Poor Winnie Had Surgery Yesterday!

Guest Alysmom

Guest Alysmom

Hi --

My poor Winnie had to have surgery yesterday. Ever since she came home (it has already been a month!!) She had a small lump on the edge of one end of her incision mark from being spayed. I was told it was a bump from the knot and would go down.... It didnt. I took her in last Tuesday and one of the vets at the clinic where she was spayed (not the vet who had done the surgery) said to just continue to watch it.... Long story short, by Friday night, she had a second lump (this one angry and firey red) on the opposite end of the incision scar. She had not licked it at all (I was with her for the entire prior 48 hours). Anyway, it appears she developed an "allergy" to the suitures on the inside and was getting an infection.

The incision had to be reopened and the original lump had to be completely removed (it was hard) so necessitated a circular incision to take it off and then the one that was becoming infected had to be completely cleaned out and all the interior stitches removed.. She has a hard neck collar on rather than a cone of shame... but poor baby!!!!! She is soooooo timid anyway, this is really hard for her.

Any suggestions to help speed along healing???? She is on an antibiotic and a pain pill twice a day. She eats the pills just fine with peanut butter....

So sad,poor baby girl!!!!!

Julie - Winnie's mom

I'm glad you kept an eye on things and took her in when you knew things weren't right. That being said, she's fine now and will continue to be fine. Don't "poor baby" her, or she might just start believing she's a poor baby.

You're far more traumatized by everything than she is. She's young and healthy, and again is fine. :)

~Amanda

Poor Winnie and how worrying for you.

I hope they actually cultured the bateria in that wound so that they were able to give her the correct antibiotic.

That original lump... was it unusual cell growth such as sometimes appears at injection sites? If so then they need to keep any inflammatory response damped down. In a few days time it should be getting on with healing nicely.

Guest IrskasMom

Julie , you are doing everything possible for Winnie. She is in good Hands with you. Winnie :bighug

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Alysmom

I just already love this little dog so much. It has only been a little over 2 months since I lost my beloved Homer, so i guess I am extra concerned.....

She is such a sweet little girl....

You could spray the area regularly with colloidal silver. I'm not all "gung ho" about most homeopathic remedies but I've proven to myself that colloidal silver actually WORKS. And works well.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Ice cream for Winnie and a nice adult beverage for you!

Colloidal silver does help. You might be able to find some at Coastal Farm and Ranch or Wilco . Nice warm compresses a couple times a day will help too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ice cream for Winnie and a nice adult beverage for you!

Colloidal silver does help. You might be able to find some at Coastal Farm and Ranch or Wilco . Nice warm compresses a couple times a day will help too.

Yup! Ice cream really does distract them from all their woes. A margarita does the same for us. If she's really stressed, maybe ask the vet for a couple xanax.

Guest Alysmom

You could spray the area regularly with colloidal silver. I'm not all "gung ho" about most homeopathic remedies but I've proven to myself that colloidal silver actually WORKS. And works well.

I have never heard of this....it is a painkiller spray? Can you use it where there is an incision?

I live not to far from Wilco, if they carry it I can pick some up tomorrow on my way home from work.... Also, he told me cold pack, so I've been doing cold today. Should I be switching to hot???

Guest DeniseL

Does your vet have a cold laser? It is supposed to improve healing time among other things. The only reason I suggest this is because Miami had a corn removal surgery a while back that left gigantic holes in his two paws. He was really having a rough time and the healing was taking forever. I took him to a holistic/rehab vet that I had previously taken maya to for her arthritis because I was just looking for a little input on the corn situation. We tried cold laser (totally experimental, we never found that it had been used on corns before) just to see if it would offer any pain relief....well, it seemed like overnight that his big holes healed up...pretty neat...especially since I had been noticing very little improvement before hand...I wonder if it could help heal up winnie's wound? Just a thought.... :)

Guest Alysmom

Hi Chris -- Thanks for asking - she is moving about better, and the brusing seems to have toned down from the red/blue to darker (doesnt look as angry/sore).

She absolutely hates the neck brace thingy.....needing much peanut butter for consolation!!!!:yay

Guest Alysmom

Does your vet have a cold laser? It is supposed to improve healing time among other things. The only reason I suggest this is because Miami had a corn removal surgery a while back that left gigantic holes in his two paws. He was really having a rough time and the healing was taking forever. I took him to a holistic/rehab vet that I had previously taken maya to for her arthritis because I was just looking for a little input on the corn situation. We tried cold laser (totally experimental, we never found that it had been used on corns before) just to see if it would offer any pain relief....well, it seemed like overnight that his big holes healed up...pretty neat...especially since I had been noticing very little improvement before hand...I wonder if it could help heal up winnie's wound? Just a thought.... :)

Thanks Denise -- if we have healing problems, I will keep this in mind!!!