did a lot of research for a slide show years ago and was shocked to learn about all the pet. based products that evolved out of "oil"- liquid gold!

sounds wierd but give the medicated powder a try- you will be suprized at how it speeds up the healing.

talk to the vet on the phone (I emailed her the evolution pics).

She said to continue to keep it clean, restrict activity to a minimum.

and since it's not close completly she prescribs an other 10days of antibiotics.

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

I think it looks good, Josie! Pads take forever! If he's doing OK on the antibiotics, you probably should continue them.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Poor sweetie. I had a cocker spaniel badly cut his paw on broken glass (it washed up through the dirt after a hard rain) and we opted for the stitches. He had almost completely cut the main pad off the bottom of his paw, and cut the side of a toe pad similar to this. The stitches held just fine and it was all healed up within about a week! Healing by secondary intention like this takes much longer, but hopefully it will heal up soon!

That look really good Josie! I'd probably still be carefull with full out running, but he's gonna be just fine! ;)

one of the things i just learned is that any type of fungus will hamper the healing of a wound. saw my vet re: annie's limp and he took a look at her split webbing which reopened . well, 3 days of spraying it w/ athletic's foot spray- and healing improved, it's fine. keep that info filed if it seems to open up. we have the generic tolenf...whatever spray- you will recognize it. spray well once a day.

thnaks for the info cleptogrey

Otis is still on antibiotics.. I'll wait after it's finish if the wound looks weird.. ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Though I am sure it feels like this is taking forever, it does look good with steady progression of healing. You've an active hound so even your best efforts have probably not entirely taken the bounce out of your Tigger. That alone can explain a slower rate of healing. Hope it continues & you don't have any complication of a fungus amoungus.