Dancer Ate Coconut Oil -- A Lot

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Dancer is not like any of my other Greyhounds. Dancer is not like any of my other dogs. Dancer is .... Dancer.

He has been on soft food (Honest Kitchen) while his mouth tries to heal. I say tries because the area where the skin graft is still has a lot of dead skin. (I see stem cell therapy in his future). But does that stop him from fishing things out of the sink to chew up? nope. I am not used to this!!! Silver was a counter surfer --- for food, regular normal food... well okay and General Tsao's Chicken... but he did not shred plastic containers just because they had a crumb in them and I didn't have to barricade the sink or have it 100% empty at all times.

And he did Not open jars. I've already figured out that I had to put the butter up in the cupboard, but I did not think for a second of putting the coconut oil jar, with the lid on, away.

He likes Coconut oil -- and it's good for him. I clean his teeth with it, it's healthy and healing.. tonight I am gone to a meeting for 2 hours and he took the 16 oz plastic jar off the counter and Removed The tightly screwed on lid-- leaving just bloody remnants of the lid (about 1/2 missing) and a completely empty jar on the couch. Was a 16 oz jar; probably had 12-13 oz left.

I didn't yell, I didn't cry... I did call my daughter and panic on her. I did decide to give him bread to absorb the oil rather than trying to make him throw up due to the plastic .... but I was very upset and worried. Coconut oil is not, however, as bad as butter or most other kinds of oils..... However there is the matter of the jar lid-- and all the soft food I've been feeding him.

I know he Likes Coconut Oil, I am beginning to think that not having anything to chew is not making him happy. He did end up throwing up-- a LOT (yay).... seems like the plastic was getting soft -- maybe lid was made of a compostable material. I think, now that I've calmed down, that he probably won't get anything dire..... but I wondered if anyone had had experience with Coconut Oil bandits???

I would suggest putting in a call to the vet. Most likely all you'll have to deal with is screaming diarrhea, but the possibility of pancreatitis is nothing to fool around with.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Poor you. And poor Dancer.

Yeah, coconut oil is way more popular around here than fish oil or anything like that. I held out the spoon for Sam to lick it, and he took the spoon out of my hand and went back to his bed with it. And I thought I could refrigerate the jar and just scoop it out as needed--thought it might get as firm as shortening. It got as hard as a cold wax candle.

But I'm afraid I agree with everyone else: the risk of pancreatitis from that much oil is huge. And it's dangerous.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

How is Dancer today?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I'm so sorry.... I should have come back sooner .. between this and nursing the skin graft in his mouth I think I've lost all my brain cells. I apologize.

He's fine... he had a few days of strange poop (Coconut oil foams up... odd stuff); and he threw up a huge lot of it the same night on his own. I did check-- coconut oil is not as risky for pancreatitis as less soluble oils -- if it had been butter or olive oil (or a bunch of other things) I would have had him at the vet before even posting. That was my first through too. You can put a tablespoon in their food every night and it is nutritious and not dangerous, so i was hoping it wouldn't have the same effect as butter.

The reason I was so worried about the jar lid is that he is getting Honest Kitchen to eat in the hope of not breaking open the ski

n graft in his mouth -- and the idea of him gnawing on hard plastic had me hyper-ventilating. But, despite a lot of bleeding from the mouth, that too seems in tact.

The coconut oil is going to live in the dish cabinet -- which closes tightly!!!! I know refrigerating doesn't work--- but it will never ever ever sit on the kitchen counter again.

Late to this, but very glad to read that Dancer is going to be fine -- and I do hope his mouth heals completely soon. Coconut oil here lives on the highest shelf of my kitchen cupboards; apparently it is quite irresistible.

emily chewed the entire top off of a large container of nupro suppliment and ate the entire large container...strange poops to say the least. it took a couple of days of rice and she was fine. think good thoughts, some dogs are just garbage hounds and generally the garbage hounds seem to have cast iron stomachs.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

thank you for the update ... and so glad that everything (his stomach AND his mouth) are recovering. And I hope you found time for an adult beverage yourself.

Thank you -- yes, actually I did!!! :)