"stinky Fish"

Guest Nycelle

Guest Nycelle

Hillary develops dandruff at the change of seasons. The kennel suggested that I give her sardines mixed in with her food. It just occured to me that by force of habit I bought them in water-do the sardines have enough oil in them alone, or did I defeat the purpose?

Guest Wasserbuffel

I give mine the in water variety too. It's the fish oil you're looking for, not the vegetable oil that they're sometimes packed in.

What you're really attempting to do is add Omega fatty acids to the dogs diet.

You can buy fish oil, fish, other forms that contain it--

As long as you have the right kind of fatty acids, it's all good!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

And sardines packed in oil are using soybean oil which is packed with Omega 6, which dogs (and humans) get too much of already. Avoid. Water or tomato sauce is OK.

Beth almost got pancreatitis from fish oil (in which the Omega 3 oxidizes really easily BTW), but does OK with modest amounts of sardines.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

millie likes sardines in tomato sauce, or in olive oil. i think those in water have extra salt, not good. don't like generic 'vegetable oil' ones.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Nycelle

You can buy fish oil, fish, other forms that contain it--

As long as you have the right kind of fatty acids, it's all good!

Yes, but fish oil is not nearly as tasty and entertaining as fishies....

Which in turn are no where near as entertaining as....FEET!

Just a FYI.... you can get water packed sardines with no salt added. I get them at Wal-Mart. I like them because of less waste.... just dump the "stinky fish water" right on their food to get the maximum stinkyness and oil.

Cara

I can say "stinky fishies" to Bella in a totally normal tone of voice and she starts bouncing around with her ears up, and runs to the drawer in which I store her treats, including sardines :lol

I'll give them to her about once a month - she doesn't really need the oil for her coat now that I bathe her very rarely and use a conditioner when I do, but she likes them so gets them occasionally.

Side note - I still haven't brought myself to buy chicken feet yet. I get weirded out looking at them in the grocery store and can't quite get them to the counter :unsure

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Jack Mackerel is good too, mine love it!

JackMackPuppyCrack!!! a.k.a canned Jack Mackeral is the ABSOLUTE FAVE here. It's REALLY cheap, and dogs LOVE it. It's crazy fish-oily - I can't imagine what humans use it for. It comes in a big can (15 oz?), so you can only give some per day. And at my house, the leftovers have to be double-ziplocked in the fridge, and the treat given outside. It REALLY stinks- and DH is a fish-hater.

And beware of the right-in-your-face burps. Just sayin!

I can't imagine what humans use it for.

Jack Mackrel is called "poor man's salmon". Think salmon patties, etc.

Hmmm ... ok. I love fish, but I never cook it (the afore-mentioned-fish-hater-DH).... but I think it would be difficult to work with. It's just SO oily. I dunno - that smell makes me wonder if I could even pull off salmon patties with it. I could see it as an ingredient in the basket on the show "Chopped"! But - I guess, like anything else, if you're used to cooking with it you know how to do it!

tried the sardine thing on emily- black coat, took a while to shed her kennel coat and winter came...dandruff city. finally we went to cold pressed salmon oil- that's what i've been using for the past 7 years. here's what we tried: sardines(great for me- i love sardine sandwiches), bacon fat(bad for me i love bacon sandwiches), olive oil(the only oil i ever use), safflower oil, linatone,mirra coa, nupro and finally cold pressed salmon oil. that was 3/4 of a year of experiements to get there. also i made sure the protien in the food was around 24% and fat content around 13%, that helps as well.