Thunder Is Home!-Update Post 1

Wonder

My foster, Thunder needs your prayers and good thoughts.

He'd been seizure free for 5 weeks (He's been on zonisamide for 5 weeks) but had seizures yesterday while I was at work.

Then he had 3 more last night so I took him to the e-vet.

He had 2 more there.

The e-vet transfered him to the speciality vet when they opened this morning. I have not gotten a call from them yet. If you can donate a few bucks for his vet bill please pm me for my groups paypal link. Thanks!

I'm very scared.

----------------------------

I called them, got tired of waiting for them to call me.

He had 2 focal seizures and 1 grandmal while at the e-vet.

They are going to keep him 24 hrs for observation.

If he doesn't have any more seizures, he will come home tomorrow.

If he does, they will start him on an IV drip something similar to vallium.

She upped his zonisamide from 250mg to 300mg. She is doing bloodwork to check the level (that's $380).

The bill last night was $400. The est for today/tomorrow is $600-$1000. If you can chip in a few bucks for GPA's Heal a Hound Fund, I would be grateful.

http://www.gpa-mn.org/donate.html

Please keep praying for him. He's a baby, only two and a half. He's such a sweet boy.

Here's a couple pictures I took at the e-vet last night.

314249_10151024901337583_1170527812_n.jpg

They put in a cath for the vallium

534440_10151024900817583_1596985452_n.jpg

Passion was along for the ride and jealous he got to go in back. She's such a goof and loves the vet.

560486_10151024900017583_1372681990_n.jpg

----------------------

Update Thursday afternoon

He's now had at least 8 seizures. They started a midazolam drip.

I have not asked what happens if they can't stop the seizures.

We are now at the high end of the estimate.

--------------

Email from the vet

Kari,

I just wanted to send a follow up regarding our conversation earlier today. First of all, Thunder just had another generalized/grand mal seizure, and we are starting a midazolam drip. The emergent treatment is aimed at stopping his cluster seizures with the midazolam drip. Longterm, we need to evaluate his daily seizure medication. His current dose of zonisamide is not as effective as we need it to be, and I have increased his dose to 300 mg twice daily. We are also submitting zonisamide levels. There are no studies that have directly compared phenobarbital to zonisamide; clinically, both medications typically are effective. As we discussed, about 15% of epileptic patients are resistant to daily seizure medications. If Thunder continues to have seizures on these medications, then adding a second seizure medication would be the next step, and phenobarbital would be a good option. Our presumptive diagnosis is idiopathic epilepsy. Unfortunately, there is no specific test for idiopathic epilepsy. We make the diagnosis clinically in patients that meet 3 criteria: between 1-5 years old at time of first seizure, normal in between seizures, and normal neurologic examination. Thunder meets these 3 criteria which lowers my suspicion of a primary brain disease. In order to be absolutely certain that Thunder does not have a brain tumor, brain malformation, or encephalitis, a brain MRI and spinal tap would be required. Estimated cost for MRI is $1800-2000; estimated cost for spinal tap is $600-800. For Thunder's immediate treatment and diagnostics, our estimate is $800-1000 ($350 for zonisamide levels, $250 for hospitalization and nursing care, and $200-400 for midazolam drip and injections).

------------------------

Update Friday morning

Good news! Thunder has not had any more seziures. The last one was yesterday at 10am and they started the midazolam drip. They started to wean the drip at 3pm yesterday and stopped it at 3am this morning. Still no seizures. Now he has to be seizure free for at least 12 hrs before I can bring him home. Thank you for all the good thoughts for him.

------------------------------

Another update

The emergency vet called and I can go get him. I asked if he can stay the day because I don't want to leave him home if I can't keep an eye on him. They said that's fine so I will go right after work to pick him up.

-----------------------

Saturday update

I picked up Thunder at 4pm yesterday. The tech went over his discharge before they brought him in. She said he looks so much better now. I didn't ask what she meant. Then he was in my arms. I was sobbing and hugging and kissing him. I realized he wasn't wagging his tail. I looked at him and he just didn't look right. I didn't say anything or question it and we left. I got him out to the car and he wouldn't jump in so I picked him up. When we got home, he wouldn't jump out so I helped him. Got him inside and fed him right away. After that we hung out a while until I had to go to a party. I brought him with and he hung out in the bedroom with my friends DH and their 2 hounds. I warned him he was pretty mellow but to yell if he thought he was having a seizure. He was fine and slept the until 3 hours. I did call the emergency clinic to report that he was not acting himself. They said just to keep an eye on him. I assumed it was a side effect from the drip.

When we went to go to bed last night, he wouldn't go up the stairs so I helped him up the stairs. He wouldn't jump on the bed either. I helped him up and he laid right next to me instead of his normal spot. I had him arm around him all night so I could feel if he had a seizure. I woke up several times to check on him but he was fine.

