Jack--Blood Work Issues, Something Is Wrong

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some prescription foods are formulated for long term use. I'm not sure which food Jack is on, but many of the low residue, GI diets are ok for long term maintenance feeding.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Jack is on Iams "Intestinal Plus", formerly "Low Residue".

And Jack is sick now. Same thing he's had several times before, what our vet calls gastritis. Restless, panting, throwing up, drinking lots of water. It started last night, and I gave him a sucralfate. That helped and he was able to sleep. But this morning, he's back to being bad again. :( Restless, panting, again threw up. I gave him another sucralfate, but I don't know what else to do....any suggestions? Jennifer?

Re: the bloodwork. The first time I talked to the vet about his bloodwork (last Friday) she mentioned that some other numbers were down. I didn't write everything down, she was rattling off things faster than I could write. But I *think* she said his kidney and liver values were okay, but maybe albumin was down?

I truly trust my vet. She is a friend as well as Jack's doctor, she is very knowledgable about greyhounds. I know she is indeed looking at the whole picture.

I am almost to the end of my rope. I don't know how much more I can take, given a lot of other things that have happened in the past almost-four years. It has not been a good four years.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

We're not saying you shouldn't trust your vet or that she isn't looking at the whole picture. However, it is hard for anywone to make suggestions when we can't see the whole picture. Also, from personal experience, should an emergency arrive & you need to go to ER or a different vet practice it is extremely helpful to have copies of prior bloodwork so the vets know what your dog's normal values are & if those have changed.

I wasn't implying that anyone thought our vet wasn't trustworthy. Not at all.

Jack has a temp of 104.5. They gave him sub-q fljids, cerenia, and penicillin. We know without a doubt that there is something wrong somewhere....hopefully tomorrow's ultrasound will find the problem.....whatever it is.

A bit of good news. Jack is feeling better now, and is able to rest. I guess the cerenia helped. I am still supposed to limit his water to small bits, and if he keep that down I can give him a little bit (tablespoon) of food, and if that stays down, 1/4 cup.

Limited the water is a challenge, because I am currently dog sitting two girl greyhounds for my friend. Just have to keep a close eye on Jack.

I am SOOO hoping the ultrasound finds the problem.

sending many prayers for Jack! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Good thoughts and prayers for Jack. Hopefully you'll have some answers soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I truly trust my vet. She is a friend as well as Jack's doctor, she is very knowledgable about greyhounds. I know she is indeed looking at the whole picture.

Like kudzu, I didn't mean to imply that your vet might not be looking at the whole picture. More that we aren't aware of the whole picture, so it's hard to make suggestions or help interpret your vet's recommendations. I hope that the ultrasound tomorrow reveals nothing serious. Keep us posted on how Jack is doing.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Just seeing all this now and wanted to wish Jack luck today and hope he feels better soon!!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

After a lot of searching by the ultrasound person, they found a mass. The vet said it looks to be 2-3 cm, and on the small bowel, maybe. Hard to tell. The liver, kidneys, and pancreas all looked okay.

He is scheduled for surgery Monday, but first they'll do a chest x ray. If they see anything on that, they will not proceed with surgery.

There's no way to know what type of mass it is until they get it out and biopsy it.

I was hoping for an answer, and I got one. Don't have to do the endoscopy, but this still sucks.

You and Jack are in my prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Adding my prayers as well...hugs to both you and Jack...

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

I will be praying for you and Jack.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

:( sending more prayers to you and Jack :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh Melissa, this is just so unfair :cry1. I'll be sending loads and loads of good thoughts and :grouphug 's to you---and to Jack.

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Yeah, it sure feels really unfair to me.....then again, I have always told my kids, who ever told you life was fair??

The thing I keep telling myself is that it is a good sign that he's still in pretty good shape....if it was cancer, surely he'd be doing worse by now (a year after he started having problems)....right?