Red Bump At Spay Incision Site

Guest MR1019

I've had my grey for three weeks now and today I noticed a red bump almost like a big zit right where her incision site was from where she got spayed five weeks ago. She isn't licking it or even acts like she knows its there but I'm worried its going to rip open or something. Anybody have any ideas what could be going on and if I need to take her in?

Did the vet use normal sutures or the dissolving kind? When I had Diego neutered, one of the dissolving stitches lingered for several weeks after his surgery.

Is it oozing? Can you post a picture?

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

George had a bump like you describe after he was neutered. I don't know how long it took, but it disappeared. If the bump isn't bothering her, of there are no signs of infection, I wouldn't worry about it.

I am a firm believer that ALL newly adopted dogs should go to the vet with their new owner within the first couple of weeks anyway, if for no other reason that to introduce the dog to your vet when it ISN"T sick, so if you decide to do that, just remember to ask about it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

As far as what type of sutures were used I'm not sure but it's odd because everything appeared well healed up until today when I noticed the bump. I looked up her record and she was spayed 8/12/12. I'm going to schedule an appointment soon to meet the vet and I can ask about it then. Ill post a pic when I get home today.

if it's at the head of the incision it is probably the knot from the internal, dissolvable stitches. Mousie took her knot out herself by licking it until she slipped it out. It healed within two days after that. It's not uncommon for the knot to cause irritation and not dissolve like it's supposed to

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

My foster is dealing with this right now. My friend who is a vet tec said it was a reaction to one of the internal sutures. Told me to keep area clean and it most likely will resolve it self. If not they may have to remove the suture ( said it was common)

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08