My 1St Batch Of Homemade Yogurt For Pj!

Guest kirstenbergren

Guest kirstenbergren

This weekend I made my 1st and 2nd batches of yogurt for PJ! He eats about 3/4 of a cup twice a day as a topper on his meals. If I didn't give this to him, he'd clear a whole floor in my house with his gas. It doesn't matter what food I put him on. So I figured that instead of buying lots and lots of yogurt over his lifetime, I'd start making some. Milk & cheese cloth are a lot cheaper than the yogurt from the store.

Here's a picture of my 1st batch:

post-25202-0-62294800-1349111217.jpg

1 gallon of milk turned into 2 1/2 quarts of yogurt. With my 2nd batch I got 2 3/4 quarts out of a gallon.

I just had to share with everyone on here because I was so proud of myself for making the yogurt! Plus, most people think I'm crazy and spoiling PJ with feeding him yogurt everyday. I know you guys won't think I'm spoiling him, or that I'm crazy???? lol

not crazy at all! :) I had been culturing Kefir milk/curds to give the girls every meal for the past year. I just stopped a month ago. Got tired of buying milk and suddenly just giving probiotic pills twice a day seemed so much easier for us. Enjoy!

------

Jessica

Guest team_tonio

Good for you! I am so not Susie Homemaker... we go through a large container of yogurt every week but I'd just as well buy it... crossed my mind to make it once... only for a hot minute tho :lol

As for the peeps who think you 'spoil' him with yogurt... have them dog sit a day you don't give it to him! They'll learn quick. :lol

Not spoiling at all, it is good for their gut. I have a yogurt maker, and I love that I can make my own with organic milk. The dogs always get some too, but usually only a couple of tablespoons.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SealDogMermaid

Just curious about which brand ppl like to use as far as store-bought is concerned? I am considering adding yogurt or a pro-biotic supplement to our 2's meals. Not quite at the homemade stage yet but if it works out according to plan and becomes a part of their regular diet I would certainly consider homemade!

Guest memadeit

Cool! I don`t need this for my dogs but would love it for myself! One question: I have heard homemade yogurt has much higher levels of the beneficial probiotics, but was just wondering how you get those in. Sorry I am clueless!

its naturally in if you use the yogart starter with pro-biotics. You can get the starter from someone who makes their yogart, or at a narual organic store.

but what I do is, we humans get to eat the yogart (which we use in place of sour cream and such) and I make greek yogart and save the whey for the dogs. My greys enjoy the whey with their kibble a lot more then the yogart itself.

Just curious about which brand ppl like to use as far as store-bought is concerned? I am considering adding yogurt or a pro-biotic supplement to our 2's meals. Not quite at the homemade stage yet but if it works out according to plan and becomes a part of their regular diet I would certainly consider homemade!

You can make three times the amount of homemade yogart for the price of what you get in the store.

and dont forget to save a starter for your next batch!!!!!!

Guest SealDogMermaid

You can make three times the amount of homemade yogart for the price of what you get in the store.

and dont forget to save a starter for your next batch!!!!!!

sweet! Thanks for the tip! ;-) Def need to stay economical these days!