This morning the neuro vet called with his bloodwork results. She said the zoni was in the right range so that means it's not working for him. She's adding phenobarb to the zoni. I told her how he'd been acting and she said because he had to many cluster seizures, it will take a few days for his body to get back to normal. I said that his vision seems to be impaired and she said that's normal but it will get better.

He's been sleeping all day and just now whined at the top of the stairs for me to help him down. He went outside for a bit, came in and played with some stuffies and now he's laying on a dog bed, panting. The vet told me to give him one of Passions pheno pills this morning since it's the same dose. He's been whining off and on the past 15 mins. Crap- another whiner now. Does pheno kick in that quickly? It's only been 5.5 hours since I gave him a dose!

I'm going to take him with when I go get his script and I have to stop at the emergency vet to get the blanket that I left for him and they forgot to give me.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try rectal valium to stop the seizures?

edited to add ... about a month ago my Lucy went into clusters (5 in 24 hours), before that she had been seizure free for about 5 months. I used the rectal Valium to get them under control.

Edited by MaryJane

Kari I'm so sorry this is happening to Thunder. :( His story is soo similar to Steaks it makes me sad and it's difficult to read.

Steak was 6 weeks seizure free when he clustered.

I'm thinking positive thoughts for Thunder.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Kari I'm so sorry this is happening to Thunder. :( His story is soo similar to Steaks it makes me sad and it's difficult to read.

I kept thinking of you and Steak last night. :grouphug

I used to read your posts but until it was happening to me, I had no idea how hard it was to watch and how helpless I felt.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sending best thoughts for your boy, Kari.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So scary. So we'll be sending good thoughts for Thunder AND you!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Hopefully they have him drugged enough to break the cluster. The increase in the meds should help too. Still praying for him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I kept thinking of you and Steak last night. :grouphug

I used to read your posts but until it was happening to me, I had no idea how hard it was to watch and how helpless I felt.

I know how hard it is :( :( :( sending MANY MANY MANY prayers he gets under control! I'll send a few bucks your way too. Sending hugs.

:hope :hope :grouphug:hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kari,

Do you know the reason she didn't start him on phenobarbital instead of the zoni in the

first place?

She mentioned why in her email below.

Kari,

I just wanted to send a follow up regarding our conversation earlier today. First of all, Thunder just had another generalized/grand mal seizure, and we are starting a midazolam drip. The emergent treatment is aimed at stopping his cluster seizures with the midazolam drip. Longterm, we need to evaluate his daily seizure medication. His current dose of zonisamide is not as effective as we need it to be, and I have increased his dose to 300 mg twice daily. We are also submitting zonisamide levels. There are no studies that have directly compared phenobarbital to zonisamide; clinically, both medications typically are effective. As we discussed, about 15% of epileptic patients are resistant to daily seizure medications. If Thunder continues to have seizures on these medications, then adding a second seizure medication would be the next step, and phenobarbital would be a good option. Our presumptive diagnosis is idiopathic epilepsy. Unfortunately, there is no specific test for idiopathic epilepsy. We make the diagnosis clinically in patients that meet 3 criteria: between 1-5 years old at time of first seizure, normal in between seizures, and normal neurologic examination. Thunder meets these 3 criteria which lowers my suspicion of a primary brain disease. In order to be absolutely certain that Thunder does not have a brain tumor, brain malformation, or encephalitis, a brain MRI and spinal tap would be required. Estimated cost for MRI is $1800-2000; estimated cost for spinal tap is $600-800. For Thunder's immediate treatment and diagnostics, our estimate is $800-1000 ($350 for zonisamide levels, $250 for hospitalization and nursing care, and $200-400 for midazolam drip and injections).

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

update post 1

Kari,

Do you know the reason she didn't start him on phenobarbital instead of the zoni in the

first place?

She said there's no research showing that pheonbarb is more effective than zoni.

crap :( :(

I know with Rainey, the only thing that kept her seizure free for more than 3 days at a time was a combo of pheno, zonisamide and keppra. She still seized on the zoni and keppra and only when the pheno was added did anything change. :(

sending more hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh Kari, I am sending lots of good thoughts that Thunder will be ok :hope

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Oh no! Not my true love Thunder!!!!

Come on sweetie- pull through! This is breaking my heart.

I have saved your donate link and will be donating this evening or tomorrow AM.

:( if you need ANYTHING, let me know. I know I am far away here in Florida but I will do whatever I can to help you and Thunder.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Thank you everyone for praying for him. He still needs more prayers but I wanted to thank everyone for them and the donations.

My work has been awesome- I'm very lucky. I'm sure they would prefer me to be home since I'm crying all the time but they are very supportive. My work donated $150 plus my co-workers all have chipped in some as well. I think I have last night paid for now.

Thank you again everyone!!

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17