Paw Pads Cut

Yesterday evening Otis cut one of his pad during the walk.. was bleeding quite a lot, we cleand it and bandage it and this morning we went to the vet...

the vet clean out the cut and she give us 2 options: stiches or glue..

but the stiches she wanted to do it under anesthesia... so we went for the glue.

She glued it and put a bandage around it and say to keep it on for at least 3-4 days, keep it clean and dry...

she gived also anti-biotics (apo-sulfatrim) and some deramax for the pain...

so Mr Otis is back home, sleeping on the sofa...

booboo_zpsd53bdc7e.jpg

would you have chosen the stitches?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Poor thing. Hope it heals quickly. Like you I would have chosen to try the glue first. Can't say what the right choice would have been. Guess you'll find out in the upcoming days. My suggestion, as you probably would already do, is to limit his activity on that foot. Leash walk only for a week or two. No bouncing, if possible. Good luck.

kudzu: thnaks, yes we are trying to keep Otis calm..not easy for a hyper grey :lol: the thing that will be difficult is to just do small walks.. we do at least 1 hour walk daily...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I've never had stitches hold on a paw pad, so I would have opted for glue or nothing. If you have a boot, you should use it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Otis is a good boy, he did not touch his bandage at all.. I put a pawzdogboot on it when we go outside to prevent the dirt and water to get on it...

He hops around on 3 legs... we had to change the bandage yesterday evening bescause it bled through but the cut stop bleeding after, this morning it did not bled.. we will change it tonight..

no problems so far with the antibiotics... poops are ok.. hoping it will continue..

he seems to be ok witht the deramax too... slep all night lon (even through the small earthquake of 4.5 Montreal had last night!!)

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

the cut still bled a little this morning.. guess it's "normal" since when he puts weight a little (since hoping on 3 legs is quite tiring thing to do)...

I'll try to take a picture when I change the bandage this evening..

what are you experiences with a cut digit pad? how long does it take to heal?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Sounds like the glue didn't hold, at least not all. My guess is that this will be healing from the inside out. That's actually a good thing, IMHO. It will appear to take longer but should still be fine. Just keep limiting activity. Patience, patience, patience.

My girl's wounds have either been on top of a digit or the webbing between. Webbing took F-O-R-ever. Just kept watching for any sign of infection. What seemed to really help were 10 soaks of a warm epsom salt solution with Betadine. It was just enough Betadine to make the water the color of tea. We did this a couple times a day.

my bigest fear at the moment is that Otis hurt his other front leg hoping around on 3 legs :(

we do very small 8-10minutes walks (Otis does not do his business in our yard!)

I try do restrain him to hop fast because after 2 days hoping he is guetting good and faster..

He does put his paw on the ground more this morning.. and even wanted to scratch the gorounds after his poop! I stop him right away.. a sign he is feeling better for sure ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

also, beside my worries in my previous post about Otis 3 leg hopping, should I give him yogurt or pro-biotics since he takes antibiotics?

his poops are totally normal at the moment...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Antibiotics can upset their tummies. I usually give them a pepcid (famotidine) before meals to help with that.

Don't worry so much about his hopping. Dogs with front leg amputations for osteo do it all the time. They do have to go faster because building momentum is easier with only one front leg.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I change the bandage...

it bled just a little, way less then yesterday or the day before.. starting to heal I guess.

BUT

as you see it did not stay glued at all.. :(

cut-otis_zpsf9fe8140.jpg

and I dont think stiches will hold either!

so I guess we will have to keep changing the bandage, restric walking to a minimal and wait until it heals by itself :(

should I put polysporin on it?

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

It actually looks pretty good Josie. I don't think either glue or stitches will hold, so you just need to manage it as best you can as an open wound.

I would soak the foot a couple times a day in warm water and epsom salts, keep it clean and dry as much as possible the rest of the time, and restrict his walking as much as possible. Polysporin can't hurt, but as long as he's on antibiotics it won't add much beyond protection. You do want to try and keep the pad sort of supple (not dried out and inflexible). If it gets too dry then the pad might start to crack and cause more problems. So polysporin will help there. Bag Balm or Vaseline or Mushers secret will help too.

I change the bandage...

it bled just a little, way less then yesterday or the day before.. starting to heal I guess.

BUT

as you see it did not stay glued at all.. :(

cut-otis_zpsf9fe8140.jpg

and I dont think stiches will hold either!

so I guess we will have to keep changing the bandage, restric walking to a minimal and wait until it heals by itself :(

should I put polysporin on it?

i would clean it once, as you did, place some cotton between the nails and pad and bandage. change every other day or 3rd day and rinse w/ peroxide. i found that really speeds up the healing. it debris the outer cells and lets it heal from the inside out. both of my dogs are always dealing w/ pad injuries, pad and webbing at the dew claw this week. i have left bandages w/ cooperative dogs on for a week, it did wonders. but if it's bleeding thru it's pressure on the cut, keep him quiet- potty trips only.

thanks to reasure me!

this morning he put more his paw on the the ground... I'll keep the bandage clean and and see...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

It is unfortunate, though not surprising, that the glue didn't hold. Really doubt the stitches would have either. Keep it clean & protected as you are now. Watch for signs of infection. Continue to limit activity as much as reasonable. Based on info from human dermatologists given to friends & relatives after have growths removed, I would use the antibiotic ointment at this point more to form a protective barrier for moist healing from the inside out. That's just what I would do though. YMMV

You are handling this well & Josie will be fine.

thanks!

breathe in..breathe out... ;)

I'll keep posting updates ;)

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

Otis is feeling better and I have to stop him this morning from running in the yard :riphair:lol:

can I leave his paw unbandage when he is inside? if it does not bleed? He started taking his wrapping out if unattended....

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data